snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 23 May 2018, 09:04 PM

Default Little things that make you happy

Last month, when I was out of town, I stopped in a thrift store that was having an art sale. I got a print for $2, which was matted to an odd size, slightly over 16 x 18 inches. I set it aside and planned to get either a new mat in a more conventional size, or a custom frame for it.

Today while browsing a local thrift store, I was looking for a 16 x 20 frame, when I found a frame -- with glass -- that happens to be 16 x 18. And it was only $1.50! I still had to trim a bit off the mat of my print to make it fit, but it looks great.
Old 24 May 2018, 02:08 PM

Glasses

I am busy at work without feeling overly busy. My job is such a roller coaster (it's dependent on what other people need) that this middle ground is rare and to be cherished.

Seaboe
Old 24 May 2018, 11:42 PM

XKCD has finally posted a new What-if
https://what-if.xkcd.com/
Old 25 May 2018, 10:50 AM

Thank you jimmy. That was very good to see, and a great explainer.
Old 25 May 2018, 01:59 PM

Glasses

A coworker told me she didn't want me to retire (even though any potential dates are 2.5 years away).

Seaboe
Old 27 May 2018, 02:22 AM

Mouse

I got a check from my grandma for thirty dollars.
Old 13 December 2018, 04:48 AM

Early (so freaking early) tomorrow I fly to Cancun for a 2 weeks and change vacation. Wheeeee! I'm gonna scuba dive and work on my Spanish and see Mayan ruins and eat alllllllllll the tacos.

Two days ago I got hit with a case for which we needed to file a writ petition ASAP. The last one took me over a week, so I looped in a supervisor who used to do writs and offered to put together the record before I left so she could get started. She agreed. But then this time things ended up much faster than expected, and I finished and filed the petition myself at 4! Then I came home and packed, but now I'm too excited to sleep. It's all happening!
Old 26 December 2018, 04:27 AM

Cheer

Today we had a bone fide, albeit small scale, Christmas miracle.

In a (relatively) last minute decision, I decided to drive down to Texas to spend Christmas with family converging on the area—they knew I was coming, but in some cases only with a day of notice, so not much chance for them (or expectation on my part) to buy anything for me. Which is all fine.

For days, I’ve been wearing the same pair of jeans—I pack light, you see—and though I had a pair of khaki pants, they were a little loose around the waist and I neglected to pack a belt. On Christmas morning, just to break the monotony, I decided to wear said khaki pants and I commented early on that it would be "a Christmas miracle" if a belt appeared under the tree for me (I specifically said no thanks to an offer of a belt from my father—I didn’t need one that bad, it was just idle talk). Anyways, as expected there were only a couple last minute gifts for me, not a belt, but there was also a problem with some of the gift bags losing their to/from labels. One of the unlabeled bags was supposed to be for my father, but as we were figuring that out and I was about to pass it to him, my mother (the purchaser ofthe gift) suggested that it might be "better" for me.

Skeptical at first, I dug through the tissue paper covering up the gift below to find a new belt, still with its original store-bought packaging (so not a last minute injection of a used belt, but a belt that was genuinely purchased as a gift for my father), and found it fit and matched perfectly what I was wearing. An honest to DOYC Christmas miracle! complete with magically disappearing to/from labels (more than one bag was affected, so this wasn’t a staged thing either) and spontaneous fulfillment of a predeclared statement that it would be "a Christmas miracle" if certain conditions were met. And they were!

So, yes, Virginia, there is a Christmas.
Old 26 December 2018, 03:38 PM

Merry Christmas, ASL! glad you had a good one.
Old 02 January 2019, 03:53 PM

Not sure if this is where this belongs, but it made both of us laugh this morning. CBS morning show had a bit about home nurse visits for new borns in Raleigh NC IIRC. The newsperson then said "For more information about how to calm a fussy baby, go to our web site." As I looked up, there was a prominent picture of Trump. It was not done on purpose as the photo was a shot of the CBS main page and a zoom in to the article about babies.

ETA: I'll bet dollars to donuts that this appears as a left wing attack on Trump in the right wing fake news.
Old 02 January 2019, 05:07 PM

Icon97

Richard, seems to me that would have the opposite effect!