snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 02 March 2016, 12:12 PM

Default Dark Tower: The Gunslinger stars Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey

Quote:
The tower has begun to peek above the horizon.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29...ew-mcconaughey
Old 02 March 2016, 12:38 PM

More about the casting choices, and the almost immediate uproar it caused...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/...the-dark-tower

Quote:
"I understand that people who are thoughtful about the storytelling and the racial politics of the storytelling might want to understand how that informs that storytelling, and I respect that and I hear that, and those things are not things we didn't think about or don't think about. The racist a--holes should go f--k themselves."
Old 02 March 2016, 05:19 PM

My only (exceedingly minor) reservation about Idris Elba as Roland is not his skin colour but his build. Roland is tall and lanky (like McConaughey). Idris Elba is tall, but he's broad and muscular in a way that does not seem right for this rough and haggard gunslinger.
Old 02 March 2016, 05:27 PM

Hello Kitty

Eh, Hugh Jackman is much taller than Wolverine ever was in the comics and it still turned out to be amazing casting.

Granted I've never read the Dark Tower series so I don't have a horse in this race.
Old 02 March 2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
Granted I've never read the Dark Tower series so I don't have a horse in this race.
That's mostly where I'm at, too. I've read the first two books and don't care for the writing overly much. Idris Elba, aka my secret tv boyfriend, gives me something to look forward to more than anything.

(I am committed to finishing the series out of a weird marital agreement, however, so we'll see how I feel about book 3 pretty soon.)
Old 02 March 2016, 06:18 PM

Hello Kitty

I mean, I do have a horse in this race and that horse is "Please put Idris Elba in everything so I can watch him all the time, thank you."
Old 02 March 2016, 06:50 PM

They're not going to go back in time and get a young Clint Eastwood, and any A- or B-list actor trying to do an Eastwood impression is just going to come off as someone trying to do an Eastwood impression. They may as well make a conscious break from that image rather than inviting an unflattering comparison.

I have serious doubts about this whole project working as a film, but the casting is the least of their worries. It takes place in a multiverse with very non-linear time and proceeds according to some kind of abstract dream logic. One of the major characters is an evil train. It's 8 long and dense novels and supplemental material, and it still doesn't really tell a complete story, yet they seem to be talking about compressing that down to a single film. They're going to run into some problems regardless of the cast.

Last edited by Errata; 02 March 2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02 March 2016, 07:06 PM

I'm fairly certain they do not intend to get the entire series into one film (and saying it is eight novels is not very accurate, as one of those novels was written after the series was done and is not about the same characters, and there are also several short stories and graphic novels that would bring the count up). They have said that there is room for more movies if this does well, so it seems that they are just doing The Gunslinger.

I still think that Roland will have the Horn of Eld to start the movie, and everything we think we know about the series will be thrown out right at the beginning. That is pretty much the only thing I can think of that matches all of the statements about the movie, from the casting and the thought they have given it to King's statement that it is a brilliant and creative way to adapt the story.

And as to whether anyone can play it like Eastwood without it being seen as an Eastwood impression, I give you Timothy Olyphant. Between Deadwood and Justified, he has basically already done the role. I'm perfectly happy with Elba, but when I mentally cast this, it was always Olyphant for Eddie, until he got old enough to be right for Roland.
Old 02 March 2016, 09:04 PM

The build is wrong, and what bugs me the most is eye color. His blue eyes are pointed out frequently in the books.
Old 02 March 2016, 09:50 PM

Hello Kitty

Yeah, and Harry Potter was supposed to have his mother's green eyes. Meh.
Old 03 March 2016, 01:09 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
I mean, I do have a horse in this race and that horse is "Please put Idris Elba in everything so I can watch him all the time, thank you."
Totally with you. Not even a fan of the book series, never could really get into it, but I may watch because I love Elba and I like sticking it to racist nfbskwads who are probably losing their collective shit over this.
Old 03 March 2016, 02:32 AM

My husband, who is a really big fan of Idris Elba and would be happy to see him as the new Doctor, does not like the casting of Elba as Roland. Elba just doesn't have the right feel to him. He suggested that Michael K. Williams would be a much better fit if there's a specific desire to cast a person of colour as Roland.
Old 03 March 2016, 02:58 AM

'Able sir, did evolution no it? U loved Idris Elba'

I'm sure someone can do better. My lunch break is only fifteen minutes.
Old 03 March 2016, 07:11 AM

My main concern is not the casting, it's that the books are mostly very sloppy writing. Sure, King is good with words, but he is not as good at weaving a tight story. I read the series about a year or so ago, and while I enjoyed it, afterwards I was left wit a feeling that much of the story was there just to keep the words flowing, it had little or no practical effect on the story.

It's very evident that King does not know where the story is going, he introduces elements which are then just discarded, or has to do some contorsion of the story line to get out of a fix he hadn't foreseen.

Examples (here be spoilers!):

He kills of Walter. However, later he brings him back for no good reason, and one expects some great showdown, but he is simply killed and eaten by Mordred, just like that. The slow kid who was brought back to thunderclap and suddenly had teleporting powers is another example.

The entire Oz thing was unneeded and didn't advance the story, as was the monorail arc and much of the Lud story line. The same goes for much of the Thunderclap story line. What was the thing with the Tet corporation? All that text gave nothing to the story, just a few trinkes which weren't used anyway... The entire vampira storyline? Did it actually add anything to the story?

Much of the story has a strong feeling of "OK, how am I going to get another book out of this?". It's a fun ride, but it lacks the tightness of a well crafted story. Some author (Dostoyevski?) once said "If you mention that there's a rifle hanging on the wall, it must be fired before the book ends.". That's the kind of precision in the story King lacks here.

That said, I enjoyed the books and will watch the movies.
Old 20 May 2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I still think that Roland will have the Horn of Eld to start the movie, and everything we think we know about the series will be thrown out right at the beginning. That is pretty much the only thing I can think of that matches all of the statements about the movie, from the casting and the thought they have given it to King's statement that it is a brilliant and creative way to adapt the story.
I'm going to say that I called this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
Some author (Dostoyevski?) once said "If you mention that there's a rifle hanging on the wall, it must be fired before the book ends."
That is Chekhov's Gun.
Old 02 August 2017, 09:50 PM

So, the first showings of this are in less than 30 hours, and there are no reviews yet. In addition, Sony had swapped the release date from last week to move The Emoji Movie ahead of it. This does not bode well.
I have tickets for Saturday already, and I'm going to see it regardless of reviews. If nothing else, it will continue in my recent viewing of everything made based on King's work. No matter how bad it is, I can't imagine a movie starring Elba and McConaughey being worse than Firestarter or Silver Bullet.
Old 03 August 2017, 02:38 AM

Don't compare the book to the movie. Enjoy each for what it is.
Old 03 August 2017, 02:44 PM

No

Quote:
That is Chekhov's Gun.
And a related thematic concept that I am surprised doesn't come up more often (given how much time they spent on it in various grades as I was growing up, it's almost like the emphasis on it was unique to my particular school system and text books) is Poe's "single effect." Sharing only because... Because book learnin'!

Quote:
So, the first showings of this are in less than 30 hours, and there are no reviews yet.
First round of Metacritic results are in... It doesn't look good.
Old 03 August 2017, 02:55 PM

Yeah, not looking like a good movie. Well, I'll still be seeing it, as I have my tickets and I've watched literally everything else available based on Mr. King's works - I even tracked down a Russian animated version of Battleground in my quest for completeness.