snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 29 November 2016, 01:45 AM

D'oh! Bewildered by a bizarre trend in American society: Pro-Trump rants

This isn't one story. This is many stories of people suddenly yelling abuse at people and proclaiming their support for Donald Trump...for no apparent reason.

First, there was a guy who went on a crazy rant at Starbucks for reasons nobody could discern.

Foul-mouthed Starbucks Customer Caught Yelling at Employee

Quote:
Cárdenas claims the man called the employee, who appears to be African-American, “trash” before he began filming the altercation.

In the clip, the man shouts, "I voted for Trump! Trump! You lost, now give me my money back.”
Then, there was the guy on a Delta flight who stood in the aisle and yelled about his support for Trump.

Delta Bans "Loud, Rude and Disrespectful" Trump Supporter for Life

Quote:
In the 44-second clip, which was captured on a Nov. 22 flight from Atlanta to Allentown, Pa., the unidentified man could be seen standing in an aisle while praising Trump and saying: "We got some Hillary b-tch-s on here?"
And now I see a woman come unhinged in a Michael's craft store claiming discrimination because someone asked her if she wanted to buy a reusable bag. Again, she loudly proclaims her support for Trump.

Self-Proclaimed Donald Trump Voter Goes on Bizarre Rant in Art Store

Quote:
According to customer Jessica Grady, who recorded the woman seen in the now-viral video, the proud Trump voter claimed two African-American employees at a Michaels store discriminated against her after they tried to get her to purchase a reusable bag instead of giving her a free paper bag. Early into the video, the unidentified white woman can be heard saying, “and I voted for Trump, so what? You want to kick me out because of that? And guess who won? And guess who won?”
Is this what we have to look forward to now? Everywhere we go, businesses besieged by nuts who will randomly start yelling? Has the entire world turned into a YouTube comment section?

And if so, what should we be doing to address it?
Old 29 November 2016, 01:48 AM

It makes sense to me. You now have a reality show host as your president. Your whole country is in for at least 4 years of life being one long reality program .
Old 29 November 2016, 02:53 AM

It's sad how none of them look all that old. The video quality isn't great, but the last one might be middle aged, the other two probably younger.

When reading irrational non-sequitors on news comment sections, it's very easy to imagine older people with lots of time to listen to talk radio or Fox News, gradually slipping into cognitive decline. Statistically, people under 30 went pretty strongly for Clinton in almost every state, and senior citizens went strongly for Trump in all but a few states.

Yet, some of the loudest, craziest people seem to be younger, and we'll be stuck with them for life.
Old 29 November 2016, 03:40 AM

I said to Mum about a week or so ago when I first heard news reports of this type of behaviour, that I thought his victory means people in the past that just may have thought these things now feel that they can say them out loud.
Old 29 November 2016, 03:56 AM

It's funny which articles foxnews.com decides to allow comments on.

This story, about a pro-Trump idiot, no comments.

If you follow a link the article there is a story about Starbucks raising prices earlier this year, which they do allow comments on, with such gems as:

"They have to help fund a lot of abortions."

"Who cares? Only liberals go there anyway!"

"Don't forget paying for obama care...lol. BTW if you sell your house 3.8% goes right off the top for it...They had to pass it to find that gem...."

"Dems need more tax $ so they will slap a 25 cent tax per oz. on coffee to pay for queen Hellary's new palace; the WH is not good enough for her. May God help America."

"The Liberal agenda of pushing up the minimum wage to unreasonable levels is the direct cause of this. This is only the beginning. Stupid Liberals."

I could easily imagine any one of a dozen commenters on some random Starbucks article being the one melting down about Trump in a Starbucks.
Old 29 November 2016, 11:56 AM

D'oh!

There is much irony in many of those statements.

Starbucks doesn't pay minimum wage, and has offered full benefits to even part time workers from day one, Obamacare having nothing whatsoever to do with it. It was THE PLACE to get work when I was in school, and becoming a barista was cause for celebration. But leave it to people to be outraged about what a private company offers its employees without legal pressure.

The White House is apparently not good enough for the Trumps, as DJT kept asking if he really had to move out of his beloved gilded apartment in New York.

Conservatives seem to think buying the coffee but trolling the baristas is some sort of major political statement. Tell them your name is Merry Christmas! Tell them your name is Donald Trump!

Sigh. You're right. I can picture any one of those people going full meltdown in Starbucks, yelling "TRUMP!" on an airplane, or flipping out in a craft store.
Old 29 November 2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Then, there was the guy on a Delta flight who stood in the aisle and yelled about his support for Trump.

Delta Bans "Loud, Rude and Disrespectful" Trump Supporter for Life
As a non-voter (still a Canuck), that man would have hit a stone wall for disturbing my peace (and for gloating). "Wrong place wrong time, buddy".

OY
Old 29 November 2016, 01:44 PM

Adding one: http://chicagoist.com/2016/11/20/man...edly_disru.php

Quote:
John Palmer, 56, of the 100 block of E Illinois St., was charged with one misdemeanor count of criminal trespass to land, Officer Kevin Quaid, a police spokesperson told Chicagoist. Palmer was asked to leave by theatre workers for causing a disturbance, but had to be detained by security when he refused to go, Quaid said.
Witnesses told Pajaba that a seemingly drunk Palmer spilled wine on a kid seated behind him, but he really flew off the handle when after the famous “Immigrants. We get the job done” line was delivered on stage.
“He started raising his voice and throwing up middle fingers at anyone who looked at him, including me and my best friend,” Ken Keacher told Pajaba.
“He was saying things like, ‘We won. Trump is president. Get over it’,” witness Kate Hoyt told the blog. “At some point (Keacher) leaned into the aisle to try and tell him to leave and the guy then put up both his fists and said ‘Let’s go Democrats. I’ll kill you all.’”
Old 29 November 2016, 02:33 PM

How incredibly small-minded and insecure g-you must be to throw a temper tantrum because g-your side won.
Old 29 November 2016, 03:51 PM

"Winning isn't everything, you also have to gloat."
Old 29 November 2016, 03:54 PM

I am now reading a book by philosopher Aaron James (A**holes: A theory), and the behavior described in this thread seems to meet his definition of the term quite well (a sense of entitlement combined with a refusal to see others as morally equivalent beings).

I began reading it because I feared that the election results would embolden the a**holes of society and I should make an effort to better understand why they act the way they do in hopes of figuring out how to deal with them. So far, my fears seem to be coming true.

Incidentally, the book was written in 2012 but James was prescient in using Donnie as an example of the prototypical a**hole.
Old 29 November 2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalus Prime View Post
I am now reading a book by philosopher Aaron James (A**holes: A theory), and the behavior described in this thread seems to meet his definition of the term quite well (a sense of entitlement combined with a refusal to see others as morally equivalent beings).

I began reading it because I feared that the election results would embolden the a**holes of society and I should make an effort to better understand why they act the way they do in hopes of figuring out how to deal with them. So far, my fears seem to be coming true.

Incidentally, the book was written in 2012 but James was prescient in using Donnie as an example of the prototypical a**hole.
I felt the need to comment on what a smart idea this was. That, and I love your screen name.
Old 29 November 2016, 04:49 PM

My question is: Have you figured out how to deal with them?

Current method: Post stuff about it online after taking cell phone video. Push companies to take action and/or set up random GoFundMe pages to solicit donations for rewarding people for enduring Trump rants. Obvious drawback of the GoFundMe business is that it could spur staged situations in order to collect money, though that would be hard to do if people recognize you.

I don't feel like the current method is quite enough somehow.
Old 29 November 2016, 05:57 PM

So, the woman from the Michael's video clearly has a (non-Trump-related) history of doing this type of thing:

http://chicagoist.com/2016/11/28/vid...taff_at_mi.php

Quote:
In a 1:48-minute video clip, tipped to Chicagoist by a reader, a woman who appears to be the same person who delivered the now-infamous rant last week in Lakeview is seen shouting at two employees at a Chicago coffee shop. The video was filmed a Peet’s Coffee in July, according to the YouTube description, most likely the Boystown location.
She's been doxxed all over local websites / social media, apparently outed by former co-workers, who indicate that this behavior is quite typical.
Old 29 November 2016, 06:04 PM

She seems troubled.
Old 29 November 2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
My question is: Have you figured out how to deal with them?
That's the chapter I'm reading now, but the author hinted at the beginning that there isn't a productive way to deal with individual a**holes. Calling out an a**hole doesn't alter their behavior because they lack a sense of shame about their behavior. If a person cuts in line and is called out on it, a normal person would usually respond "Sorry", and go to the back of the line. An a**hole responds "Don't you know who I am?".

Acquiescing gives them what they want (getting to the front of the line). Resistance gives them something else that they want (recognition as a special individual). So the only solution appears to be to do neither (completely ignore them?).

It's all rather depressing.
Old 29 November 2016, 07:44 PM

After the election, I kept waiting for moderate, reasonable Trump voters (there had to be some, right?) to show some empathy and to tell the people who were scared about losing their rights that it wouldn't be so bad. That they didn't actually hate the people Trump promised to hurt, and that in the end everyone would be better off. Not that I'd believe any of it, but that would be my first reaction if the other side was terrified by my guy - to try to understand their fear and reason with them.

I saw no empathy from any of the Trump supporters I came across. In fact, any sort of empathy or kindness or compassion seems to be seen as a weaknesses. It really seems that winning the election wasn't about a misguided attempt to make things better, it was about hurting people they felt were responsible for hurting them.

I've actually been battling some depression while trying to wrap my head around the behaviour and mindset of Trump supporters. It's hard to try to be a positive force in the world when hate, anger and petty revenge are so much more attractive to so many people. I'm genuinely scared that the US will never lift themselves out of this, and that they'll drag the rest of the world down with them. How can we stand up to the hate without getting beaten down? I really don't want to fall into the trap of looking at the other side as less than human, but it's hard when the values coming out of that's side are so toxic and... alien.
Old 29 November 2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
That guy appears to have been set off by a pro immigrant statement. It seems like Trump supporters don't want to hear any dissenting opinions, and that they think the presidential election effectively amounted to a referendum on immigration, Black Lives Matter, feminism, etc. They think the election of Trump means those issues are now somehow officially over and decided, and people who support those causes should just shut up because they "lost".
Old 29 November 2016, 08:08 PM

Trump Supporters Are Suddenly So Concerned With Civility
Old 30 November 2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
After the election, I kept waiting for moderate, reasonable Trump voters (there had to be some, right?) to show some empathy and to tell the people who were scared about losing their rights that it wouldn't be so bad. That they didn't actually hate the people Trump promised to hurt, and that in the end everyone would be better off. Not that I'd believe any of it, but that would be my first reaction if the other side was terrified by my guy - to try to understand their fear and reason with them.
I have actually seen a lot of this (meaning empathy and attempts to reach out/comfort) on another forum I frequent. (It's a hobby forum, so politics only leak in occasionally. The election actually brought a lot of old posters back out of the woodwork). People IRL and on other forms of social media, not so much. I don't know why the distribution worked out like that. There was one frothing mad Pro-Trump guy who whirled through on a tirade about how hard conservatives have had it the past 8 years and how being called a racist is worse than, you know, like actual acts of racism or physical violence, but other Trump people actually told that guy to chill out.