snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 10 January 2016, 08:00 PM

Icon97 Meet Babypod, an intravaginal speaker that delivers music to your fetus

Quote:
Marrying the worlds of music and motherhood is Babypod, a small speaker that goes inside a woman’s vagina. Technology’s diving deep these days, folks.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/0...to-your-fetus/
Old 10 January 2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
“By placing a speaker inside the vagina, we overcome the barrier formed by the abdominal wall and the baby can hear sounds with almost as much intensity and clarity as when emitted,” the site continues.
Except that they're still listening from inside the uterus and placenta though amniotic fluid. They're basically under water. Unless you've got one of those Harry Potter mermaid egg thingys I don't think baby is going to hear anything very clearly.

Also, that looks...hard to clean.
Old 11 January 2016, 12:55 AM

Ermmm, I played in a loud bar band when I was pregnant with all three of my kids. I got my first kick while playing all three times. They can hear perfectly fine with out sticking things in your under carriage. It's not like it's uncomfortable enough at certain points (and exams.) Why add more prodding? To make some company money says I.
Old 11 January 2016, 01:12 AM

Agreed, I got a lot of activity in response to music, too. I just don't think that the claim about the clarity of sound is true.
Old 11 January 2016, 01:18 AM

Mouse

I just assume that while they claim it's for providing music to a gestating fetus, in actuality, it'll probably be used much in the way people use this product. Slightly NSFW.

I wouldn't be too surprised if said product in my link didn't sell like crazy, though I wonder how well it fulfills the alarm clock part of its function. Because I naively thought an alarm clock's purpose was to convince you to get out of bed, not decide to stay in it for much, much longer.
Old 11 January 2016, 02:05 AM

OK, so this gets the speaker close to the womb to give better sound quality for the fetus. Putting aside whether that's really an important goal to begin with, is there anything that prevents this thing from blasting the poor fetus's eardrums out if turned up too loud? For external sounds, the mother's body provides some sound muffling--if the volume isn't high enough to bother the mother's ears, then the fetus's ears are presumably even safer. But how is one supposed to judge the appropriate volume for a speaker inside one's body? The muffling effect of the woman's body would work the opposite way, meaning that the person controlling the volume would presumably be hearing quieter music than the fetus--that seems like it would bring a high risk of someone turning up the volume too high.
Old 11 January 2016, 02:41 AM

Why would classical music be better for child development than say the Eagles or the Wiggles?
Old 11 January 2016, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeOne View Post
Why would classical music be better for child development than say the Eagles or the Wiggles?
It won't. It's based on the myth of the Mozart Effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozart_effect
Old 11 January 2016, 03:24 AM

Are you saying that the Eagles aren't classic?
Old 11 January 2016, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
Also, that looks...hard to clean.
And if the picture is accurate, it has a cord... who wants to walk around with a cable out the hoo-ha attached to your phone?
Old 11 January 2016, 06:01 AM

Probably an attempt to widen the customer base on the vibrating egg that vibrates to the beat of the music. If you are sending the music to the egg anyway, it's trival to replace the vibrator motor with a speaker.

Either way, both those products would be better if wireless...
Old 11 January 2016, 12:18 PM

I thought the proper way to introduce music there was for the father to press his mouth as close as he can and sing or hum.
Old 11 January 2016, 07:19 PM

Australia

"For all that morning sickness and swollen ankles, it's a Nickleback/Yoko mashup for you, Kiddo!"