snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 27 October 2016, 12:55 AM

Default Political misinformation

How about a thread for all of the untrue B.S. put out regarding the upcoming election. I don't mean the things that are debatable, but the complete outright fabrications that various people are reporting as true.

Here's two that were linked to me by FB friends, who apparently think these are true:

Twenty Million Amish Pledge to Vote for Donald Trump. (Abc.news.co is a sketchy satire site, not affiliated with the actual ABC news)

Quote:
According to statistician Nate Silver of the website fivethirtyeight.com, there are no possible scenarios in which Hillary Clinton can win with Donald Trump carrying the Amish vote.

“The Amish have their highest numbers in perennial swing states like Pennsylvania, Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, and Iowa,” Silver noted. “They also have strong numbers in reliably Democratic states like Michigan, Illinois, and New York, meaning that Hillary will lose those states as well. There is also a sizeable community in Florida which, while not as large as it is in the Midwest, is still large enough to turn Florida for Trump. Over the next two weeks, you can expect Hillary to enter into a state of freefall in all of my predictive models.”
Matt Damon Switches To Trump | Calls Out Coward Barack Obama

Quote:
“And Trump is saying people will have to be vetted, we’ll have to have legal immigration. It’s all a scam,” he said.

“I mean, illegal immigration. When people come here and they get a lot of benefits that our own veterans don’t get. What’s up with that?”
Interesting that both articles have Colombian based web addresses (.co).

Both are flat out untrue, both are being repeated as true by at least some Trump supporters.
Old 27 October 2016, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
How about a thread for all of the untrue B.S. put out regarding the upcoming election.
I'm afraid this is going to be an awfully long thread.
Old 28 October 2016, 01:30 AM

Mouse

Like I keep saying, judging by what I see on Snopes's new articles pages, everyone, I repeat, everyone sucks at critical thinking, because so many articles are "Obvious Fake News Article Posted at Obvious Fake News Site is Obvious and Fake" or "Legitimate News Story Reported by Many Legitimate News Sites Is, in fact, Legitimate." From what I can tell, people read the headline of an article, close their eyes, and from there, make the conscious decision as to whether to believe. Once the decision has been made, what few critical facilities the person may have had, cease to exist.

That and people seem to believe that being skeptical means "I question everything" rather than, y'know, using their brains to sort and weigh out facts and evidence and make a conclusion from there.

The fact that Snopes and Barbara and everyone involved with that site haven't snapped and gone on a massive killing spree, speaks very well of them. Or at least, speaks very well of the kind of drugs they're using to maintain that state of Zen-like calm.

If you're wondering, in all these killing spree scenarios, I envision y'all doing battle in the nude. Not because I'm a pervert--I freely admit I am one, but that's beside the point--but because y'all are graduates of the Beowulf School of Combat and believe that if the monster fights without clothes, so should you. But to be fair, blood stains are a real pain to try to wash out, so I kind of understand.
Old 01 November 2016, 08:42 PM

BREAKING: Obama To Possibly SUSPEND Election

Once again, I have people connected to me who believe this.
Old 01 November 2016, 09:08 PM

This thread seems unnecessary. From the political adds I've been hearing it is clear that pretty much every statement is basically a lie. Both sides are doing it and the PACs are particularly bad.

I long for the days of nice straight forward political adds like superimposing a nuclear blast on a little girl with a flower.

A thread titled "Accurate Political Information in Ads" would be more useful, and a heck of a lot shorter.
Old 01 November 2016, 09:43 PM

Just in case you hadn't seen it, the little girl with the flower is all grown up, but still in political ads.
Old 06 November 2016, 01:19 AM

There is no such thing as the Denver Guardian, despite that Facebook post you saw

Quote:
This false story is one of thousands of fake news stories being circulated around Facebook by fly-by-night “hyperpartisan” sites this election cycle, according an investigation by Buzzfeed News.

A second investigation showed that many of the sites spreading the fake news have been created by teens in Macedonia looking to profit off of supporters (and detractors) of Donald Trump.

The teens tried to make pages for Bernie Sanders and other left-leaning politicians, but “people in America prefer to read news about Trump,” according to one Macedonian 16-year-old.

How Teens In The Balkans Are Duping Trump Supporters With Fake News

Hyperpartisan Facebook Pages Are Publishing False And Misleading Information At An Alarming Rate
Old 09 November 2016, 05:14 PM

Icon05

Hey, Here's something I keep seeing on lots of websites: Trump won!

Can you believe anyone expects us to believe that?
Old 25 November 2016, 03:33 AM

We Tracked Down A Fake-News Creator In The Suburbs. Here's What We Learned

Quote:
When did you notice that fake news does best with Trump supporters? Well this isn't just a Trump supporter problem. This is a right wing issue. Sarah Palin's famous blasting of the lame-stream media is kind of record and testament to the rise of these kinds of people. The post-fact era is what I would refer to it as. This isn't something that started with Trump. This is something that's been in the works for a while. His whole campaign was this thing of discrediting mainstream media sources, which is one of those dog whistles to his supporters. When we were coming up with headlines it's always kind of about the red meat. Trump really got into the red meat. He knew who his base was. He knew how to feed them a constant diet of this red meat. We've tried to do similar things to liberals. It just has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out.
Old 25 November 2016, 05:52 PM

And then this was going on:

http://www.businessinsider.com/reddi...donald-2016-11
Old 25 November 2016, 09:45 PM

And this;

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate..._election.html
Old 26 November 2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
[URL="http://www.cpr.org/news/npr-story/npr-finds-the-head-of-a-covert-fake-news-operation-in-the-suburbs"]We Tracked Down A Fake-News Creator In The Suburbs. Here's What We Learned

Quote:
We've tried to do similar things to liberals. It just has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out.

Truth has a liberal bias, and liberals have a bias toward the truth?

-- though admittedly I've run into a couple who don't seem to.
Old 26 November 2016, 07:15 PM

I think that mainstream liberalism in the US just seems to be slanted away from the "there really is a giant conspiracy and everyone really is out to get you" mindset that the Republican party has appeared to embrace.
Old 26 November 2016, 10:00 PM

True. That doesn't do much good when people really are out to get them.
Old 26 November 2016, 11:42 PM

Mouse

Well, Reality does have a well-known liberal bias.
Old 30 November 2016, 01:05 PM

I was out there other night and encountered a friend of a friend who kept bringing the discussion back to the US election but with a twist, he kept going on and on about how stupid Obama is, as in saying "too bad he doesn't have a brain in his head" . According to this charmer Obama being stupid is the reason Trump won. When pressed for evidence of Obama's lack of brains he kept saying "everyone knows". Not stupid in the "you'd have to be stupid to be a liberal/democrat" but in "it's amazing to me that he can tie is own shoelaces" stupid. So is this a conspiracy theory that I missed out on? I know Obama is a secret Muslim from Kenya and he wants to take away all your guns but I didn't realize it was a well known fact that he's stupid.
Old 30 November 2016, 01:09 PM

Icon07

It is a conspiracy called racism.
Old 30 November 2016, 04:17 PM

Sue,
Let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing.
Old 30 November 2016, 04:48 PM

Racism with a sprinkle of the kind of anti-intellectualism that assumes academic ability/success and "common sense" are mutually exclusive.
Old 01 December 2016, 02:45 AM

Interesting article on the lack of diversity in the democratic party:

KING: Democratic staffer exposes the soft bigotry of Senate Democrats

Quote:
After my piece on this problem was released Tuesday, I was contacted confidentially by a respected staffer of a prominent Democratic U.S. senator. What I learned was as problematic and disgusting as any conversation I’ve ever had about how our government, particularly the Democratic Party, operates behind the scenes with issues of diversity.