snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 27 November 2018, 07:25 AM

I liked it too. I fully expect, however, to be able to find those #ThotAudit types whinging about how the menfolk were treated.

In other news, I’m hearing that Jodie and Chibnall might be leaving?
Old 27 November 2018, 01:18 PM

France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
I liked it too. I fully expect, however, to be able to find those #ThotAudit types whinging about how the menfolk were treated.

In other news, I’m hearing that Jodie and Chibnall might be leaving?
That's the latest rumour, yes. There would be a new season in 2019, and after that, they might leave. But of course, nothing is confirmed yet, so feel free to take that with a grain of salt.

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/20...019-after-all/

Meanwhile, in other news, the first pics of the New Year special have appeared online, and something a classic Doctor has worn is making its return. But see for yourself :

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2...ay-first-look/
Old 28 November 2018, 03:16 AM

Mouse

I hope they don’t leave, even if I admit I just started watching Doctor Who with this series and I only got into out of spite. The whinyass fanboys were throwing such hissies about the Doctor being a girl with girl parts and I figured anything that makes them cry, might be worth my time. Doctor Who is something I had been meaning to check out, but until the hissies, I was intimidated by the decades-worth of continuity and the insane fanbase. Again, there doesn’t seem to be such a thing as a casual Whovian.

I have to admit I haven’t gotten into Star Trek for pretty much the same reasons: decades of continuity and massive, insane fanbase.
Old 29 November 2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Doctor Who is something I had been meaning to check out, but until the hissies, I was intimidated by the decades-worth of continuity and the insane fanbase.
What continuity? Seriously, the old show pretty much just depended on you knowing “This is the Doctor, this is the TARDIS, these are the baddies”. The second Dalek story does rely on memory of the first, but only to tell us that these are not the same Daleks the team encountered on Skaro.

ETA: there has been some scuttlebutt, based on biased readings, that the show is tanking. Here’s Council Of Geeks to say that it’s not.

Last edited by Jusenkyo no Pikachu; 29 November 2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04 December 2018, 03:33 AM

So the second-last episode has aired. I liked it, and I thought that the final showdown is the most Doctor Who-esque thing the new series has done.

Amazingly, that bowlestrek guy managed to find something wrong with it. Because, see, where we think that a certain one character point is completely logical for him, this guy extrapolates that to mean “Chibnall hates straight white guys and thinks they’re weak arseholes”. Also, he’s whinging that the final episode won’t be something epic, even though “epic resolutions” are something Doctor Who is really not that great at doing.
Old 10 December 2018, 09:07 AM

FINAL EPISODE YAAAAAAAY!

I’m…honestly amazed. I mean, the villain was rather underwhelming at first, but he actually managed to do something genuinely threatening.

Also, I thought the scene where Thirteen meets the villain was very Old Who.
Old 10 December 2018, 11:47 AM

Frying Pan

I'm quite a few episodes behind so I'm just quickly dipping into the thread and not looking at any posts to avoid spoilers to say that a friend found a shirt on Red Bubble that listed all the actors who have played The Doctor and after Capaldi it just said ".... and that's all"

How ridiculously fragile does someone have to be in their fandom to not only think that way, but to advertise it on their clothing and then offer it up for sale to other angry nerds???
Old 10 December 2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
How ridiculously fragile does someone have to be in their fandom to not only think that way, but to advertise it on their clothing and then offer it up for sale to other angry nerds???
Well, a couple of posts in this thread have me referencing someone who thinks that Chibnall (a married straight white guy) hates married straight white guys.

Seriously, he thinks the following things:

That “Rosa” should have looked at all the anti-racist white people (in 1950s Alabama)
That Chris Noth’s character in “Arachnids In The UK” was a scathing take on Trump because apparently people not on the Right say that stupid bloody meme.
That “Demons Of The Punjab” glorifies Islam
That “The Witchfinders” was blablablaSEXISMS! (In fact, in his review, he goes out of his way to put words in the Doctor’s mouth, saying she claims things the psychic paper says)
That the Doctor talking to Erik in “It Takes You Away” is something something she hates straight males (and so does Chibnall)

He’s one of about three I’ve found (and the only one I’ve actually even paid attention to). So yeah, I can imagine people being stupid fragile in this fandom.
Old 24 December 2018, 05:23 PM

BBC America is showing all Dr. Who all the time until the New Years Day Special. It is finishing with a replay of all the 2018 season.
Old 03 January 2019, 01:08 AM

It’s January 3 here.

I actually liked the scrap metal Dalek design. Mum reckons it makes the Dalek look like a girl, but we all know Real Men Wear Pink…right?
Old 04 January 2019, 03:23 PM

Now that Thirteen has had a full series followed by an after-dinner mint (in the form of a New Year's special rather than the usual Christmas special) I think I'm long overdue my usual Doctor Who review.

Rather than looking at all the episodes individually, I'll attempt to sort out my thoughts on Chibnall's first run on the whole.

The gist of my impression of this series (season if you're a USian) is that it never quite reached the highest heights or stooped to the lowest lows of previous series. It always seemed to linger comfortably in the cracks of the middle ground, ranging from okay to pretty good. A couple of episodes stood out - Demons of the Punjab and It Takes You Away were both cracking additions that I'm sure both Moffat or Davies would have sacrificed a small robot dog to have had in their portfolios. Yet I can't say I was especially blown away even by those. A cloud of cynicism has fallen over the fandom, smothering out most of the enthusiasm we used to have.

Perhaps Doctor Who has just overstayed its welcome and needs to be put back on the shelf for a decade or so, like a favourite toy that you get sick of until you find it again later behind the box of Legos. Or perhaps there's just something 'off' that I can't quite put my finger on.

It's certainly not Jodie Whittaker as The Doctor that's 'off', despite the outcry of the knucklechucks bemoaning the loss of one male protagonist in a cultural landscape that seems to be overrun by penises in much the same way riverlands get overrun by Himalayan Balsam (the trick is to burn them or they only grow back more abundantly next year). For the most part, the fandom seems to regard Jodie's Doctor as a consistent good point in what is otherwise a fairly divisive series.

I don't think there were too many Companions, either, but none ever quite seemed to receive enough direct focus to make them fan favourites. They were likeable enough, in a forgettable and generic sort of way. It's as if a computer created an algorithm that formulated three typical Doctor Who companions from the traits of the previous ones and then blanded them out a bit. There was no real dynamic behind the team. I'm not saying we needed forced tension or that each character needed to be a special colour-coded archetype, but each character should have contributed something unique that would have made it seem like only Yas would have responded like *this* or only Ryan would have done *that*. As it was I felt most of the time that they were just *there* and might as well have been three houseplants the Doctor decided to dress in different outfits out of boredom and loneliness. Graham was the most unique, but that was more due to the actor's skill rather than him being given anything especially interesting to do. In the Chri- er... New Year's episode, Ryan had a moment where he stood up to his deadbeat dad and I thought 'Why haven't we seen more of *this* Ryan before??'. To little too late, I fear.

The series looked great, I'll give it that. It had a grim, gritty, industrial tone that put me in mind of the cheap yet effectively unsettling look of the alien totally-not-an-abandoned-quarry landscapes of classic Who.

It could have done with more focus. An arc would have been nice, and I don't just mean Tim Shaw coming back. It needed something to pull out together and a little more of that ineffable quality known as 'heart'.

But otherwise it was pretty good. Sometimes just okay.

Edit: typoes and formatting errors are due to typing on my stupid phone instead of my much cleverer laptop.

Last edited by Blatherskite; 04 January 2019 at 03:29 PM.