snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 20 November 2015, 05:50 PM

Icon105 Uncovered footage reveals TV's 'first' interracial kiss, long before Star Trek

Six years before Capt. Kirk and Lt. Uhura locked lips on "Star Trek" in what is often credited as TV's first interracial kiss, another couple were pushing boundaries.

Newly uncovered footage from the British Film Institute (BFI) shows a black man and a white woman kissing in a televised play of "You in Your Small Corner," in 1962.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/20/world/...-tv/index.html
Old 20 November 2015, 06:06 PM

The British medical soap Emergency Ward 10 had an interracial kiss in 1964, which means that Star Trek was already beat in the category of boldly smooching where none had smooched (on TV) before.
Old 20 November 2015, 06:48 PM

Glasses

Oh, British shows. Everyone knows they don't count (even though, IIRC, Britain had the first national broadcast).

Yet another example of American cultural blinders.

Seaboe
Old 20 November 2015, 08:12 PM

France

Well, given what was likely to happen to a black man kissing a white woman in some parts of the United States in the fifties and sixties, yes, I think the Star Trek kiss (or the one discussed in the OP) were really more significant than interracial kisses anywhere else in the world.
Old 20 November 2015, 09:23 PM

Icon105

I'd not heard of this kiss before, but knew about the Emergency Ward 10 & Star Trek ones.
Old 21 November 2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Six years before Capt. Kirk and Lt. Uhura locked lips on "Star Trek" in what is often credited as TV's first interracial kiss, another couple were pushing boundaries.

Newly uncovered footage from the British Film Institute (BFI) shows a black man and a white woman kissing in a televised play of "You in Your Small Corner," in 1962.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/20/world/...-tv/index.html
So Ricky Ricardo is white now?
Old 21 November 2015, 07:57 AM

Perhaps the relevant question is whether he was 'white' then. Which, arguably, he was.
Old 21 November 2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
So Ricky Ricardo is white now?
As ganzfeld says: he may not be considered white now, but he was considered white at the time, at least in much of the country.

Growing up in the Northeast, I didn't hear of "hispanic" as a "racial" category until well after I was full grown.
Old 21 November 2015, 06:26 PM

I've heard some people split hairs and say that the Ricardos were an inter-ethnic kiss but not an interracial kiss.
Old 21 November 2015, 09:28 PM

I have heard accounts -- but have no idea how accurate they are -- that the network wanted to cast a (non-Hispanic) actor as Lucille Ball's husband, but she refused. The audience doesn't seem to have been troubled by her being with Arnaz.
Old 21 November 2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I have heard accounts -- but have no idea how accurate they are -- that the network wanted to cast a (non-Hispanic) actor as Lucille Ball's husband, but she refused. The audience doesn't seem to have been troubled by her being with Arnaz.
The way I heard it the network was unsure about casting him (her real husband) in the role because of worries about how people in certain areas of the country might react. So the two of them put together a song/dance/comedy show & took it on the road. It played all around the US to delighted audiences with no controversy and the network than decided that casting him wasn't a risky proposition.
Old 21 November 2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Temple View Post
I've heard some people split hairs and say that the Ricardos were an inter-ethnic kiss but not an interracial kiss.
I suppose the next thing would be to find out if Hopalong Cassidy ever kissed that gypsy woman... Except, no. There was never any taboo against "inter-ethnic" kissing. So it really doesn't matter much who did it first on TV.
Old 21 November 2015, 11:47 PM

I didn't interpret Jay's post to mean it did matter. Threads evolve.
Old 22 November 2015, 12:00 AM

True. I'm not saying Jay's saying that. He didn't even say he agreed with those people who say that.
Old 22 November 2015, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Temple View Post
Cubans were accepted as white: Even when baseball was closed to Blacks, there were 40 Cubans who played in the major leagues before Jackie Robinson broke the color line. Mike Gonzalez, Dolph Luque, and Bobby Estrella all had 9 or more years in the majors, and when the Cincinnati Reds tried to break the color line in 1911, they claimed the players were Cuban.

The issue with Lucy and Desi wasn't race -- it was that the executives thought no one would believe they were married, even though they were married in real life.
Old 23 November 2015, 07:00 PM

Icon101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
The issue with Lucy and Desi wasn't race -- it was that the executives thought no one would believe they were married, even though they were married in real life.
That's very stupid, US TV executives seem to have to fail an IQ test to get a position, going by some decisions that have made over the years!
Old 23 November 2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davies View Post
That's very stupid, US TV executives seem to have to fail an IQ test to get a position, going by some decisions that have made over the years!
Mary Richards was supposed to be a divorcee, but they made her having broken off an engagement, because an executive said "divorce isn't funny."
Old 24 November 2015, 02:11 PM

Glasses

Also, look at producers and show runners who kill off characters to make the show "more realistic" and to prove "nobody's safe." It's a TV show. People watch those for entertainment. They get attached to characters. Killing off characters mostly makes people not dare to care, and then why should they watch?

Sheesh.

Seaboe
Old 24 November 2015, 02:17 PM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davies View Post
Reality is unrealistic, after all...
Old 24 November 2015, 06:01 PM

Not to get too off-topic but ...

Lucille Ball had been appearing on a radio show called My Favorite Husband co-starring Richard Denning. When they approached her about doing a TV series they wanted to do a TV version of the radios show, much like they were planning to do with Our Miss Brooks or, later, Father Knows Best. Lucy would only agree to do a series if Desi were in it with her. Based on what many of the shows writers said about Desi's editing and producing abilities, that was a very good call.

Parenthetically, Lucy's supporting cast on My Favorite Husband were Gale Gordon and Bea Benadaret who she wanted to play Fred and Ethel. Benadaret had signed on to the Burns and Allen show and Gordon to Our Miss Brooks, so neither were available.

As for MTM, the biggest concern (according to an interview with her I saw) was that the audience would assume she had divorced Dick Van Dyke.

Back to the OP, the correct claim that Star Trek books have always made is that Kirk and Uhura were the first inter-racial kiss on American TV.