snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 06 January 2016, 06:26 AM

Default The good, the bad, and the ugly about where you live

I thought this might be interesting mainly because I like to learn things about places.
I'm not sure exactly what separates the bad and ugly from each other, so use your own subjective judgement. And if you want to include two goods so it's more balanced, feel free to do so.

I'll start:

Visalia, CA, USA
Goods: easy driving distance to both coast and mountains, and lots of fresh produce.
Bad: Air quality.
Ugly: 105F summers
Old 06 January 2016, 07:19 AM

Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Goods: easy walking distance to coast and mountains, with generally good views of both. Diverse agriculture, wine, fresh seafood, local artists and artisans. 75F Summers and 60F Winters, clear skies, fresh air, very little weather. 100% Walk Score in dense downtown. Small town charm with a wider array of amenities than normally found in communities of similar size.

Bad: Expensive real estate, which unlike most expensive larger cities is not linked to a commensurately high paying job market, making it one of the least affordable places in the country to live in terms of real estate/income ratio. Ebb and flow of temporary population and seasonal crowds, with large student and tourist populations. Not that much going on at night most of the time if you don't feel like getting hammered with the aforementioned students and tourists, with most things besides bars closing pretty early.

Ugly: Very high rates of homelessness. Fourth year of drought is not looking great.
Old 06 January 2016, 03:26 PM

Glasses

Seattle, Washington, USA

Good: Mountains both east (Cascades) and west (Olympics), Puget Sound, skiing less than 1 hour from the city. The Fremont troll, the Space Needle, Pike Place Market, Chihuly at Seattle Center.

Bad: Very expensive real estate, intrusive city council (you can't cut more than 3 trees on your own property without permission), tunnel boondoggle.

Ugly: Traffic, homelessness, earthquake potential.

Seaboe
Old 06 January 2016, 03:51 PM

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Good: Very close to the Rockies and some of the most beautiful places in the world. Surprisingly nice natural areas in town, good parks, one of the most extensive pathways systems in North America. Also surprisingly walkable for an oil town, and as much as people complain about transit, it's pretty good. Very nice downtown core. Not as conservative (especially socially) as its reputation. Awesome mayor.

Bad: Still has the hallmarks of an oil town: massive suburban sprawl and the car-dependent areas to go with it. Real Estate and renting are expensive, especially for walkable or central communities (an small 60s era home in my modest neighbourhood will run $500-800k). It's difficult to get into the housing market. High cost of living if you're not working in the industry. Everything depends on a boom and bust cycle. Waaaay too many giant trucks. 'Texas North' isn't exactly earned, but you can see where it comes from.

Ugly: We're in a major economic downturn right now, so there's an air of negativity over the entire city and tens of thousands of job losses in O&G. It's not a fun atmosphere at the moment. Also, the drivers are terrible.
Old 06 January 2016, 03:52 PM

Riverton, Utah, USA (suburb and in the same valley as Salt Lake City)

Good: Greatest snow on Earth for skiing, easy access to all sorts of outdoor activities, geekiest population out there which means the best Comic Con not in San Diego

Bad: Extremely conservative politics, with a long standing super-majority of Republicans in the state legislature

Ugly: When the inversion sets in, some of the worst air quality in the nation
Old 06 January 2016, 04:38 PM

Boston, Massachusetts (and surrounding cities and towns):

Good:
Transportation
Cultural and lifestyle diversity
entertainment/nightlife
liberal/decmocratic slant (if you're a liberal/democrat)
rich history
seasons, for those wanting them
Most stores are open on Sundays, and some pharmacies/stores are 24 hours

Bad:
high cost of living
parking is difficult and/or pricey in the city
public transportation not so good to further distances from the city
liberal/decmocratic slant (if you're not a liberal/democrat)
poor driving conditions (crazy drivers, frequent constructions, poor signage or painted lanes)
Rather cold in winter and rather hot in summer, can go anywhere from the teens in winter to 90s in summer - both seasons get uncomfortable

Ugly:
Nothing really major stands out for me, so I'd go with high cost of living and driving conditions

I know there are other Snopesters out there who've visited or lived in the area, so please feel free to add/modify.
Old 06 January 2016, 05:32 PM

Fox Lake, Illinois

The Good: The Chain O' Lakes (lots of water recreation), Illinois Politics (for entertainment purposes only), situated equidistant from Milwaukee and Chicago - far enough away to be able to enjoy open lands; close enough to enjoy culture of both cities.

The Bad: The Chain O' Lakes (lots of traffic in the summer), Illinois Politics, VERY conservative part of the state, too damned cold in the winter, too damned hot in the summer.

The Ugly: Illinois Politics (debt worse than California). Perception of locals being hicks (town sometimes known as Fox Tucky). Local "hero" cop turns out to have committed suicide to try to cover up stealing from Explorers program. (note, 30 years ago, I could have put "The Chain O' Lakes" in here because of pollution levels, but they've done a whole lot to clean them up.)
Old 06 January 2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaD View Post
Visalia, CA, USA
Goods: easy driving distance to both coast and mountains, and lots of fresh produce.
Bad: Air quality.
Ugly: 105F summers
Those pretty much all apply to Folsom, CA, USA as well, but to add my own...

Good: Approximately 2 hours drive to both San Francisco and Lake Tahoe. Low crime rates. Miles of bicycle and walking paths.
Bad: Relatively high cost of living compared to the rest of the country (although low compared to the coastal parts of CA). Suburban sprawl.
Ugly: Extreme drought affecting the entire state. Very dry summers even in normal years. Native Californians might be used to the "golden" hills from June through October, but I do find the brown grass kind of ugly.
Old 06 January 2016, 06:19 PM

Florissant, MO, northern suburb of St. Louis

good: close enough to St. Louis sports teams to enjoy them, far enough to ignore the downtown traffic reports, winters mild but not so easy that a light dusting of snow shuts down the area

bad: school district not one of the better ones in the area, but I don't know how they compare to other parts of the state, let alone the country; not convenient to many good jobs compared to parts further south

ugly: The Eastern part of the city is not so different from adjoining Ferguson.
Old 06 January 2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Temple View Post
Florissant, MO, northern suburb of St. Louis

good: close enough to St. Louis sports teams to enjoy them, far enough to ignore the downtown traffic reports, winters mild but not so easy that a light dusting of snow shuts down the area

bad: school district not one of the better ones in the area, but I don't know how they compare to other parts of the state, let alone the country; not convenient to many good jobs compared to parts further south

ugly: The Eastern part of the city is not so different from adjoining Ferguson.
Out of curiosity, are you in the Hazelwood School District or the Ferguson-Florissant School District? I went to Hazelwood, and at the time it was in the top five school districts in the state, but my parents both report since us kids graduated, the district has lost its standing (I think one of my parents said Hazelwood East is no longer accredited?)

But back in my day....almost all the kids I went to school with had parents working for McDonnell-Douglas. (And that probably dates me big time.) I drove by Village Square when I was there over Christmas, and it was weird to see it deserted.

As for me....

Unincorporated Arapahoe County (mailing address of a suburb hell and gone from where I live), Denver Metro Area, Colorado

Good: Four doors down from a conservation area. Beautiful. Easy commute to the DTC for work (I've cut my commute in half.) Nice and quiet. In one of the best school districts in the Denver metro area with some of the better schools in said district. Easy access to major roadways to get places.

Bad: Do need a car in this area, as public transit isn't big in this area and it's just undeveloped enough for amenities to not be within easy walking distance. (You could, it would just take you 40 minutes to get there as opposed to a five minute drive.) However, having looked at the plans on the Arapahoe County webpage, that could change in a few short years.

Ugly: I haven't been in this particular area long enough to say "ugly" on anything yet, but I could say that due to the overall rising rent/housing prices in Denver overall, this house probably cost me more than it would have some years ago. (But to be fair, that worked out to my advantage when I sold my old one--I got a lot more for it than what would usually be expected of a townhouse that age in the area I used to be in.)
Old 07 January 2016, 02:12 AM

Small Florida beach town on the east coast:

The good: It's sunny and warm. The beach is free and open 24 hours. Dogs are allowed on the beach, and the dog parks are free. Unlike much of South Florida, you don't have to pay to park anywhere.

The bad: Rent and housing prices are astronomical. There is nothing to do. There is no culture. The Starbucks even closes at 9 PM. The town is family-oriented and millionaire-oriented. Lots of yuppies and elderly folks. Public transportation is limited and you can't get anywhere outside your neighborhood without a car, but gas is more expensive here than anywhere else in the county. Good luck finding people between the ages of 18 and 40 living here.

The ugly: It is a claustrophobic, conformist, racist town that drives young people to suicide, but no one over 40 acknowledges this. It is not a place for anyone who enjoys nightlife, art, music, diversity, non-conformity, or life in general. This is where rich white conservatives move to get away from "those people" (i.e. non-whites) who make Broward and Miami "dangerous" places to live. The black population here is in a segregated community that you'd never know existed if you didn't grow up here like I did. Any black person seen driving through a white neighborhood will set off a neighborhood crime watch. Hispanics are tolerated because they do the housekeeping and lawn maintenance, but their segregated neighborhood in the center of town is considered an eyesore to the community. Welcome to Whitey McWhitesville, where people will never openly admit to disliking anyone...they're just quiet about their racism and bigotry. Confederate flags won't be tolerated, but neither will homeless people or any non-white person standing on a street corner. But even if you're white, if you have any unnatural hair color or piercings, or if you wear black, prepare to be stared at with suspicion and whispered about.

Yeah, there's a lot of ugly. I grew up here and it almost killed me, and two people in my high school did commit suicide. I wound up back here last year because I had no money and had to move in with my parents, and then out of all the places I applied for a job, the only place that would hire me was located here. Based on my need for job training and my spotty resume history, I need to have at least 3-5 years at this place in order for future employers to take me seriously. So I'm looking to move south to a larger city and commute until I can get out of here permanently.
Old 07 January 2016, 02:49 AM

Roseburg, Oregon

The Good: Very pleasant climate- winters generally aren't too cold (this year has been an exception) and summers generally aren't too hot. Very scenic area.

The Bad: It's at least an hour's drive to get anywhere else. There's little going on locally, especially for younger people who are single.

The Ugly: It's a very conservative, white area. Southern Oregon has had a long history of racism and it's still very apparent- there are a lot of Confederate flags on vehicles around here. The area is also poor. We had one of the best public library systems in the country at one point, but lack of money has caused it to dwindle down to the point where it's barely able to keep staffed, much less purchase new materials. Public schools have similar issues.
Old 07 January 2016, 07:04 AM

Borlänge, Sweden

Good: There are some nice people here, the summers are wonderful and I love my house. Reasonable distances to larget towns. They do a lot for youth activities (it's not a coincidence that Borlänge has produced more bands than any other town in Sweden, bar the two big ones).

Bad: It's currently -25 degrees Celsius. Need I say more?

Ugly: Even if it's not built entirely around the two big industries anymore (and they lose importance by the day), some parts of the town feel very industrial. They are building a lot to fix that, but it's a slow process. Also, quite a few racists here, among them, most of the police force.
Old 07 January 2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Roseburg, Oregon

The Good: Very pleasant climate- winters generally aren't too cold (this year has been an exception) and summers generally aren't too hot. Very scenic area.

The Bad: It's at least an hour's drive to get anywhere else. There's little going on locally, especially for younger people who are single.

The Ugly: It's a very conservative, white area. Southern Oregon has had a long history of racism and it's still very apparent- there are a lot of Confederate flags on vehicles around here. The area is also poor. We had one of the best public library systems in the country at one point, but lack of money has caused it to dwindle down to the point where it's barely able to keep staffed, much less purchase new materials. Public schools have similar issues.
We went through Roseburg last summer. I have to admit I don't really remember it, since it was the next-to-last day of our trip up the coast then down 5.
Old 07 January 2016, 08:10 AM

There's really not much to it. Roseburg doesn't really have anything special to draw people to it besides a small summer concert series (the music's usually all right, but it's typically pretty tame) in one of the parks and a few local vineyards. Traveling down I-5, you'd have seen our regional airport, a few box stores, and the local high school.
Old 07 January 2016, 08:47 AM

Our main purpose for the trip was to explore the coast. We then cut over to Portland, went to the zoo (which I loved!) and headed down I5 for home.
The weather was beautiful -- it didn't rain the entire week we were in Oregon -- and we fell in love with the central coast region.
We went back right after Christmas for 10 days. It only rained two. I'm beginning to think we have an adverse effect or Oregon's weather!
Old 07 January 2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalene View Post
Out of curiosity, are you in the Hazelwood School District or the Ferguson-Florissant School District? I went to Hazelwood, and at the time it was in the top five school districts in the state, but my parents both report since us kids graduated, the district has lost its standing (I think one of my parents said Hazelwood East is no longer accredited?)
Ferguson-Florissant, but, if I'm not mistaken, there's a school in the Hazelwood School district about the same distance to the south of us that the Template's school is to the north.
Old 07 January 2016, 03:45 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post

Bad: Extremely conservative politics, with a long standing super-majority of Republicans in the state legislature

We have the same problem in the Maryland legislature, but it's Democrats. Yes we have Republican governor, but the House and State Senate are still Democrats. One party rule is not good regardless of party IMO.

OK, about Montgomery County MD.....

Good: no place in this county can truly be called 'the sticks' anymore; great snow plow crews-seriously; lots of parks; great library system. Great county fair.

Bad: High cost of living; a 'we know better than you do', ie, nanny state attitude; the job market is way too dependent on the federal government, but that is true of the whole DC area. Revenuers, aka speed cameras. The local news talk station pays very little attention to state politics because the attention is all on the feds.

Ugly: Hard to put it into words,but the smug level around here is suffocating; again, hard to pinpoint, but leave the area and you can tell the difference. The area's notorious summer.

I have very mixed emotions about living here, but I do have a job in the area, and DH isn't too keen on moving.

Dawn--it ain't perfect but it's home--Storm.
Old 07 January 2016, 05:51 PM

Houston, TX

The good: Museums, theaters, and every type of cuisine you could want
The bad: Mosquitoes, traffic, roaches the size of houses
The ugly: As friendly as people usually seem around here, there are plenty of bigots ready to come crawling out of the woodwork when it's time to vote
Old 07 January 2016, 06:11 PM

Baseball

Tiberias, Israel

The Good: living in a live history book near Capernaum, Hippos, Migdal, Nazareth, Jordan River and the Sea of Galilee. Gorgeous scenery, beautiful weather, great food, peaceful community. Amazing wildlife (flora and fauna) outside town.

The Bad: because it is an Orthodox town, everything is closed 2 days per week. There are very few social hangouts. It is expensive. Most here don't like the UN. Nearest movie theatre to see the Star Wars film is in Haifa on the Med coast. Scorpions, vipers, scallopanders, spiders galore.

The Ugly: 23 km east of here civilisation is doing its best to destroy itself. I have a bomb shelter in my house, and there is a need for it. Politics is ugly, very ugly here. With the latest Hezbollah and IDF spat, there are major restrictions on movement in the region.

But, if anyone wants to come over, I'd gladly give them a tour.