snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 25 February 2016, 11:44 AM

Australia Three brothers who post fake drive-by shootings, bomb threat videos, charged

Quote:
Three Melbourne brothers known for posting prank videos in which they imitate terrorists by filming fake bomb stunts and drive-by shootings have been charged by Victoria Police and released on bail.

The brothers, aged 20, 18 and 16, were charged with public nuisance, possessing a prohibited weapon and behaving in an offensive manner in a public place.

The two men aged 20 and 18 will return to court on May 20 and were released on bail on the condition that they do not produce, upload, or publish on any social media site, any images or video that are offensive in nature.

The 16-year-old was bailed to appear at the children's court at a later date.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-2...pranks/7198874

Here's one of their previous videos:

Here's their latest video which sparked all the outrage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Vefa_AGXM
(NWS for lyrics in background music)

The difference this time seems to be that a young girl was accidentally caught up in their "driveby shooting prank" and badly scared by the sound of gunfire. The pranksters posted a photo of them 'making it up to her' after the prank to their Facebook page.
Old 25 February 2016, 11:52 AM

Judge

My 2c: the outrage is blown way out of proportion and the pranksters got exactly the response and legal outcome they were looking for.

One of their 'victims' has come forward and admitted the pranks are completely staged and that all the 'victims' were in on the joke and in fact did multiple takes so they could get the best reaction footage. I'm pretty sure that the gunfire sound effects in the latest video were edited in afterwards and these pranksters (one of which dropped out of legal school because they were making so much money off their youtube views) are smart enough to be very careful about making sure not to accidentally scare any random passersby.

They're cashing in on the xenophobia being whipped up by the politicians and right wing media in this country and the newspapers and police played right into their hands and gave them the exact response they wanted.
Old 26 February 2016, 06:05 AM

There was some speculation, right from when I first saw these videos talked about, that they were staged. But I agree with you Gutter Monkey, the media has played right into their hands. And not just the right wing media. I have seen them interviewed on every chat style news show I watch. They got exactly the attention they wanted.
Old 26 February 2016, 08:14 AM

Can someone explain what the difference is between these videos and all those movies that are "based on a true story" when they obviously aren't?