snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 25 May 2016, 10:43 PM

Driver China debuts bus cars can drive through

Have you ever found yourself behind a stopped Capital Metro bus on a busy Austin street for what seems like minutes? Ever fantasized about driving straight through those buses?

http://www.9news.com/news/china-debu...ough/214897861
Old 25 May 2016, 11:45 PM

It's bad enough driving next to buses and trucks. Driving inside would be terrifying. But that describes Chinese traffic in general. We once had a Chinese exchange student ask why when people are pulled over they don't just drive away, which I don't even know where to start with.
Old 26 May 2016, 09:26 AM

It's annoying that the article says this thing has "debuted" when the video is clearly showing a working model (and possibly some CGI). It's a pretty impressive model, but the whole thing seems unlikely to happen.
Old 26 May 2016, 10:51 AM

China

IME, on a scale of 1 to 10 (where 1 is no traffic on a four-lane highway and 10 is holy--change-your-underwear), the traffic in China is a 5, maybe sometimes a 6 or so. Just average bad compared to many other countries. Not a whole lot worse than a few cities in the US or Canada. It was worse, actually, in some ways, when the bicycles were still in charge but the cars were vying for some road space. Now the bicycles are all but extinct.
Old 26 May 2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
We once had a Chinese exchange student ask why when people are pulled over they don't just drive away, which I don't even know where to start with.
Because we shoot people who do that in America?
Old 26 May 2016, 02:11 PM

The Guardian points out that:

Quote:
[E]xcitement over the innovation was tempered by the fact that a virtually identical contraption was unveiled at the same expo in 2010 without catching on.
It's the same designer in both cases. Here's an article about it from 2010:

“Straddling” bus–a cheaper, greener and faster alternative to commute (July 31st, 2010)

(eta) To be fair, this year's article also says:

Quote:
A prototype will reportedly be deployed on the streets of Qinhuangdao, a coastal city about 300km east of Beijing, this summer.
So maybe it is actually happening this time.
Old 26 May 2016, 02:29 PM

Presumably there'd have to be a strict control of the size of the other vehicles on the road.
Old 26 May 2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me, no really View Post
Because we shoot people who do that in America?
Only if you're a POC...

If you're white, they will blame it on affluenza, and allow you to go visit Mexico before deciding that they should have arrested you and asking the Mexicans to extradite you.
Old 26 May 2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
It's bad enough driving next to buses and trucks.
Slight hijack, but there are a few places where train tracks run down the middle of the street, like Jack London Square in Oakland. And I'm not talking about trams or light rail, but actual trains. Now sharing the road with a train has to be freaky. I've never driven there, but I rode an Amtrak train through there once.
Old 26 May 2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
IME, on a scale of 1 to 10 (where 1 is no traffic on a four-lane highway and 10 is holy--change-your-underwear), the traffic in China is a 5, maybe sometimes a 6 or so. Just average bad compared to many other countries. Not a whole lot worse than a few cities in the US or Canada. It was worse, actually, in some ways, when the bicycles were still in charge but the cars were vying for some road space. Now the bicycles are all but extinct.
I dislike driving in most major US cities. Despite living 100 miles away, I can count the number of times I've driven in LA on one hand. But stuff like this is really next level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3kL6nMap2s

This chaos (ETA, comments say this one is mislabeled and is India https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZeJ72mgcjA), but this one is only slightly better, just a bit calmer speed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8bfNplEmfo

Reminds me of how it must have been in the US 100 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEvB_ZIWtAg
Old 27 May 2016, 01:07 AM

Bigger doesn't mean worse - especially since that's not a daily commuter situation there. (The first video is from the end of a holiday.) Lots of cities around the world look worse than that on a daily basis. Look at the cars, for example. In many places they would be trying to squeeze between each other and there would be pedestrians and bikes also squeezing and, amazingly, nearly just as jammed.

I don't see what's so terrible about the last video, which maybe does show daily traffic in some Chinese city. It looks much better than, well, again, many many other countries - maybe even most big cities around the world.
Old 27 May 2016, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I don't see what's so terrible about the last video, which maybe does show daily traffic in some Chinese city. It looks much better than, well, again, many many other countries - maybe even most big cities around the world.
No stop lights, not much sense of waiting turns like at a 4 way stop, very loose interpretation of "lanes" when turning. The amount of traffic in that video is not unusual, but the behavior of the traffic is pretty chaotic.
Old 27 May 2016, 03:36 AM

In any case, it is just one intersection in a very large country. If one had only experienced China and the US, one would probably think China was awful but it almost never makes the top ten. I mean, there are some places where one truly hesitates to get in a vehicle. It's not like that in most of China, IMO.
Old 27 May 2016, 09:34 AM

Trains in and out of Beijing are absolutely packed during holiday season as well. In 2007 I caught a train out to Xi'an by literally 30 seconds (I got on it just before it started moving, a minute after it was supposed to have gone), after being stuck on a bus for over an hour for what looked like a 20-minute journey. If I'd missed it I apparently wouldn't have been able to get a ticket on any train out of Beijing for a week, they were that solidly booked. The transport system was at full capacity, literally.

They have a seat-booking system and no standing passengers though, so once on the train and I'd found my seat (after some confusion between the upper and lower deck) the journey wasn't too bad. They only sell tickets for the number of seats on the train. In the UK, holiday trains can be similarly at full capacity but they don't care how many tickets they sell. If you ever take the Paddington to Penzance train on a bank holiday weekend, the lobbies and aisles are totally packed as well, and you'll see people having to stand in uncomfortable positions between suitcases and rucksacks and the toilet, for almost the whole six-hour journey. I would much rather be on a Chinese train in that respect.
Old 01 June 2016, 07:49 AM

This is not going to work. Several reasons:

* How do you evacuate 1400 people quickly when they are that high up?

* The driver will have little or no vision around it, making it a very dangerous vehicle for other vehicles.

* As it's very heavy, and only has a few wheels, stopping distance will be long. Once again, this makes it unsafe.

* The legs will still take up at least one lane, a lane that would be better used for more cars/buses.

* How long does it take for that many people to board/unboard?

* How is it for handicapped people, both under normal circumstances and in an emergency?

* It's not likely to be able to corner a typical corner on a city street.

* It has only a few, large wheels. That makes for a lot of weight on each wheel, which puts high demands on both wheels and pavement. Ordinary buses wear down the pavement quickly by always stopping in the same place, what do you think this cruise ship on wheels will do?

* It will still block crossing traffic, and with a vehicle of that size, that means it will block a lot.

* I've seen bridges destroyed because some vehicles forget how high they are. Would you like to sit in that when the arm of a crane rips right through it?

* Stopping and starting such a heavy vehicle is very costly in terms of energy.

So, no, not really realistic. A cool concept that works as CGI, but not in reality, that's all.