snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 19 December 2016, 04:28 PM

Only if by "a lot" you mean 72.
Old 19 December 2016, 05:54 PM

^^Exactly.

Honestly, I'm more than a bit surprised to read a post from an adult who didn't realize the trope even existed.
Old 20 December 2016, 01:06 AM

It still exists, as a trope, as a belief, and among some women as a practice. The difference, and what "no means no" is really about, is not that women never say no insincerely, but that you should never assume that a "no" is insincere, or that you can tell the difference.

Lots of women won't give a sincere answer when asked if they would like the last piece of cake. Some will admit they want the cake after being asked 2 or 3 times. Others meant it when they said "no thank you" the first time, and will be annoyed, or may feel harassed if the offeror keeps asking. There are social, cultural, and personal factors at play. There's no reason to pretend that some women don't communicate similarly about sex. The difference is that we have made a concerted effort to encourage people to treat the first no as definitive, so as to avoid engaging in sexual contact without consent if you guess wrong about sincerity.
Old 03 December 2018, 03:03 PM

Cleveland radio station bans 'Baby, It's Cold Outside'

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/01/us/ba...rnd/index.html

Quote:
"Baby, It's Cold Outside," the duet in which a man tries to dissuade a woman from leaving a party despite her repeated protestations, has been pulled from the station's Christmas playlist amid concerns about its predatory nature.
Old 03 December 2018, 06:06 PM

Icon106

I love this song, but then again it doesn't have any triggers for me, and I know that's not the case for everyone.

The line that does bother me, if anything, is "At least I'm going to say I tried." Which implies if anyone asks she'll tell them that she "tried" but he somehow overcame her attempts. So what does that make him?

Girl: I really shouldn't eat this cake, I'm supposed to be sticking to a diet.
BFF: Oh, come on, it's your birthday!
Girl: It really looks so yummy, and it's my favorite, but I should be good.
BFF: A teeny slice isn't going to hurt you much!
Girl: My weight-loss group will yell at me...
BFF: You don't have to tell them, do you?
Girl: Well, OK.

Does the girl want to eat the cake? Will she tell her group that she "tried" to avoid eating any of it but her friend forced her?