snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 04 December 2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post

Third: I may have spoiled something in the game? I like to explore in games - like when I ignored the actual gameplay of Farming Simulator 17 and instead found all the gold nuggets and the abandoned video game console, and learned how to turn over a flipped pickup using a weed whacker.
Nothing has been spoiled. You can actually explore the Subnautica world for days on end without advancing the game's storyline.

There are a few timed and triggered scripted events, but there's really nothing pushing one to go any faster than at a pace that's comfortable. In some ways, I guess its a bit like Skyrim in that there is a main quest, but it can wait.

~Psihala

Last edited by Psihala; 04 December 2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11 December 2018, 02:14 AM

Well, Subnautica is doing an awesome job engaging my attention, and it has nearly literally scared the crap out of me. Swimming along, something with a very very deep base sound was right under me. Didn't realize I was over deep water. Ducked under, and... you know that scene in Finding Nemo, where Dora is going to talk to the whale? A lot like that. Vague, hazy, and huge.

Whimper. Got me right in the fear glands.
Old 11 December 2018, 12:51 PM

They're docile. It's the reapers ya have to watch out for.

~Psihala
Old 11 December 2018, 04:56 PM

I have very good headphones, and they vibrated with the bass that ginormous whatever-it-is made. A first for me (and the headphones).

"Came nigh to a-spoilin' me pantaloons!"
Old 11 December 2018, 07:40 PM

From the description, they're Reefbacks. They get the name from the plant life that grows on their backs. Usually its stuff you might have to travel to other parts of the map to find, and some of it will likely be harvestable--even while the creature is moving about.

They are sometimes afflicted with an unfortunate immersion-breaking (and reported) virus, though. I won't say what it is, but you'll know it when and if you see it.

~Psihala
Old 13 December 2018, 02:41 AM

I... think I may be overfishing? Seems like it's getting harder to find the filter fish, which could spell disaster. Guess I'd better stop exploring so far afield and start base building (but exploring is so much fun!! I swam to an island which is apparently floating on the backs of a bunch of giant floaty critters! And there's evidence of prior inhabitants!). I see bleach is something I can potentially make, and the description suggests I can use it to make potable water. Hope so; hate to die of thirst so early in the game....

I'm really loving this game.
Old 01 January 2019, 12:26 PM

Iím finally on the Red Dead Redamption 2 slippery slope. I got it for Christmas and I adore it.

I have only done a few of the missions, and tend to ignore things and events that I donít think are any of my business!

Iím currently up in the far north searching for a gunslinger with my faithful Shire ďMajor TomĒ last night we got chased by a bear and survived!

Today we are going to try and get the gunslinger but we are so remote and the snow is so deep it is genuinley making me anxious!

Fantastic game.

p.s. I also found a mule on a farm. I am going to have that one next!
Old 01 January 2019, 01:11 PM

Yes, I put Red Dead Redemption 2 on hold to play Forza Horizon 4, which is better for short doses of mindless relaxation, and have ended up buying the Fortune Island DLC for Forza and haven't played RDR2 for a while. And I've just got Assassins Creed: Odyssey for Christmas, which I've not started yet as I've been at my parents. So I am not sure when I'll next get a good go at RDR2. Now that I have a job, I almost need to start timetabling my games...

(eta) My horse is called Cleopatra, and I'm fond enough of her that I've not even wanted to start training up any other horses, even ones that might turn out to be better. They've almost done too good a job on making you bond with the horses!
Old 01 January 2019, 02:15 PM

That they have, I currently have:
Gary Two (Gary One fell down a hole I think),

Major Tom (Named after a Shire Horse that does wagon tours of Tenby that we went on on our Honeymoon) and

Ugly Steve (Which is the cheap horse that you are forced to buy on the ďhow to buy a horse mission)

We stayed at home last night (New Yearís Eve) because Mrs Off was not well, but I found myself, on the strike of midnight, having a party in the Saloon in Valentine, can can dancing with the patrons during the mission where you have to take a compatriot to go and get drunk.

Hilarious stuff!
Old 01 January 2019, 05:03 PM

I've had the game since Black Friday and I've been slowly plugging away at it. I've only got one horse, the preorder DLC warhorse*, who I've named Worthless. I've considered buying another horse, since there are some really good ones unlocked now, but I just don't see the need to do so.

*Despite buying the game about a month after its release, there was a Preorder DLC redemption code in it, so of course I took it.

I've been working on trying to get all the legendary animals and legendary outfits. I've gotten everything but the Tatanka Buffalo, Pronghorn, Panther, and Alligator, and that's because they're in locations I can't reach yet or I haven't reached the point where they become available (two of one, two of the other).

I've got the camp almost fully upgraded, have purchased all but a couple of the guns (BTW, when you're chasing down the gunslingers, be sure to take their revolvers- they're unique weapons).

And buy Pearson the leatherworking tools as quickly as possible: the upgraded carry bags are vital.
Old 01 January 2019, 06:46 PM

There does seem an awful lot to do... Iím not sure I can keep track of it all to really bother about upgrading things
Old 14 February 2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
*Despite buying the game about a month after its release, there was a Preorder DLC redemption code in it, so of course I took it.
I've realised that the "preorder" DLC codes apply to when the shop orders the game, not when the customer orders it. I've had preorder codes weeks after release too. The individual shops presumably have to guess the initial demand and order in advance, and they can't do it just on the pre-orders that they've actually got.

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is huge, and I've been enjoying it, but it's a little annoying that it has so little to do with the series, and that the series has fragmented in this way. It's hardly the first one to be a disconnected side-game, and I suppose there can't be much that's meaningful left to learn about Abstergo / the Templars and the predecessor gods at this point, but it does feel that they've literally lost the plot. I'm about a decade too late on this complaint, I know.

But I was expecting a sequel to Origins, which did advance the main plot, whereas this one comes before Origins. (I'd been wondering how they'd fit "Odyssey" in with Ptolemaic Egypt / the start of the Roman Empire, but assumed it was poetic license on the naming). Origins was the origin story (or at least the retconned origin story; the actual origin story was, gosh, in the first game) - how can you have a prequel, other than that it's a cool setting? Your character isn't an Assassin in any sense, not even the not-really-Assassins sense of the cult that started in Origins!

The only thing it really has in common with the rest of the series is a historical setting, and the gameplay. Fortunately, both of which are good enough that it's a good game. I'm looking forward to the actual sequel to Origins, though. It was clearly set up to have one...

Meanwhile, last weekend I went into Game and found that they had a 3-for-2 offer on secondhand stuff, so I bought - despite not having time to play even the games I'm currently playing - Batman: Arkham Knight, Dishonored 2, and (as the free one, so a punt in the dark) Ryse: Son of Rome.

I've been playing Ryse and it's quite fun, and luckily fairly short - two proper sessions and a little bit tonight, and I'll already be three-fifths of the way through, barring going back for collectibles. It's a third-person fighting game but with the structure of an FPS, in the sense that it has eight linear chapters that you can replay easily in order to find hidden areas and improve your skills and so on. It's fun, but one aspect that annoys me is the finishing moves. They're essentially quicktime "Press X Now" animations where you have to time the button presses to match the on-screen indicators in order to get a good bonus for the kill. (You can't actually lose on them, you've already killed the enemy, but you can get a better or worse bonus).

The problem is that they've tried to disguise it a bit or make it more subtle by not actually displaying the button letter. Instead they outline the enemy in the corresponding colour - blue (X), green (A), yellow (Y) or red (B) - which is exactly the same thing but with slightly less clear information. And since I'm colourblind, unless it's blue I'm essentially guessing which is which. I can just about - I think - distinguish the green from the yellow (although I'm usually wrong when I think it's green) but I'm not sure if they use red at all. They must do, but I've not seen a single one that I could identify as red. Maybe it's the ones I've been getting wrong when I think they're green. If I go for yellow when it looks green-ish I'm often right. But either way, it's an entirely unhelpful game mechanism. Good thing it's not critical to success.

I've not even installed the other two new ones yet, as the console disk is full and I've nothing I want to remove until I finish a few more things.
Old 14 February 2019, 08:36 PM

After having gotten thoroughly sick of how awful things become in Red Dead 2, I've been playing Persona 5 and I'm getting close to beating it.

It's a lot of fun, though pretty much everything in the game having to do with sex and relationships is extremely cringe-worthy. I heard that Atlus got a lot of flak over some of the stuff (such as having two of the 16-year-old protagonist's romance options being adults, one of whom is his high school home room teacher) and the inclusion of a pair of gay men who try to molest one of the other protagonists (which is treated as a joke). There have been a couple of times that I've gotten so worked up that I had to turn the game off for a day.

But aside from that, it's a well made game with good gameplay and a compelling story.
Old 14 February 2019, 08:54 PM

I've been playing Subnautica, finally, in VR. It is outstanding. It is beautiful, and freaky, and a whole lot of fun. I made a mistake in turning all of my titanium into titanium bars, since that seemed like a good way to save space. Do not do this!

But today is the day - the Gathering Storm is here for Civ 6. As neither my wife nor I care about Valentines day, I will be building some canals tonight.
Old 14 February 2019, 09:07 PM

I've been playing a lot of Space Minecraft No Man's Sky. It is good, but I can see how it would have been a lot worse before the updated added major quests.
Old 14 February 2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I made a mistake in turning all of my titanium into titanium bars, since that seemed like a good way to save space. Do not do this!
Well, look at it this way; at least you're well on your way to building the vehicles... or replacing one should something happen to it.

Not that I've ever had that happen to me.

Noooo sireee....

~Psihala
Old 15 February 2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
The problem is that they've tried to disguise it a bit or make it more subtle by not actually displaying the button letter. Instead they outline the enemy in the corresponding colour - blue (X), green (A), yellow (Y) or red (B) - which is exactly the same thing but with slightly less clear information. And since I'm colourblind, unless it's blue I'm essentially guessing which is which. I can just about - I think - distinguish the green from the yellow (although I'm usually wrong when I think it's green) but I'm not sure if they use red at all. They must do, but I've not seen a single one that I could identify as red. Maybe it's the ones I've been getting wrong when I think they're green. If I go for yellow when it looks green-ish I'm often right.
After writing that last night, I realised that they actually don't use red outlines in this context (that's reserved for indicators that somebody is about to hit you, and I can tell it's red, even though it's not necessarily useful). And I don't think they use green either. I'm sure that the tutorial started with a green outline, but when I replayed it to find collectibles, it was yellow (they actually tell you to press Y so it's unambiguous.

So assuming only two choices of either blue or yellow, I started to get a much higher success rate! Not surprising I couldn't work out which were yellow and which were green if they were all yellow.
Old 15 February 2019, 12:26 PM

I'm working through the Epilogue 1 of Red Dead 2. I love the main game, but playing as John Marsten (no matter how much I love him) is becoming a pain. This game is Arthur's, dammit.

RDR2 is one of the best games I've played so far. Quests & side quests that make sense and are fun, a few fetching quests, but most of those are things you can stumble across. Just an amazing game.

I've beat the main game with high honor, so I'm gearing up for a low-honor play through.
Old 15 February 2019, 07:57 PM

Iím now about three days into RDR2. I think I spend 90% of my time exploring rather than completeing main quests and as a result, I have only just made it to the second camp. Fast travel is an anathema to me and when I do go on a long journey it is normally at walk or trot (I tend to look after my horses! I have only lost one so far.)

Other than huntong for LEgendary animals anf fish, I spend most of my time treasure hunting and doing the little side quests. I know there are some more maps out there and there is one location I cannot find (although I have seen a screenshot of it by accident) I want to organically explore.

Iím not going to progress with the main story until I max out my beard! Currently just hit a length of 9!

The game is just a delight. I have been as honorable as possible. I might play through again as pure evil but Iím not sure that I could bring myhself to do it!
Old 15 February 2019, 08:25 PM

I really enjoyed the game up until the final missions of Chapter 4.

At that point it went into a massive downward spiral and I quit in frustration.