snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 02 December 2017, 04:04 PM

Icon106

Dear iHeart Radio,
Quarterflash is not a One-Hit Wonder. Yes, they're best known for "Harden My Heart," but they also had "Find Another Fool" and "Take Me To Heart," both of which reached the Top 20.
Old 02 December 2017, 04:33 PM

Autocorrect can be fun. DW has been worried that the poodlely dog, Asta, is constipated. This morning I followed Asta around out in the yard. When she did her business, I texted DW "Asta is not constipated." It came out "Pasta is not......"
Old 02 December 2017, 04:46 PM

How to stop Facebook from showing you old memories, photos and updates you’d rather forget

IDK if that would stop the "friend annivesary" posts.
Old 05 December 2017, 06:50 PM

Wolf

Malwarebytes, a simple You need to update your files or similar wording is every bit as effective as telling me Your device has issues! It says the same thing without crying wolf/scaring the daylights out of me.
Old 12 December 2017, 06:54 PM

Yes Amazon music, there are more than six Christmas songs. And no, I don't want to hear "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" six times in the 30 mintues or so I tried to listen to Christmas music. So much for being in the Christmas spirit.
Old 12 December 2017, 07:07 PM

I'm referring to clauses in a contract. Stop turning (c) into ©!

(I figured out what I needed to turn off to get it to stop doing that, eventually.)
Old 12 December 2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I'm referring to clauses in a contract. Stop turning (c) into ©!

(I figured out what I needed to turn off to get it to stop doing that, eventually.)
It seems like when I copy paste something into word, if I want it to keep the source formatting, it changes it to the document formatting. If I want it to blend in with the doucment formatting, it keeps the source formatting. I'm not sure how both of these things could happen but I swear they do.
Old 12 December 2017, 08:23 PM

If you right-click before you paste, you'll get some paste options that will let you choose which option to use.
Old 12 December 2017, 11:22 PM

I wasn't even in Word; though hearing reports of that sort all the time is part of what makes me reluctant to pay for it. I was in Textedit, which doesn't usually do that sort of thing to me; but it turns out that in the edit menu under substitutions there's "text replacement", and it had somehow got turned on. Apparently I could work up my own list of what I wanted replaced and/or delete that particular one, but I can't think of anything that I want to always have replaced for me, so I just turned it off. -- good grief, I just realized that if I don't want to do it for every document separately I need to do it in system preferences. I think I've dealt with it now.
Old 13 December 2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Malwarebytes, a simple You need to update your files or similar wording is every bit as effective as telling me Your device has issues! It says the same thing without crying wolf/scaring the daylights out of me.
Ha, I get that from Norton (or is it McAfee? I have a free version of one as well, that I added for some reason). And the "issue" is that I'm deliberately not using one of their browser plug-ins. That's not an issue!

One of them once prompted me to remove some software it found that was an issue because it was incompatible with their own software - of course, it was the other antivirus program.

And the only genuine security issue I've had for ages was when Norton unexpectedly charged my credit card £70 on an email address that as far as I know I'd never used (a variant of the address I do use, though), wasn't associated with my active account (which had been renewed for less money a month or two before this), and on a card that I must have last used with Norton several years ago, didn't show up on either account I knew about with them (one defunct) and which I'd not consciously told them to remember! I would have assumed it was a fake payment from somebody who'd stolen my details and was pretending to be Norton, except that when I rang them, they managed to find it in their system and refund it.

I still can't see how that would have happened barring a deliberate action from one of their employees - if not it's a pretty serious bug, and even if it was a bug, I consider it a security breach that they were still able to take a payment from a credit card I'd not used with them for years, and (assuming I followed my usual policy) wouldn't have deliberately authorised them to remember or take repeated payments from in the first place. Luckily the card that they used for this was on the point of expiry, and is now no longer valid, so it can't happen again on that card at least. But yeah, given I've never had a genuine malware issue that's cost me money, this in itself makes Norton worse than the thing it's supposedly protecting me from. (Of course, if it wasn't there then maybe I'd have lost lots more from viruses, etc. etc... but still).
Old 13 December 2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I wasn't even in Word; though hearing reports of that sort all the time is part of what makes me reluctant to pay for it.
FWIW, I've had good success with Open Office.
Old 13 December 2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
If you right-click before you paste, you'll get some paste options that will let you choose which option to use.
When I used Word a lot, the thing I found best was to paste any text from another document to Notepad first, then cut-and-paste again into Word. That strips all the formatting and leaves it in "Normal" or whatever they call the Word default format for your document these days. Then you can add the formatting back using the standards you've set up for your own document.

I could never predict what "use destination formatting" was going to do, and even "paste text only" was not at all reliable.
Old 13 December 2017, 01:35 PM

Dear computer, not having Yahoo as my selected search engine is NOT a problem that needs immediate fixing. Neither is not having the Yahoo search engine bar installed. Please stop putting up the "IMMEDIATE PROBLEM THAT NEEDS ATTENTION" window that has no X to click it shut. That just annoys me, and makes my wife and kid worried that there is something wrong.
Old 13 December 2017, 02:33 PM

Glasses

The ( c ) to copyright symbol is under "auto format" in Word.

I ended up hating Open Office because it had a very small buffer and ran slower than molasses. My BIL suggested a different program for my tablet, which I use, but not often enough to remember the name. The icon is the W in this image, second from the top & second from the right.

Seaboe
Old 13 December 2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Dear computer, not having Yahoo as my selected search engine is NOT a problem that needs immediate fixing. Neither is not having the Yahoo search engine bar installed. Please stop putting up the "IMMEDIATE PROBLEM THAT NEEDS ATTENTION" window that has no X to click it shut. That just annoys me, and makes my wife and kid worried that there is something wrong.
That sounds like a virus. Probably installed with your browser and perhaps even from a reputable source but still a virus.

A quick google search shows that at least Firefox and Chrome can have this problem and by pretty much any definition of "malware" it qualifies.
Old 13 December 2017, 05:46 PM

jimmy101, that is what I thought at first, but it came pre-installed on the computer. I believe it was a marketing deal with Yahoo.
Old 13 December 2017, 08:26 PM

That would incline me to stay as far away from Yahoo as possible. (Staying away from them entirely ain't easy.) And also from whatever level of company made that agreement with them. (Though whether that's possible for you may be another matter also.)
Old 13 December 2017, 10:08 PM

I've fairly successfully stayed away from Yahoo for about 10 years now.

Because I exclusively use Google.
Old 28 December 2017, 11:44 AM

Icon02

Google, I do not need an assistant! Shut up and go away!
Old 28 December 2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I've fairly successfully stayed away from Yahoo for about 10 years now.
Unfortunately, my ISP hasn't.

And I have extremely limited choice for ISP. The alternative doesn't seem likely to be any better.

(Also, seeing DawnStorm's comment right after the second line of yours made me giggle.)