snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 30 October 2018, 06:52 PM

Honoring Pittsburgh synagogue victims, Pence appears with ‘rabbi’ who preaches, ‘Jesus is the Messiah’

Old 30 October 2018, 07:08 PM

That's bad enough on its own but it gets worse:
Quote:
Jacobs’s remarks weren’t limited to the theme of religious solidarity, however. In addition to denouncing the “hate-inspired shooting at the synagogue in Pittsburgh” and asking God to “comfort all those who are mourning,” Jacobs appealed to the Almighty to favor the Republican Party in the midterm elections next month.

He did not name the individual victims of the Pittsburgh massacre, but named four Republican candidates, including Epstein. “I pray for them and for the Republican Party and its candidates so that they would honor you and your ways, that you might grant them victory in this election,” he said from the stage.
Old 30 October 2018, 07:27 PM

Regarding the part Esprise Me quoted,

Oh, for F&%$'s sake! Can you at least pretend to be human for 5 minutes?

But I guess that answers why they didn't pick the other 59 rabbis that appeared in the directory. They are either Democrats or aren't so rabidly* Republican that they would use a memorial service to stump for their party's election.

* Not intended, but enjoyed.
Old 30 October 2018, 08:19 PM

From the article posted:

Quote:
A Pence aide told The Washington Post that Jacobs had been invited by Lena Epstein, a Republican congressional candidate to represent Michigan’s 11th Congressional District, and said Pence did not know who the religious leader was when he brought him on stage “to deliver a message of unity.”
That is indeed very much some people's idea of "unity": 'Everybody needs to agree with us and then we'll all be unified!'
Old 30 October 2018, 08:23 PM

See also, "I don't see color; you're the real racist for pointing out that racism exists."
Old 31 October 2018, 01:54 AM

Ugh. I live in the 11th district. The race has been not nearly as nasty as some of the other state races so far, but I guess we're done with that now.