snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 15 December 2017, 11:12 AM

tl- excellent capturing of the phenomenon. That happens to me often. I am glad to have a name to put to it now.
Old 15 December 2017, 02:23 PM

I am glad I'm not the only one who does that!

(I suspected I'm not; but it's kind of nice to have acknowledged company.)
Old 15 December 2017, 02:27 PM

Glasses

My SOMETHING is whatever is on my to-do list that involves making a phone call. I try to make myself do it right away so that I won't brood about it. If it sits for any length of time it becomes an all-caps SOMETHING.

Seaboe
Old 15 December 2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
ASL, reminds me of my doing what I call "getting blocked" on something...
When I bought my house in late 2008 it was a bank-owned foreclosed house, so the previous owners had no motivation to fix any of the things that were wrong with it. At the time I had all these visions of how I was going to renovate the place -- tip out the old, torn, stained carpet and replace it with laminate flooring, replace or at least re-face the 1970s kitchen cabinets, maybe put in a real full-sized dishwasher instead of the portable unit I'm using. Shortly after I moved in I did do some major repairs/upgrades that really needed to be done -- replacing the roof and replacing most of the windows, but at the time I told myself that the purely cosmetic stuff could wait until I've saved up some more money. So now it's been over nine years and apart from some painting I've still done none of those things I wanted to do. I still have the same old torn carpet and old cabinets, etc. I really just don't want to have to deal with calling contractors, getting estimates, having to move the furniture in order to replace the flooring, etc.
Old 15 December 2017, 07:16 PM

We are at year 13, Wildabeast. At this point, I have decided I sort of like the ugly color in the dining room. And the bathroom has a certain charm, what with the floor being at a slant so that the water doesn't drain from the shower. And the kids are old enough they don't need a bathtub anymore, the makeshift tub downstairs worked out ok.
Old 15 December 2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
My SOMETHING is whatever is on my to-do list that involves making a phone call. I try to make myself do it right away so that I won't brood about it. If it sits for any length of time it becomes an all-caps SOMETHING.

Seaboe
This, too, and doubly or more so if I know that the place I'm calling will require working through an automated menu.
Old 15 December 2017, 09:04 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
snip - So now it's been over nine years and apart from some painting I've still done none of those things I wanted to do. - snip
Seventeen years ago we were visiting a friend and her husband when she said, "You guys should buy that ugly house across the street and paint it so we don't have to look at it." Later that evening we trudged across the road to look at it. It didn't seem too bad.

The next day we went back to see it in the daylight. It was stucco. Not a nice fine stucco but a very rough stucco and there were clam shell designs carved into it. The stucco was sectioned off by six inch boards. The boards were dark green. The stucco was mint green and the eaves troughs were the original brown. It was ugh - lee. And after living in it for seventeen years it is unchanged.

I did buy a paint gun to redo it with. Maybe this summer.
Old 15 December 2017, 09:17 PM

I've got you all topped. I have been here for 30 years now and the walls in my bedroom are still, um, strange.

(Someone had at some point used on them, for wallpaper, that fake-brown-wood look stickon paper -- I can't think of the name for it now, [ETA: Contact paper! thought of it, of course, the minute I posted. It comes in various other colors; and good grief, they're still selling it, including to put on your walls. Please don't!] but it's not designed to be wallpaper, and once it's on it's next to impossible to get off; especially to get off of old plaster without destroying the plaster. I'd need to drywall over it, probably. And there had apparently been a couple of large feet-shaped stickers on one wall which had been removed, but the footprints, sadly, remain behind.)

When I first moved here, I thought that fairly soon I'd use one of the other bedrooms for a while and get the largest one redone. The other bedrooms did get redone. So did the kitchen, the bathrooms, the office, and, mostly, the dining room. The living/room library (whose walls are almost entirely concealed by bookcases) and my bedroom? Ah -- just don't look over there.

It's partly that I'm in the bedroom basically just to sleep and change clothes. It's partly that I'd have to move everything out of there and back in again. It's partly that I've always got something more urgent to do with the money. It's not, actually, that it's a Something -- it doesn't even get onto the lists. Well, I think it got onto the list I made when I first moved here, of all the things I wanted to get done in the first year. (Most of them got done in the first ten. The others, I seem to have decided to live with. I have long since lost that original list.)
Old 15 December 2017, 10:39 PM

Thursday, I was going to run some errands and had put a few items in my hand, to take from the house to the car, and also some items to out in the mail box.

For some reason, I thought I had also carried my watch, which I had intended to put on my arm after I got to the car. Well, started looking for the watch on the passenger seat. No watch. No watch in the back seat. Back into the house, no watch on the dresser where I put stuff overnight, not on the floor, back to the car, now checking the route from the door to the car, no watch.

Bear in mind, we've had a bit of a cold spell, cold for north Florida, and I am wearing a jacket. Oops, found the watch, right on my arm, where the cuff of the jacket is.

I had no recollection of putting the watch on my wrist. Getting older is no fun.
Old 16 December 2017, 01:31 AM

Thank you thorny locust and Northern Lite, you made me feel better about how ugly the room I am sitting in is, and has been since 2005.
Old 16 December 2017, 06:05 PM

Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
When I first moved here, I thought that fairly soon I'd use one of the other bedrooms for a while and get the largest one redone. The other bedrooms did get redone. So did the kitchen, the bathrooms, the office, and, mostly, the dining room. The living/room library (whose walls are almost entirely concealed by bookcases) and my bedroom? Ah -- just don't look over there.
Call it wabi-sabi and you're good!
Old 16 December 2017, 06:16 PM

ASL, thanks for the term!

-- I'm not sure that the state of my bedroom walls can really be described as producing "a sense of serene melancholy and a spiritual longing", however. Although I suppose that at this point it could be said that I'm in a state of 'serene melancholy' about the chances that I'll ever do anything about it.
Old 16 December 2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
I finally made the call--it took 10 minutes and they were actually very helpful--and I'll be able to stop sleeping on a cot and eating off a card table January 10th.
That sounds amazing. It's always good to be able to remind oneself that these conversations are rarely as bad as one thinks they're going to be...

I guess this is one of the reasons I hate job interviews. The kind of language that gets used in job adverts is often absurd, and if I take it seriously I'd never manage to apply for anything ever. It's a job, for flip's sake. I have technical skills that (in my area) are pretty decent, and I think I get on with fellow workers OK - certainly my colleagues seem to think highly of me - and in the academic sense I'm probably cleverer than most of the people who work at your place, and have no reason to think I'm any lazier.

But no, I don't "have a passion" for your "world-class expertise" and I'm not "driven" to play some small part in making your "enterprise" a "world leader". It's a bloody job. If it makes enough money for the people who work for you to support themselves, that's good.
Old 16 December 2017, 11:56 PM

Mouse

I understand how you feel, Richard. I wish I had some words of wisdom, but alas, I do not. Iíll provide, instead, this sadly accurate Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal webcomic. Letís just say years of trial and error have taught me that when they say, ďBe honest or be creative or be yourself,Ē they donít really mean it.
Old 17 December 2017, 12:43 AM

I like that. Thank you for posting it.
Old 18 December 2017, 02:48 PM

Glasses

AMC: I have always liked The Carpenter's version of Ticket to Ride better than the original. It's the only Beatles song I can say that about.

Seaboe
Old 18 December 2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Call it wabi-sabi and you're good!
Hey I like that!

ETA: I think that Elton John's cover of Lucy in the Sky is better than the original--this coming from a second generation Beatles fan.
Old 30 December 2017, 03:34 AM

Thank you for posting that, ASL. And I'm so happy you will get your furniture. I know you were hoping to be stationed in San Diego rather than Norfolk, but the East Coast isn't all bad.
Old 03 January 2018, 06:03 PM

Icon18

Paranormal/cryptid/mystery videos on YouTube. Not creepypasta, although those are nifty, too, but videos about ghost/monster/alien sightings and such.

Not because I believe in that stuff, per se, it just interests me. I know it's all bunk and clickbait... it's just something I enjoy for some reason.

And as a tabletop RPG gamer, more than once I've gotten game ideas from some of them...
Old 03 January 2018, 09:28 PM

I've started watching one of the many true crime documentary series on Netflix. It's one of those with the cheesy "reenactments," and the narration is so goofy that I could almost swear it's a parody. I can't stop watching it.