snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 11 December 2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarynMcD View Post
Yeah, it sounds like a made up term.
Just yesterday I was buying milk and it was labeled on the shelf as "Gluten Free." I was like "Really!?!"
Many milk products contain gluten. Flavoured milk sometimes has gluten and malted milk definitely has gluten.

Gluten is sneaky like that.
Old 12 December 2017, 05:43 PM

There's a big puddle of orange juice on the bottom shelf of the break room fridge that's been there since yesterday morning at least. So everyone is avoiding putting their lunch on the bottom shelf, but no one's actually cleaned it up, because it's Someone Else's Problem, I guess. Yes, I know I technically am on the list of people who haven't cleaned it up.
Old 12 December 2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Many milk products contain gluten. Flavoured milk sometimes has gluten and malted milk definitely has gluten.

Gluten is sneaky like that.
Malted milk can be made from corn, rather than barley, so malted milk likely has gluten, but not definitely.
Old 12 December 2017, 06:46 PM

Glasses

LTTAM:

Trying to redact in Acrobat and having the program be so picky about mouse placement that a twitch can make me end up redacting 3/4 of the page.

Seaboe
Old 13 December 2017, 10:18 AM

Facebook's news feed continues to annoy me. If you accidentally close the window and then open it again, why do you see entirely different posts? I'd understand if they were all the newest posts that had been posted since you last opened it, but they're not - I'm seeing stuff from two days ago up near the top, and the item I was looking for is nowhere to be seen.

This seems to happen on individual walls as well - if I can remember who posted the thing I was looking for, then sometimes I can't find it on their wall either because it's moved down below all the older posts that Facebook originally decided not to show me. So it seems to be some sort of mechanism that hides posts you've "already seen". Which is entirely unhelpful if you're looking for a post that you've seen!
Old 13 December 2017, 12:39 PM

It might be the difference between the Most Recent and Top Stories options on your newsfeed. This link may be helpful.
Old 13 December 2017, 01:09 PM

I don't even get that option on my news feed, and I'd already checked profile settings to see if there was some preference in there, but there doesn't seem to be. I'm sure I did set that, or something similar, to "Most Recent" once, but it's forgotten if so.
Old 13 December 2017, 01:15 PM

The option doesn't appear until you click on the three dots next to the words "News Feed" in the upper left of your screen, just below your name (screenshot). And IME it resets itself all the time.

Unless UK Facebook has a different UI. . . .
Old 13 December 2017, 02:26 PM

Glasses

Also, even if you choose "most recent" at the beginning of a visit, if you do any of a number of things, FB will reset to "top stories" (because it knows better than you do what you want to see, even though it never asked you what you wanted to see).

Now they've done that with notifications as well, and you can't reset those to your preferred layout.

Seaboe
Old 13 December 2017, 02:30 PM

Ah, I was looking for it in the place where it was in the old screen shots in that article. I don't think those three dots even appeared until I clicked on "News Feed", but they might have been hiding there all along.

I should think that will sort it, but I'm sure I'm right that I'd already set it at some point - when trying it out just now, it seems that it resets to Top Stories every time you click to get to the news feed, or click "home" if you've been looking at your profile - pretty much every time you open that page!

So you have to consciously change it almost every time you look at the feed... and if you forget one time, you might end up looking for a "Top Story" that wasn't that recent in the feed anyway and so isn't obvious on "Most Recent" either. Unless the bloody thing actually stays selected, it's not always going to help.
Old 13 December 2017, 02:46 PM

Glasses

Richard, FB would love to do away with "most recent" entirely (so that the order of your news feed would be entirely up to them) but haven't yet had the gumption to do so. Instead, they just make it incredibly inconvenient to use.

Seaboe
Old 13 December 2017, 02:47 PM

The Facebook Purity app lets you customize Facebook to display only what you tell it to show you (most recent, or whatever you prefer). And it stays selected every time, until you decide to change it if you want to. You can even block certain categories of pictures, or phrases, if you don't want to see any posts about politics or a hundred photos of someone's baby. It's the best.
Old 13 December 2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I should think that will sort it, but I'm sure I'm right that I'd already set it at some point - when trying it out just now, it seems that it resets to Top Stories every time you click to get to the news feed, or click "home" if you've been looking at your profile - pretty much every time you open that page!
Yes, as I said in my earlier post. :-)

ETA: Cervus, thanks for mentioning FB Purity. I knew there were apps out there, but hadn't gotten around to choosing one, so I appreciate the recommendation.
Old 13 December 2017, 07:52 PM

Every Wednesday at 1 pm, we have a meeting to update management on the current status of our projects. When they asked for this meeting, we brought up that every time we schedule a recurring meeting like this, it isn't long before attendance dwindles, and inside of a few months, we are reporting to ourselves. They assured us that because this is the quality focus, there will always be good management representation.
Well, we are about two months in now. First meeting we had 12 people there. It has steadily dropped since, and today there were none.
Old 13 December 2017, 10:17 PM

Finished grading finals and am vowing to teach no more.
  1. the University will charge part-timers for parking beginning in January--1/4 of a month's pay
  2. we have to grade online. for we are paperless
  3. I get headaches grading online
  4. fewer than half of my fifty students turned in all their assignments
  5. fifteen or so want to turn in essays now, when I am exhausted
  6. more than ten give me sob stories and ask me to give A's for no work
I used to love teaching.
Old 13 December 2017, 11:26 PM

(g)You'd think engineers would be a little bit more sensitive about the issue of simply removing parts because they don't like them. Sheesh. And it's invariably the same people who complain that they don't get enough cooperation from other people in the chain. Something stops working and I have to go through that chain asking "what happened here?" and trying to explain to the next person why their part stopped working. I do love my work but that's not my favourite way to spend the day.
Old 14 December 2017, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
First meeting we had 12 people there. It has steadily dropped since, and today there were none.
I'm glad the company I last worked for (in its various later iterations) isn't the only one that does this. It's almost like management are trying to justify their jobs with a lot of inconvenient nonsense that turns out not to be very important, isn't it?

I'm sure that can't be the case, though, just as I'm sure that there can't have been no people at all at your last meeting. Unless you didn't go yourself, and looked through the window of the meeting room, or looked at the attendee list of a virtual meeting on-line I suppose. OK, I believe you.
Old 14 December 2017, 11:08 AM

Enough snow to be inconvenient, not enough to warrant going in late or staying home.

(maybe not an lttam since also still dangerous enough for people to get hurt...)

The roads are clear but the driveway and therefore my car aren't, and I always underestimate how long it takes to clean the snow off the car...
Old 14 December 2017, 02:12 PM

We had a bit of snow, but the roads were very clear. The car in front of me still went about 20 under the speed limit.
Old 14 December 2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I'm glad the company I last worked for (in its various later iterations) isn't the only one that does this. It's almost like management are trying to justify their jobs with a lot of inconvenient nonsense that turns out not to be very important, isn't it?

I'm sure that can't be the case, though, just as I'm sure that there can't have been no people at all at your last meeting. Unless you didn't go yourself, and looked through the window of the meeting room, or looked at the attendee list of a virtual meeting on-line I suppose. OK, I believe you.
Oh, all of the presenters were there. We just had no one to present to. I found out that the reason no one from management showed up is that they were all having a holiday gathering in the main conference room, and decided to stay and keep eating after it was over, rather than come to the meeting. This does not explain why last week only one manager showed up, and the week before only 3.
Closed Thread