snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 12 October 2018, 06:14 PM

Finally got around to watching! Really enjoyed the Sheffield locale: the tram (I couldn't make out the stop, but our running joke was that the stop announcements were never intelligible - "Cricket Inn Road" sounded more like "Cridenrow"), Bramall Lane, the UShef Arts building, and a few spots that were familiar but I couldn't quite place them. (Would love to see the filming locations if anyone's come across this anywhere.)

Did anyone else notice the Upper Canada Village pennant? What an unusual prop!

Of course, Jodie was great as the Doctor, but there was never any doubt of that!
Old 13 October 2018, 01:06 PM

Yeah I knew Jodie would be good but she is really great. The people on Whovians have all declared the are in love with her and I am too.
Old 15 October 2018, 04:54 PM

So what do you guys think of the new desktop theme?

I will say this: Do those count as round things?
Old 16 October 2018, 12:13 AM

The new doctor seems likable, but the new season so far has not been very gripping for me. The first two episodes have been below average monster of the week episodes. The new companions have yet to make much of an impression, partly because there are so many of them. It's only two episodes, so there is still plenty of potential for things to start to fall into place, but I'm hoping they do get more interesting.
Old 18 October 2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
The new doctor seems likable, but the new season so far has not been very gripping for me. The first two episodes have been below average monster of the week episodes. The new companions have yet to make much of an impression, partly because there are so many of them. It's only two episodes, so there is still plenty of potential for things to start to fall into place, but I'm hoping they do get more interesting.
I can see what you mean, but in my opinion the more the merrier when it comes to the companions because I am sick of the love interest teasing between the (male) Doctor and his sole (female) companion. It was refreshing with the threesome involving Amy and Rory, but there was still this element of a love triangle trying to be forced where it really didn't belong. By making Bill gay and Nardol... well, Nardol... the focus could be less on the will they/won't they and more on the time and/or space. I'm glad to see that kind of dynamic set up right from the start again. I find it a relief to be less interested in how they will relate to the Doctor and more in how they will relate to each other. I like the Doctor as a character best when he or she is mostly a bizarre figure that other characters interact around rather than with. I see the Doctor almost as a force of nature rather than a character in his or her own right.

Which isn't to say the Doctor has no personality, of course. Thirteen has personality in spades and I'm pleased to see all the sames and all the differences that each new incarnation brings.

That said, I agree that the first two episodes felt a bit paint-by-numbers. I think this has been the case for most of the first few episodes of each Doctor in New Who but it doesn't have to be that way. We shouldn't have to have a mild couple of episodes establishing the new Doctor and companions. Sometimes you get to know and like a character best when they're plunged in hot water right away.
Old 19 October 2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I can see what you mean, but in my opinion the more the merrier when it comes to the companions because I am sick of the love interest teasing between the (male) Doctor and his sole (female) companion. It was refreshing with the threesome involving Amy and Rory,.
I have to agree. We have had three companions before. The first Dr had Ian, Barbara and Susan. Susan was his grand-daughter. Ian and Barbara were her teachers. From what I understand from my reading there was a suggestion of a romance between Ian and Barbara.

Back in the 80's there was Adric, Nissan and Tegan. Adric and Nissan were teenagers and from what I remember there was a hint of a romance between them.

The love interest testing has annoyed me a bit as well because the Doctor is centuries old and far advanced intellectually. The idea he/she would view a human as anything but children is a little . I didn't like how they resolved it with Rose, Mickey and the Doctor. Mind you I came in late to the regeneration of the show so saw the first series or so in repeats so maybe that made a difference.

I can understand the attraction but that is about where is should end.

But while I am here I should say I really like her shirt. I want to buy myself one. I don't usually go for merchandise. There was a Ghostbusters t-shirt back in the 80's when I was a teen. Some workmates bought me a X-files t-shirt in the 90's as a going away present. And recently my Mum brought me a "Rebel Alliance" gym t-shirt recently. But that is about it. But I am seriously considering buying myself a shirt like hers. If it isn't too expensive or too difficult to get.
Old 19 October 2018, 02:06 PM

Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
But while I am here I should say I really like her shirt. I want to buy myself one. I don't usually go for merchandise. There was a Ghostbusters t-shirt back in the 80's when I was a teen. Some workmates bought me a X-files t-shirt in the 90's as a going away present. And recently my Mum brought me a "Rebel Alliance" gym t-shirt recently. But that is about it. But I am seriously considering buying myself a shirt like hers. If it isn't too expensive or too difficult to get.
A friend of mine just happens to sell them on his RedBubble page ....
Old 19 October 2018, 02:28 PM

France

And here's another model, from Forbidden Planet :

https://forbiddenplanet.com/260915-d...octor-costume/

I will probably buy one for myself when I'm in London next month. If there are any left, that is.
Old 19 October 2018, 02:52 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermor View Post
And here's another model, from Forbidden Planet :
The stripes don't even go all the way across on that one.

I had a quick look at eBay to see if there were any cheap options and they results were even worse
Old 19 October 2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I find it a relief to be less interested in how they will relate to the Doctor and more in how they will relate to each other.
They're welcome to start being interesting any moment now. So far their personalities are: dyspraxia, cop, and dying. In the past they've had 2 companions at once, both of whom had an interesting, well defined personality. I haven't watched the original seasons, but I'm sure it's possible to do with 3. But it's more work writing, and they haven't accomplished it yet.
Old 23 October 2018, 01:17 AM

What do people think of episode 3?

I personally figure it was a welcome return to the original angle of the show, although I canít get over how the villain just hates black people.

Oh, and he knows what at TARDIS is, but he doesnít realise that TARDIS + peculiar clothing = only one person in the whole of space and time?
Old 23 October 2018, 08:16 AM

I agree it gets back to the original premise of the show. He may not have realised the Dr has changed sex. And I am not sure her clothes are a peculiar as they have been in the past.

It is also possible that we may see more of him in the future and find out exactly what his deal is.
Old 23 October 2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
And I am not sure her clothes are a peculiar as they have been in the past.
She still stuck out like a sore thumb. Also, since Elvis definitely had a mobile phone, we canít ignore her previous selves (although the Stenza might have been mucking around with history. She did, after all, kill Tim Shaw).
Old 23 October 2018, 01:21 PM

TV

I was a bit .... not worried but wary? .... when I heard the premise of the episode because it would have been VERY easy to make a terrible mess of it if they had resorted to some sort of wacky scifi shenanigans. That particular incident with that particular person really should not be treated lightly. But I have to say I was really happy with the tone they took and I really liked the episode, especially since it tackled head on a few time travelling issues that the series has pretty much ignored so far like [spoiler]the Doctor's POC companions experiencing the inherent racism of the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
I personally figure it was a welcome return to the original angle of the show, although I canít get over how the villain just hates black people.
Yeah that could have been explained better. If there's any complaint I could make about this season so far it's that the characters that drive/support the plot each episode really don't have their motivations fleshed out anywhere near enough to make them compelling.
Old 23 October 2018, 05:09 PM

Didn't the villian say something about "you people" or "your kind?" I thought it might have been a fake out and that (being from the future and all), he was actually talking about something else besides skin colour. Humans in general, maybe? Something else we don't know about yet? Either way, I think this might be part of a larger story arc in the series.
Old 23 October 2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
Didn't the villian say something about "you people" or "your kind?"
Yes, but he was talking to Ryan.

Actually, one other thing did get me miffed: My dad didnít know who Rosa Parks was. Granted, he was born afterwards, but Iím pretty sure Smart Guy made a joke about where black people could make out on buses.
Old 24 October 2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, but he was talking to Ryan.

Actually, one other thing did get me miffed: My dad didnít know who Rosa Parks was. Granted, he was born afterwards, but Iím pretty sure Smart Guy made a joke about where black people could make out on buses.
Well I am not sure I would have known who Rosa Parks was if I hadn't, in the past, been a regular reader of Time Magazine*. I am pretty sure that is where I read about her, either when she got the ?Congressional Medal of Honour? or either at the turn of the millennium (and they were summing up the 20th century). Mind you I didn't do any history in school after grade 8. But I am not sure if my Mum and Dad would know who she is.

Not to hijack the thread but I do regret that sometimes (not doing much history). But when I was a school they seemed determined to bore us out the study of history. From grade 3 to grade 7 history was the study of the explorers. The same handful of explorers over and over again.

It is one of the things I may look at doing on on-line course on. But were do I start?

*I still do buy it occasionally.
Old 24 October 2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
Didn't the villian say something about "you people" or "your kind?" I thought it might have been a fake out and that (being from the future and all), he was actually talking about something else besides skin colour. Humans in general, maybe? Something else we don't know about yet? Either way, I think this might be part of a larger story arc in the series.
Oh most definitely think we will see him again. Is it a kind of The Terminator" thing? What has happened in the future?
Old 26 October 2018, 12:40 PM

Since the new series has started, I’ve been re-reading this very strange fanfic crossover between Doctor Who and The Baby-Sitters Club. And I thought I’d share it with you (a second time). You’re welcome.

By way of explanation: Things like Stacey’s bizarre diabetes (which basically boiled down to “she has to inject herself with insulin and can’t have sugar”, things that got Hannah Montana criticised decades later), Claudia’s fluctuating intelligence and the fact that these girls were thirteen for a really long time are fandom in-jokes, based in part on the nature of the series.
Old 26 October 2018, 01:15 PM

France

Quote:
Since the new series has started, Iíve been re-reading this very strange fanfic crossover between Doctor Who and The Baby-Sitters Club. And I thought Iíd share it with you (a second time). Youíre welcome.

By way of explanation: Things like Staceyís bizarre diabetes (which basically boiled down to ďshe has to inject herself with insulin and canít have sugarĒ, things that got Hannah Montana criticised decades later), Claudiaís fluctuating intelligence and the fact that these girls were thirteen for a really long time are fandom in-jokes, based in part on the nature of the series.
Speaking of crossovers :

Do you think a Weeping Angel was stalking them on that cover ?