snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 26 December 2016, 06:19 PM

Default Drexel professor draws ire after posting 'White Genocide' tweet on Christmas

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/12/26...christmas.html

Quote:
A professor from Drexel University in Philadelphia is likely in hot water after professing on twitter that all he wanted for Christmas was “white genocide.”

The school was forced to issue a statement on Christmas day after George Ciccariello-Maher, an associate professor of politics and global studies, tweeted on his account, “all I want for Christmas is white genocide,” according to blog Inside Higher Ed.
And of course he's white himself.

Generally wishing genocide on whole populations in a public venue is unwise. Particularly so when one happens to be part of the group one declared untermensch in need of extermination.
Old 26 December 2016, 06:34 PM

White genocide isn't a real thing. It's an imaginary panic created by white supremacists to justify oppressing non-white people.
Old 26 December 2016, 06:40 PM

Which makes it okay to wish for it?

If I were a professor and released a statement praising enslaving blacks would you say a-okay? After all the re-institutionalization of slavery in America isn't going to happen either. But if I wished for it I'd still be a horrible person.

How are his white students supposed to feel when their professor says he thinks they should be killed for their skin color?
Old 26 December 2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
White genocide isn't a real thing. It's an imaginary panic created by white supremacists to justify oppressing non-white people.
What does that have to do with someone wishing it would happen?
Old 26 December 2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coughdrops View Post
How are his white students supposed to feel when their professor says he thinks they should be killed for their skin color?
Some people* would say that they should stop being such whiny special snowflakes, or they'll never make it in the real world.

*Not me
Old 26 December 2016, 08:04 PM

What? Who calls people special snowflakes when the object to a call for genocide?
Old 26 December 2016, 08:17 PM

Hello Kitty

I don't know. Who would call feminists special snowflakes when they're calling out rape and death threats on the internet that have forced them out of their homes?
Old 26 December 2016, 08:42 PM

I would take that as a joke meant to mock white supremacists. In no way would I take it remotely seriously.
Old 26 December 2016, 09:35 PM

If he hadn't followed up his initial tweet with "To clarify: when the whites were massacre during the Haitian revolution, that was a good thing indeed," I'd be more inclined to see the satire he claimed was there in the initial tweet. As it is he just sounds like an immature jerk who tweets whatever comes into his head -- not unlike the president elect.
Old 26 December 2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
What does that have to do with someone wishing it would happen?
Means I figured he was trolling, though given your above post he might be serious. But I'm still not going to take him seriously.
Old 26 December 2016, 11:39 PM

Not that it's nearly as stupid but, CD, I've heard you call for certain groups to be sent to Gitmo, etc. Not in the same ballpark but I think it's the same sort of animal: Saying something extreme to draw attention to the fact that one thinks an idea is wrong.

This is the kind of rhetorical tactic Trump has used all along and still uses. Of course (like everything else) when someone else does it it's bad, so bad, terrible... Actually, it's always bad but especially bad when done by someone in a position of power or representation.
Old 27 December 2016, 12:51 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
I don't know. Who would call feminists special snowflakes when they're calling out rape and death threats on the internet that have forced them out of their homes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
I would take that as a joke meant to mock white supremacists. In no way would I take it remotely seriously.
Yeah, I'm with everyone here. The professor's tweet was idiotic as heck, but the outrage over it, feels kind of quaint, given that in all likelihood, he has little, if any, power in the political landscape. Especially since whenever we point out our totally legitimate concerns over the long, documented list of the things Trump has said, CD still thinks we're overreacting, even though Donald Trump will be in a position of power and be able to legislate his prejudices, unlike this guy who will probably be fired.

Because I'm sure having one teacher make an idiotic tweet about white people, is totally equivalent to what nearly every other race went through. Let's look at this side by side.

Other Ethnic Groups: long history of brutalization, being murdered for little if any reason, facing entrenched, legally enforced racism that made it so that they couldn't rise above the bottom rung of society and once they were on the bottom rung of society, laws were passed to punish them for being on the bottom rung of society. It took well into the 20th century for many to gain the basic rights due to them as citizens.

White People: Well, sometimes people say mean things about us, which is totally equivalent to all of the above.
Old 27 December 2016, 01:20 AM

Just for the record, I didn't mean to single you out CD. I just thought it would be easier to understand in a personal context. I'm sure I've done it from time to time as well and I don't think it's all that uncommon in rhetoric. It goes at least back to Swift's A Modest Proposal.

I do think people in positions of authority and power should be careful about it. Also, c'mon, it's Twitter. The chances of it being interpreted correctly most of the time are zip, zilch, and nada.
Old 27 December 2016, 01:41 AM

To my way of thinking, when one thinks calling for genocide is okay, they're throwing their hat in with the likes of Donald Trump.

Genocide isn't wrong depending on race, religion, creed, or who agrees with me, it's always wrong. Donald Trump, Adolf Hitler, Pol Pot, among others, they all disagree with me on this point.
Old 27 December 2016, 01:53 AM

I'd be curious to know who the professor thought he was satirizing. Was he satirizing white supremacists and their fellow travelers? Anti-white groups? The "PC movement"? The Christmas song White Christmas? America's Euro-centric cultural imperialism? University professors who have lost touch with America?

He was supposedly satirizing white supremacists and is actually totally not in favor of genocide.

Quote:
"On Christmas Eve, I sent a satirical tweet about an imaginary concept, 'white genocide,'" he said in an e-mail. 'For those who haven't bothered to do their research, 'white genocide' is an idea invented by white supremacists and used to denounce everything from interracial relationships to multicultural policies (and most recently, against a tweet by State Farm Insurance). It is a figment of the racist imagination, it should be mocked, and I'm glad to have mocked it."
For the record I believe him (that he meant to satirize white supremacists) but I suspect Fox News is more interested in this piece as a satire of university professors who have lost touch with America.

Last edited by ASL; 27 December 2016 at 02:15 AM.
Old 27 December 2016, 02:28 AM

It was bound to go badly as a tweet. And in case any of that was directed at me, Beachlife, me not taking it seriously isn't the same as thinking it was fine and dandy.

We're on a powder keg right now. The bears need poking, but judiciously.
Old 27 December 2016, 02:54 AM

FYI - When the neo-nazis (aka the "alt-right") talk about "White Genocide", what they are referring to is inter-racial procreation.
Old 27 December 2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Means I figured he was trolling, though given your above post he might be serious. But I'm still not going to take him seriously.
I don't think he was serious but I think his comments are almost on the same level as those who engage in spreading fake news then sit back hold up their hands and claim the negative fall out couldn't possibly be their fault. He's theoretically a smart man, smart enough, as Avril points out, to know when not to poke the bears.
Old 27 December 2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coughdrops View Post
are his white students supposed to feel when their professor says he thinks they should be killed for their skin color?
As Simply Madeline pointed out, "White Genocide" is a specific term used by White Supremacists/Nationalists/whatever-euphemism-they-want-to-use to refer to the future disappearance of Whites through inter-racial breeding. White genocide does not refer to actual murder, is not a term used by anyone but White racists, and is a cry for "racial purity."

The professor's main problem was that most people (especially most White people) aren't familiar with the term because most White people do not think about racism and are not concerned about inter-racial relationships.
Old 27 December 2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Some people* would say that they should stop being such whiny special snowflakes, or they'll never make it in the real world.

*Not me
Thank you for helping me win the mental bet I made before even opening this thread that there would be a personal attack against CD within 5 posts. I'm disappointed it was from you, however.