snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 29 March 2018, 05:07 PM

Flame Stop picking on parkland!

The attacks, accusations, and misinformation concerning the Parkland survivors grows increasingly disgusting. The far right, with their tongues firmly planted on the NRA's posterior, and their "doncha take muh guns" idiotic mindset, continue to bully and defame the survivors in the most disgusting manner imaginable. It's bad enough there are some fu... reaking idiots who insist the shooting didn't even take place, and that everyone involved are just paid actors. No, they have to take it to the next level of dishonest repulsiveness and say that Gonzalez was hitting a car window with an umbrella, and that Hogg gave a nazi salute. Dishonest, repulsive, and stupid on both counts. This should be a crime, a form of hate speech, as it is nothing but right wing bigotry towards the left and any ideas that conflict with their narrow view of... everything. But since it is not a crime, let's do the next best thing. Vote democratic in the midterms, or independent, or third party, ANYTHING but republican. Sweep that stupid mindset out of Washington, and maybe then, possibly, the country will regain a little bit of its sanity.
Old 29 March 2018, 09:00 PM

Yeah, it's pretty appalling. I still have a mild hope that the larger American public will make note of just how far these a-holes are willing to go to push their agenda, and that it wind up backfiring on them. But I'm less confident of that since we elected the Trump.

It occurred to me this morning that I would love to see an article from a parent that basically says, "I'm pro-gun, I don't support more restrictions on guns, I believe we need them for self-defense and to guard against tyranny, etc., and that banning them won't make us safer. However, I am proud of my kid for marching and speaking out for something s/he sincerely believes in."

Think there are any out there?
Old 29 March 2018, 09:19 PM

It's been happening for years, whenever there is any mass shooting, or any news stories that doesn't fit their narrative, it's always "crisis actors". Obviously their worldview is infallible, so anything that could potentially create cognitive dissonance is automatically fake news. You don't need facts, all you need to know is whether you want to believe it.
Old 29 March 2018, 09:28 PM

Unfortunately for Mrs. Laura Ingraham, she is learning that the Parkland survivors are not going to back down quietly. She is currently losing significant advertisers for her media shows. A half dozen high profile companies have pulled their dollars and a non-apology apology has not yet stopped the tide.

Hogg: I'll accept Ingraham's apology if she condemns Fox News coverage

Quote:
"I will only accept your apology only if you denounce the way your network has treated my friends and I in this fight. It’s time to love thy neighbor, not mudsling at children," Hogg tweeted Thursday.
Old 30 March 2018, 03:42 AM

Welcome to the boards, atimnie! (You appear to have joined four years ago. Have you been lurking that long?)
Old 30 March 2018, 04:16 AM

Bang Head

One thing that's really crazy that I've unfortunately experienced:

About two and a half years ago, there was a school shooting here and nine people died (two of which were people I knew, though not well). Prior to that, many people in town had gone on the "crisis actor" faked shooting conspiracy theories for other school shootings, like Sandy Hook.

Most of those people still admit that the one that happened here was real, but they're still insisting that Sandy Hook and Parkland were faked.
Old 30 March 2018, 10:59 AM

I want to know how these conspiracy theorists explain the lack of children coming forward to say that the people on TV aren't their classmates.

For a conspiracy like this to work you would have to trust that a large number of children/teens would all co-operate and be compliant.

'Compliant' is something teenagers are notoriously not. Even under threat, plenty of teens will do the opposite of what they are instructed to do (especially if it gets them attention, which ousting a government lie certainly would).

Also, welcome to the boards! We share your outrage (even those of us in a different country).
Old 30 March 2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
It occurred to me this morning that I would love to see an article from a parent that basically says, "I'm pro-gun, I don't support more restrictions on guns, I believe we need them for self-defense and to guard against tyranny, etc., and that banning them won't make us safer. However, I am proud of my kid for marching and speaking out for something s/he sincerely believes in."

Think there are any out there?
I think there are people like that, and I think they are not small in number. Whether they would get any media attention is another thing. Not polarized enough.

Something left-leaning folks like myself have to remind ourselves is that not everyone who disagrees with us on issues like this is an assault-rifle-toting, activist-bashing, conspiracy-theory-believing a-hole. There are people like that, too - but they entice us to create stereotypes just as wrong as constitution-shredding umbrella-whacking Gonzalez and Nazi Hogg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I want to know how these conspiracy theorists explain the lack of children coming forward to say that the people on TV aren't their classmates...
But for those who DO buy into the crisis actor myth, there are easy answers: The actors were undercover as students for some time. Or the whole school is fake. Or a significant number of students and media were paid off to maintain the sham (or are true believers anyway). That's the beauty of conspiracy theories: the bigger the better.
Old 30 March 2018, 12:39 PM

"Constitution-shredding Gonzalez" is not a stereotype, it's a deliberate falsehood.
Old 30 March 2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
"Constitution-shredding Gonzalez" is not a stereotype, it's a deliberate falsehood.
What I meant was the stereotype of the activist student as someone who wants to destroy whatever the speaker believes is great about America - or indeed any extreme stereotype some conservatives propagate about liberals. I just used these characterizations of these particular students as examples.

"Constitution-shredding Gonzalez" is a deliberately faked image, but I still would like to believe the originator of that image intended it as commentary, not to be accepted as something Gonzalez actually posed for. That's my point. There can't be meaningful dialogue or progress if we constantly posit everyone we disagree with as an idiot who spreads hate and lies about what we believe.

I'm reminded of a story I heard about peace talks in Northern Ireland some years back. The animosity between the sides at that point was so strong that one participant was insulted when an opponent politely held the men's room door open for him: "He thinks he's better than me." As much as we may disagree with a group of people, demonizing them does nothing to make the situation better.
Old 30 March 2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
There can't be meaningful dialogue or progress if we constantly posit everyone we disagree with as an idiot who spreads hate and lies about what we believe.
I agree, but the fact is that some people DO spread hate and lies. I won't pretend otherwise.
Old 30 March 2018, 02:00 PM

I certainly agree with you there!
Old 30 March 2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I'm pro-gun, I don't support more restrictions on guns, I believe we need them for self-defense and to guard against tyranny, etc., and that banning them won't make us safer. However, I am proud of my kid for marching and speaking out for something s/he sincerely believes in."

My sentiments exactly!

I wish the Alt-Right would crawl back under their rocks!
Old 31 March 2018, 12:28 PM

Default Laura Ingraham announces vacation amid advertiser boycott

Fox News' Laura Ingraham announced Friday she would be taking a vacation the next week to celebrate Easter with her family as advertisers have dropped her show after she criticized a Parkland school shooting survivor. Her supporters have launched the hashtag #IStandWithLaura.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/laura-i...laura-hashtag/
Old 31 March 2018, 10:16 PM

Not lurking, just away. Also had login problems. But mostly just away.
Old 31 March 2018, 10:20 PM

Lanie, it's not a falsehood, it's a blatant lie, purposely fabricated by a right wing loony.
Old 01 April 2018, 01:28 PM

And let's not forget the slander of Emma Gonzalez.
Old 02 April 2018, 01:26 PM

Soapbox

Apparently Ted Nugent has chimed in.

Old 02 April 2018, 02:14 PM

Without reading the article, I'm going to guess that it is not a reasoned, well thought-out argument that was crafted after carefully thinking over the actual statements of the protesters.

*reads article*

I was right.
Old 02 April 2018, 03:03 PM

So did an 'Eagles of Death Metal' band member (they of the 2015 Paris theater attack)--although he later apologized.

~Psihala