(....Atlantic Rim?????)
Old 13 November 2018, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
(....Atlantic Rim?????)
There's also a sequel:
Atlantic Rim: Resurrection.
Old 13 November 2018, 02:32 AM

One of Sci-Fi channel's many low-budget original movies.
Old 13 November 2018, 03:02 AM

From the description of Atlantic Rim: Resurrection:

Quote:
Los Angeles is under attack by monsters.
Huh?
Old 13 November 2018, 09:59 AM

Are you not expecting a shameless ripoff of Pacific Rim to have that plot?
Old 13 November 2018, 10:58 AM

It's the other Los Angeles. The one in Maine.
Old 13 November 2018, 03:12 PM

I couldn't find Atlantic Rim on IMDB, only the sequel, but that led to the correct entry; it's apparently been renamed From the Sea. I don't know if that was the result of legal action, or if they're just trying to trick people into renting it twice.

In either case, the user reviews are slightly amusing...
Old 13 November 2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
It's the other Los Angeles. The one in Maine.
Or it could be that it’s the sequel and it could very well be LA? Like how Sharknado 2 is set in New York? And Transmorphers 2 ignores the setup of the first movie?

Quote:
I couldn't find Atlantic Rim on IMDB, only the sequel, but that led to the correct entry; it's apparently been renamed From the Sea. I don't know if that was the result of legal action, or if they're just trying to trick people into renting it twice.
It’s probable that that was actually the original title. Transmorphers was originally produced as Robot Wars (makes sense, given that it actually bears more resemblance to a mix of Terminator and Starship Troopers. If anything, the sequel should have been set on robot Klendathu, but no, it was patterned after Revenge of the Fallen.)

Last edited by Jusenkyo no Pikachu; 13 November 2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 13 November 2018, 09:09 PM

So when is this supposed to come out, anyway? It seems like it's been taking a rather long time for this season.
Old 13 November 2018, 09:26 PM

Turkey Day, of course -- November 22.
Old 25 November 2018, 05:04 AM

Referring to the films, not the riffing:

Does anyone involved in making these things actually think they're going to be good? I can't help but wonder.

I know I could write better scripts than these, but not so much better that they'd be anything I would expect anyone would be interested in buying...or that I'd even want my real name on if they did.
Old 25 November 2018, 06:39 AM

Well, Atlantic Rim is from The Asylum, which specializes in producing bad knockoffs of popular films so I suspect that they realize it (which would explain why all the actors are either hamming it to the max or phoning it in). Don't know about the others: some people really are that delusional.

I just finished The Day Time Ended tonight: boy, was that ever an incoherent mess.
Old 26 November 2018, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Referring to the films, not the riffing:

Does anyone involved in making these things actually think they're going to be good? I can't help but wonder.

I know I could write better scripts than these, but not so much better that they'd be anything I would expect anyone would be interested in buying...or that I'd even want my real name on if they did.
I think that part of the answer is that they're following a long long LONG tradition of cheap/campy B movies with dodgy scripts and even dodgier effects that had their heyday in the 50s monster movies but never really went away. There's also a long tradition of people making a career out of presenting dodgy movies like Elvira and the Cryptmaster, the original MST3K series in the 80s and 90s, and these days on Youtube channels like Red Letter Media. In many cases these productions were pushed along by the bean counters behind the scenes who were primarily concerned about getting the product delivered to the theaters on time and were more than prepared to let the artist merits fall by the wayside if they needed to make a compromise in order to hit the deadline. There's a great documentary about the Cannon Films studio which made such great films as Superman 4 and Masters of the Universe and were pretty much responsible for Chuck Norris' career which is a real eye opener. Here's a deleted scene where they explain why their 1990 Captain America film was so amazingly terrible:

I suspect that another part of the answer is that they're pitching these movies towards Millennials so they're "ironically" bad. Certain people really do enjoy watching bad movies with their buddies on occasion and laughing at how awful they are and certain production studios are willing to chase that market, which sort of blurs the whole "laughing at them and not with them" line but hey, that's capitalism!
Old 26 November 2018, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I just finished The Day Time Ended tonight: boy, was that ever an incoherent mess.
Probably my favorite episode of the revival series so far, though. Might have been all the 80's music references.

About 40 minutes in I was thinking, "OK, this movie isn't good, but I think you could conceivably make an acceptable movie with this basic premise...." and then the claymation monsters showed up, and yeah, as they said...one concept too many.
Old 26 November 2018, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I suspect that another part of the answer is that they're pitching these movies towards Millennials so they're "ironically" bad. Certain people really do enjoy watching bad movies with their buddies on occasion and laughing at how awful they are and certain production studios are willing to chase that market, which sort of blurs the whole "laughing at them and not with them" line but hey, that's capitalism!
Well, most of these movies were made well before the millenials were even conceived, so I don't think that's who they were aiming at.

I understand why we're enjoying how awful they are now, but I still have to wonder if the people making them actually thought they had something good. Remember, actual people with money had to invest enough of it to get these films made. In most cases they were expecting a profit. I can't quite believe so many films were made to be intentionally bad. Intentionally mediocre, sure.
Old 26 November 2018, 05:36 AM

A lot of them weren't. A lot of them were just the result of the movie getting made with a bunch of people who were too inexperienced or talented to put together a good movie. Plus you could get really bad editing and post-production, or maybe they ran out of money while filming and the footage was left in the vault for a while before someone found it and decided to splice some extra stock footage in to give it something resembling a plot before releasing it to see if they could make a couple bucks.

And sometimes they just didn't care. Like how Adam Sandler makes movies in spots where he wants to go on vacation- two days shooting the movie so he can claim the trip as a business expense for tax purposes, 12 days hitting the beach.
Old 26 November 2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Well, most of these movies were made well before the millenials were even conceived, so I don't think that's who they were aiming at.
Ah, I should have specified that I was talking about the Asylum films when I was talking abouut "ironically" bad films. They started making their mockbusters in the mid 00s which is definitely Millennials territory.

Edit: the Sharknado films make it pretty obvious that they're 'in' on the joke

Last edited by Gutter Monkey; 26 November 2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 27 November 2018, 06:12 PM

Blow Your Top

Good lord there's FIVE Sharknado movies?! I thought they'd stopped at three!

That well's not only dried up, it's caved in on itself.
Old 28 November 2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Good lord there's FIVE Sharknado movies?! I thought they'd stopped at three!

That well's not only dried up, it's caved in on itself.
Actually, there's 6. The last one is titled The Last Sharknado: It's About Time.