snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 25 October 2018, 04:02 AM

I wasn't sure if he was or not so I didn't mention it.
Old 25 October 2018, 06:22 AM

I haven't had the heart to check to see how many alt-righties or whoever are calling this a false flag op yet. (Or believe they really were sent by Debbie Wasserman Shultz.)
Old 25 October 2018, 08:11 AM

Icon07 Conspiracy theories about Soros aren't just false. They're anti-Semitic.

Washington Post 24 October 2018

Quote:
But it's no surprise that Soros would wind up as a target. He's become the subject of escalating rhetoric on the right — including from President Trump — that posits Soros as a nefarious force, fomenting social dissent and paying members of a migrant "caravan" that has been the subject of intense right-wing fearmongering leading up to the November midterms. And that rhetoric draws on old, and deep-rooted, anti-Semitic ideas that have been deployed by the right for decades.
When I was younger conspiracy theorists either openly said the Jews were behind everything or they used coded words like "the Rothschilds." Over the last decade or so Soros has replaced the Rothschilds as the boogeyman among anti-Semites. Depending on how brave you are, just look at how Soros is viewed on far right sites. It's right out of The Protocols.

Brian
Old 25 October 2018, 02:06 PM

Another one sent to a restaurant owned by Robert De Niro:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45975447

Trump has responded with a tweet criticising the media.
Old 26 October 2018, 01:30 PM

Tantrum Trump tweets in middle of night, again taking on critics in wake of devices scare

President Trump took to Twitter in the very wee hours Friday to continue his run-in with his critics over the series of suspicious devices sent to prominent Democrats this week.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-t...devices-scare/
Old 26 October 2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Authorities on Friday recovered two more potential explosive devices sent to public figures; the latest packages addressed to Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and former director of national intelligence James R. Clapper Jr.

These packages — recovered in Florida and New York — push the total number of devices found by law enforcement authorities to 12.
Suspected explosive devices addressed to Cory Booker and James Clapper; probe expands to 12 packages

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I haven't had the heart to check to see how many alt-righties or whoever are calling this a false flag op yet. (Or believe they really were sent by Debbie Wasserman Shultz.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
When I was younger conspiracy theorists either openly said the Jews were behind everything or they used coded words like "the Rothschilds." Over the last decade or so Soros has replaced the Rothschilds as the boogeyman among anti-Semites. Depending on how brave you are, just look at how Soros is viewed on far right sites. It's right out of The Protocols.

Brian
The scary thing to me is that with Trump in office, some of these guys think they're in on the conspiracy now. Remember the flap a few weeks ago with the federal emergency alert test? The response from the alt-right was, "We're ready for your command, Mr. President!"
Old 26 October 2018, 04:31 PM

Possible suspect in custody.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/explosive-...ry?id=58737042
Old 26 October 2018, 05:35 PM

Rump is giving a speech about it now. Of course he's making it about himself and acting like he's somehow done something to make the arrest possible.
Old 26 October 2018, 07:06 PM

He has to... its apparently intrinsic to his very being.

~Psihala
Old 26 October 2018, 07:24 PM

Not too surprised at the rapid arrest. The fact that none of the devices detonated not only means that there was plenty of physical evidence, but also rather suggests some (fortunate) incompetence on the part of the sender. Which could mean that he didn't do a whole lot to cover his tracks.

(Though I suspect the fact that none of them have gone off, does help fuel the "false flag" theories. It seems a little weird even to me.)
Old 26 October 2018, 07:30 PM

I don't think it's that surprising. All the bombs (that we know of) were sent to high-profile individuals who probably receive a lot of death threats anyway and have security procedures in place to deal with them rapidly. If they'd been sent to someone who less commonly receives such threats it's more likely that one or two would have detonated.
Old 26 October 2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Not too surprised at the rapid arrest. The fact that none of the devices detonated not only means that there was plenty of physical evidence, but also rather suggests some (fortunate) incompetence on the part of the sender. Which could mean that he didn't do a whole lot to cover his tracks.

(Though I suspect the fact that none of them have gone off, does help fuel the "false flag" theories. It seems a little weird even to me.)
On NPR this morning some of the commenters also speculated that the fact that none of them went off could mean that whoever sent them merely wanted to scare and intimidate the recipients, not actually kill them.
Old 26 October 2018, 08:02 PM

I don't know about just scaring them. They were not fake bombs. They were described as rudimentary but functional, last I saw. If you don't want to kill anyone, you don't make a functional bomb.
Old 26 October 2018, 08:52 PM

Some of the many reports I have read with widely varying details in them have indicated that they where 'functioning' in the sense they had an active explosive material in them, but 'non-functioning' in the sense that there may have been no actual way to detonate the explosive material. One report indicated that a key component to detonate appeared to not exist in the initial examinations of some of the bombs.

This leads to many to the speculation that they may have been more to intimidate and terrorize rather then to kill.

Possible to not create 'martyrs' (My personal speculation on a motive)
Old 26 October 2018, 11:16 PM

Default The mail-bomb suspect’s van, annotated

News crews arrived at the auto parts store in Florida where authorities arrested mail-bomb suspect Cesar Sayoc, 56, before FBI agents could secure and remove a white van that purportedly belongs to Sayoc. Television cameras obtained images of the van, revealing windows covered with apparent images of President Trump and slogans and rhetoric common among Trump supporters. Mixed in were graphics apparently created by Sayoc himself. Authorities soon covered the van with a heavy blue tarp.

The images spread quickly on social media, with several people indicating that they’d seen — and photographed — the van in the area of Florida where Sayoc lived. Natalie Kline photographed the van in May 2017 and provided photos to The Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.9d26bfec43cf
Old 28 October 2018, 09:33 AM

Icon27

Quote:
Natalie Kline photographed the van in May 2017 and provided photos to The Washington Post.
And I'm still seeing Trump supporters claiming that the graphics are brand new.

Brian
Old 28 October 2018, 11:05 AM

I wonder how long it will take before the whole of Trump's presidency becomes a "false flag" operation? "No Republicans voted for Trump - all his supporters are undercover liberals, trying to make Republicans unelectable by association for decades and bring down America! It's the Democrats' fault!" ... Actually some of those things get said already...
Old 28 October 2018, 01:17 PM

Psychic

Republicans would have to become unelectable first, or at least suffer at the polls. Alas, we’ll see.