snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 20 February 2019, 05:30 PM

Chillas, your alternate answer to 6 doesn't have an ascender in any version of cursive I've seen.
Old 20 February 2019, 05:50 PM

My recollection was that it has a short one, but I could be mis-remembering.
Old 20 February 2019, 06:30 PM

Glasses

IIRC, an ascender in cursive has to rise above the mid-line of the letters. I don't recall that the letter chillas is thinking of rises that high.

Seaboe
Old 21 February 2019, 02:02 PM

Ah, that might be the issue.
Old 26 February 2019, 12:53 PM

Time for Tuesday trivia.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What 15th-century Dutch painter was heavily influenced by the Irish knight Tundale and his visions of heaven and hell?
If Tundale hadn't written down all his weird visions of hell, Hieronymus Bosch might never have painted his weird visions of hell.

2. What 4,000-year-old word was misspelled in the name of the only horse ever to win the Grand Slam of Thoroughbred Racing, in 2015?
The owners of American Pharoah originally tried to blame the breed registry organization for this misspelling, but there was a paper trail showing that it was wrong on the original application. It's not like horses can spell, though.

3. In 1935, a Seattle Times reporter coined what imposing nickname for the B-17 bomber?
They're "Flying Fortresses" because of one alliteration-loving journalist.

4. A performer who is "corpsing" is inadvertently doing what on-stage?
Cracking up, laughing. American comedy performers are maybe more likely to say "breaking" than "corpsing," which is more of a U.K. expression.

5. How many flavors of quarks are there?
Six. Up, down, top, bottom, rocky road, and mint chip.

6. In traditional cursive writing, like the Palmer Method, what's the only lower-case letter that has both an ascender and a descender?
Ascenders are strokes of a letter that go above the midline (like the top of a 'b') and descenders are strokes that go below the baseline (like the tail of a 'g'). The only cursive letter that has both is 'f'.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Kofi Annan, Marie Curie, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Ivan Pavlov, Teddy Roosevelt, Ernest Rutherford, Anwar Sadat, Wole Soyinka, Mother Teresa, William Butler Yeats.
These are just not Nobel Prize winners, but the first-ever Nobel Prize winners from their respective countries.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The 16th-century proposition known as Pascal's Wager argues that rational people should do what?

2. In his much-discussed 2018 music video, who is seen gunning down a church choir with a Kalashnikov rifle?

3. What kind of Italian cheese can you approximate at home just by adding lemon juice to hot milk?

4. The tardigrade, a microscopic animal, is sometimes referred to as the "water" type of what other animal?

5. How did an estimated 50,000 people die in Lisbon, Portugal in November 1755?

6. Financial exchanges trade both commodities and what other category of investments, which includes instruments like stocks and bonds?

7. What do these international movie directors have in common? Lindsay Anderson, Milos Forman, Jean-Luc Godard, Hou Hsaio-hsien, Nagisa Oshima, Cristi Puiu, Tsui Hark, Peter Weir.

Enjoy!
Old 26 February 2019, 01:06 PM

4. The tardigrade, a microscopic animal, is sometimes referred to as the "water" type of what other animal?

They're called 'björndjur', bear animals,
In Swedish anyway

An earthquake and I think a tsunami was involved as well
Old 26 February 2019, 01:10 PM

1. The 16th-century proposition known as Pascal's Wager argues that rational people should do what? Believe in God, just in case.

6. Financial exchanges trade both commodities and what other category of investments, which includes instruments like stocks and bonds? Instruments???
Old 26 February 2019, 01:13 PM

1. The 16th-century proposition known as Pascal's Wager argues that rational people should do what?

Believe in God. Because of course there is only one version of God, so there are only two choices; and of course if Pascal's version does exist he won't know the difference between believing and making a wager. Don't get me going on Pascal's Wager.

2. In his much-discussed 2018 music video, who is seen gunning down a church choir with a Kalashnikov rifle?

Childish Gambino? -- if that's right, I'm surprised that I know this.

Some chunk of my head has come up with the answer "hippopotamus"; though I have no idea why. Don't stand too close to the -- wait a minute.

Earthquake; due to which I think the city also caught on fire. In the best of all possible worlds.
Old 26 February 2019, 01:37 PM

thorny locust, I am on the same page as you with regards to Pascal's Wager, especially the part of God being satisfied with faking belief. Frankly, a god that cared only about the pretense of belief would be scarier than one who cared about true belief.

PS. The part of their being only one god could be taken care of by believing in all of them. The Commandment only says to put no other gods before Him. It's like the US flag, it shouldn't be flown lower than other country's flags, but they can be flown at the same height.
Old 26 February 2019, 01:57 PM

1. The 16th-century proposition known as Pascal's Wager argues that rational people should do what? Believe in God

2. In his much-discussed 2018 music video, who is seen gunning down a church choir with a Kalashnikov rifle? Childish Gambino, AKA Don Glover

3. What kind of Italian cheese can you approximate at home just by adding lemon juice to hot milk? Ricotta (IIRC the real stuff is made with whey)

4. The tardigrade, a microscopic animal, is sometimes referred to as the "water" type of what other animal? bear

5. How did an estimated 50,000 people die in Lisbon, Portugal in November 1755? earthquake?

6. Financial exchanges trade both commodities and what other category of investments, which includes instruments like stocks and bonds? Hmm... the only thing I can think of is futures, but I'm pretty sure that's a distinct (and different) category of financial instrument.

7. What do these international movie directors have in common? Lindsay Anderson, Milos Forman, Jean-Luc Godard, Hou Hsaio-hsien, Nagisa Oshima, Cristi Puiu, Tsui Hark, Peter Weir. I only know a few of these by name, and nothing springs to mind based on those.
Old 26 February 2019, 02:10 PM

GenYus, the problem with your proposed technique of believing in all of them is that a significant percentage of the versions say that I'll also go to hell if I don't believe specifically and exclusively in their version.

Not to mention that I have trouble wrapping my head around the concept of believing simultaneously in, say, the Norse pantheon and Hasidic Judaism. I really don't think I could pull that off.
Old 26 February 2019, 02:31 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
These are just not Nobel Prize winners, but the first-ever Nobel Prize winners from their respective countries.
The country they're referring to must be the country of their birth. Because Marie spent most of her working life in France, and Rutherford in England--and I know at least one person in England who got a Nobel Prize before Rutherford (Kipling).

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Not believe in heaven?
Quote:

Much discussed, maybe, but never seen. Kanye West, because this is not a question I can let go unanswered, even though I don't know what they're talking about.
Quote:

3. What kind of Italian cheese can you approximate at home just by adding lemon juice to hot milk?
Ricotta?
Quote:

I forgot the answer in the time it took me to set up to type the answer. Tardigrades are known as water bears. That's wrong, but it's something.
Quote:

Okay, now this one I know. An earthquake (followed by a tsunami, IIRC).
Quote:

6. Financial exchanges trade both commodities and what other category of investments, which includes instruments like stocks and bonds?
Sigh. Another answer that slips away the harder I try to grasp it. Financial papers.
Quote:

7. What do these international movie directors have in common? Lindsay Anderson, Milos Forman, Jean-Luc Godard, Hou Hsaio-hsien, Nagisa Oshima, Cristi Puiu, Tsui Hark, Peter Weir.
Okay, this is not a topic I'm ever going to do well on, so I'm not going to try. So there. Except...have they won the Palme D'or at Cannes without being nominated for an Oscar?

ETA: Wow, two of my guesses were right!

Seaboe

Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 26 February 2019 at 02:34 PM. Reason: To crow about getting 3 right when I thought I'd only gotten 1
Old 26 February 2019, 02:40 PM

Just tell those gods that you were just trolling the believers of the other gods by pretending to believe in them.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
6. Financial exchanges trade both commodities and what other category of investments, which includes instruments like stocks and bonds? Hmm... the only thing I can think of is futures, but I'm pretty sure that's a distinct (and different) category of financial instrument.
I think futures are commodities.
Old 26 February 2019, 03:22 PM

Is 6 maybe shares?
Old 26 February 2019, 03:26 PM

I don't think so. I don't know that a bond is described as being a share as it isn't a share of anything but simply a promissory note.
Old 26 February 2019, 03:37 PM

6 is security

ETA: For 7, I'll guess that they all adapted works of an American writer.
Old 26 February 2019, 04:08 PM

1. Believe in whatever religion promises the most stuff in the afterlife - I think that's the Mormons right now.

2. I haven't seen the video, but I assume it's Childish Gambino.

3. I would guess cottage cheese, but I don't think that's Italian.

4. No clue. Tick?

5. Earthquake.

6. Securities?

7. Not even a start on this.
Old 26 February 2019, 05:09 PM

2. In his much-discussed 2018 music video, who is seen gunning down a church choir with a Kalashnikov rifle? Donald "Childish Gambino aka Lando Calrissian" Glover.

4. The tardigrade, a microscopic animal, is sometimes referred to as the "water" type of what other animal? Bear.

5. How did an estimated 50,000 people die in Lisbon, Portugal in November 1755? Earthquake?
Old 26 February 2019, 06:25 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
3. I would guess [guess removed because it will show through], but I don't think that's Italian.
But it's fairly close, really. Still basically curds and whey.

Seaboe
Old 26 February 2019, 08:44 PM

I knew all but 5 and 7 this week. I am certain that Steve's and Darth Credence's answers to 6 are correct. (I would go with the plural, like Darth for the category.)