snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 05 December 2018, 12:41 AM

Reading Wishbookweb -- browse vintage catalogs

I found this site tonight and thought I'd share it for anyone else who might want a dose of nostalgia, or for the younger folks to see what Christmas shopping was like before the Internet!

Eagerly awaiting this book to arrive, and excitedly paging through it! Ooh how my brother and I used to fight over it!

Here's the 1977 catalog. The good stuff -- the TOYS -- starts on page 400!

http://www.wishbookweb.com/FB/1977_Sears_Wishbook/#400

More catalogs from different years and companies.

http://www.wishbookweb.com/the-catalogs/
Old 05 December 2018, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
I found this site tonight and thought I'd share it for anyone else who might want a dose of nostalgia, or for the younger folks to see what Christmas shopping was like before the Internet!

Eagerly awaiting this book to arrive, and excitedly paging through it! Ooh how my brother and I used to fight over it!

Here's the 1977 catalog. The good stuff -- the TOYS -- starts on page 400!
The only book my sister and I always read back to front.

Ah! Found it. In that very same 1977 catalogue, page 558 - I got the Micronauts' Mobile Exploration Lab and Biotron for Christmas that year, my parents undoubtedly getting them from Sears. And coincidentally, I have two of the plastic yellow domes from the Lab sitting on the desk in front of me as I type - found them while cleaning a couple of weeks ago, and promised to a friend who I gave the remnants of my Micronauts collection to some years ago.

Last edited by Crius of CoH; 05 December 2018 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05 December 2018, 01:36 AM

I remember looking through this very issue back in '77. I borrowed a co-workers' edition to choose a gift for the future Ms Rocket. We'd been dating a little over a year, and I wanted to get her something nice. Ended up choosing a watch, which she still has.

Check out the gaming systems at the front. They seemed so sleek and modern at the time.

Boy, does this bring back memories!

Teh bell bottomz!!
Old 05 December 2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
Teh bell bottomz!!

No kidding! If you weren't already sure it was the '77 catalog, just go to the clothing section!
Old 05 December 2018, 11:07 AM

What surprises me for a 1977 catalog is the lack of Star Wars merchandise. I thought there'd be gobs of the stuff.

But, IIRC these catalogs came out in late summer or in the fall, and Star Wars had only come out in May of that year. Maybe when the book was being put together SW hadn't become quite the powerhouse it would be later. The 1979 catalog they have, however...
Old 05 December 2018, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the link TGG, GenYette and I played a fun game of "I had that toy!" with the catalog.

Quote:
No kidding! If you weren't already sure it was the '77 catalog, just go to the clothing section!
Even the dolls are wearing bell-bottom denim outifts!

Quote:
But, IIRC these catalogs came out in late summer or in the fall, and Star Wars had only come out in May of that year.
Toy fairs seem to be typically held in the first few months of the years. In 1977, the toy fair in New York was February 20-23. I would imagine the toys and other items in that wishbook would have come from that or similar fairs from early 1977. So while Star Wars toys existed, they wouldn't have been seen as a big deal during the fair. Also, at the time, Sears was a major player in the toy industry, they may not have wanted to deal with what would have been seen as a small manufacturer that couldn't keep up with Sears' supply demands.