snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 23 December 2016, 10:53 PM

Default Star Wars actress Carrie Fisher 'suffers massive heart attack on flight from London

Quote:
Star Wars actress Carrie Fisher has reportedly suffered a massive heart attack while flying from London to Los Angeles.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...fisher-9509504
Old 23 December 2016, 10:57 PM

Fight

Me, confronting 2016...

Get away from her, you BITCH!
Old 24 December 2016, 12:24 AM

Just a day or two ago I saw her on as a guest on an odd British talk show (one I had never seen before, being show on BBC America). I don't remember the name of the show.

She looked and sounded a bit off, seemed have a bit of difficulty enunciating her words. Maybe she just had a cold and was congested, I don't know. She didn't look overly healthy, that was certain.
Old 24 December 2016, 12:56 AM

Someone needs to stop 2016 before it can kill again... David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Prince, Zsa Zsa Gabor, America's international reputation...

Can it... just not be 2016 anymore? I'd be willing to give up Christmas if 2016 would just go away early...

Old 24 December 2016, 01:37 AM

Mouse

Damn it, 2016, couldn't you go after a few asshole celebrities instead of awesome people like David Bowie and Alan Rickman?
Old 27 December 2016, 06:12 PM

And it's happened:

Carrie Fisher, Princess Leia in 'Star Wars,' Dead at 60
Old 27 December 2016, 06:16 PM

And 2016 couldn't just end without ONE more...ok, hopefully just one more, there are a few days left. HIDE MY BELOVED ICONS!
Old 27 December 2016, 06:39 PM

Icon06

I don't in any way want to sound facetious or disrespectful, but I always feel it's a bit sadder when a celebrity dies in the last week of the year, after many news & entertainment shows, magazines, etc. have already done their "In Memoriam" pieces. It's as if this person missed out on that final moment of recognition.

RIP Ms. Fisher
Old 27 December 2016, 07:04 PM

No

This year's obit column has read like a Who's Who.
Old 27 December 2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
And 2016 couldn't just end without ONE more...ok, hopefully just one more, there are a few days left. HIDE MY BELOVED ICONS!
It wanted to spare 2017 the shame of having to kill your childhood. It did it to protect 2017. After all, 2016's days are numbered and it's got nothing left to lose. That gives it freedom. The freedom to live the remainder of its life to the fullest and also to take life without fear of consequences. What are you gonna do? Bring in the new year four days early?
Old 27 December 2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
I don't in any way want to sound facetious or disrespectful, but I always feel it's a bit sadder when a celebrity dies in the last week of the year, after many news & entertainment shows, magazines, etc. have already done their "In Memoriam" pieces. It's as if this person missed out on that final moment of recognition.
I feel equally bad about wondering how this will affect Episode VIII. Had she finished shooting her scenes, or will they ultimately be cut, or will we get a CGI Leia mapped onto a body double for whatever's left?

Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. -- Yoda

It's hard, Master Yoda... after this year it's so hard...
Old 27 December 2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post

Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. -- Yoda

It's hard, Master Yoda... after this year it's so hard...
I know but it sucks loosing loved ones (two or four legged) and celebs you like.

Dawn--RIP Flanders and Felix--Storm
Old 27 December 2016, 07:28 PM

Yeah, I was super sad about Bowie, and am now pretty bummed about Carrie Fisher (Who will tweet crazy emoji-only tweets now? Who will take care of Gary?) but the worst loss of 2016 for me was our sweet 12-year-old Golden Retriever.
Old 27 December 2016, 10:21 PM

Seriously, 2016 can bugger off now. It's been a horrible year. Spent Christmas working, at least it kept me preoccupied instead of thinking about the fact it's the first Christmas without my father being around. I'm seriously (well, not really) contemplating hiding away till the start of 2017. I refuse to believe there's still 4 days left in the year. I don't want to know what's going to happen in that time.
Old 27 December 2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
I feel equally bad about wondering how this will affect Episode VIII. Had she finished shooting her scenes, or will they ultimately be cut, or will we get a CGI Leia mapped onto a body double for whatever's left?
According to Variety, principle photography wrapped in July. Leia was supposed to be in IX as well though.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ca...-8-1201948826/
Old 27 December 2016, 11:04 PM

I have been holding back since I first heard of her heart attack from saying, "But she looked so young in Rogue One!"

(Sorry if that's a spoiler for anyone, but c'mon, if you haven't seen it by now you probably don't care that much...)

As is often the case, Mark Evanier has a remembrance from his two brief encounters with her (one of which involved skinny dipping! ...when he was 10 and she was 6) and a strong recommendation of her writing:

http://www.newsfromme.com/2016/12/27/carrie-fisher-r-p/

I admit to mild-to-moderate disgust at the first story I saw using a picture of her in the slave bikini. C'mon, people.
Old 28 December 2016, 12:22 AM

I went with my 8 year old son to a movie, for an early birthday thing (he turns 9 tomorrow). About half-way through the movie, my cell phone vibrated, telling me I got a text.

Being a good movie theatre patron, I waited until the film was over before checking the text. It was my wife telling me that Carrie Fischer had died. I read the text perhaps fifteen seconds after credits started.

Her death was announced while I was watching Rogue One, and I found out not thirty seconds after seeing the second to the last character seen in the movie. Sigh.
Old 28 December 2016, 12:27 AM

Mouse

Dammit! I idolized Princess Leia as a kid. Even though she bore the title of princess, she was still badass and tough-as-nails, keeping cool while in the presence of Vader and Tarkin.
Old 28 December 2016, 04:12 AM

Carrie Fisher Had Just One Request for Her Obituary

Quote:
As she put it in Wishful Drinking: “I want it reported that I drowned in moonlight, strangled by my own bra."
Old 28 December 2016, 04:20 AM

That's right up there with "Died Tragically Rescuing His Family From The Wreckage Of A Destroyed Sinking Battleship."