snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 20 December 2018, 05:01 AM

Default A Weed Grows In Toledo, And Residents Hang Their Christmas Hopes Upon It

A Weed Grows In Toledo, And Residents Hang Their Christmas Hopes Upon It

Quote:
University of Toledo student Alyssa Emrick, 20, tells NPR that she and her family had often driven past the weed recently on their way to and from church. Then on Dec. 9, a light went off for her father, Troy.

"For a while he has wanted to decorate something kind of random
-- and things, shall I say snowballed, from there.

Neat bit of holiday season news, I thought.
Old 20 December 2018, 01:41 PM

I want to do this too!
Old 20 December 2018, 06:37 PM

Driver

As I commute daily from south of Seattle to my job just north of Seattle, I take Highway 99 (which through the downtown corridor is the soon-to-be-demolished Viaduct, but that's another story).

Just south of downtown, in between sections of the jersey barrier median, a volunteer/weed butterfly bush has been growing for a while; it's currently about 2-3 feet tall. This past Easter, someone hung a bunch of plastic eggs on it. In spite of traffic rushing by on both sides at about 50 mph, there are still two eggs hanging there. I get a smile every time I happen to see it. Unfortunately since it's a highway with no shoulders, it's impossible for me to photograph it. I'm still stumped how someone managed to hang them on there in the first place without getting killed.

I'm hoping the plant and surviving eggs will still be there after the improvements are all finished and the tunnel opens.
Old 20 December 2018, 07:28 PM

It looks like a pile of garbage to me.

Someone ought to clean up that street corner for the holidays, maybe a local scout group.