snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Weird News

Old 21 August 2016, 12:53 PM

Icon605 Server receives $500 tip after simple act of kindness

A server's simple act of compassion went a long way this week.

Kasey Simmons, who works at a Dallas-area Applebee's restaurant, was waiting in a grocery store checkout line last Monday when he noticed another patron an older woman looking dejected. So Simmons chatted with the woman. When she reached the register, he even paid for her groceries. "It was only $17, but it's not about the money. It's about showing someone you care," Simmons told a local ABC affiliate. But Simmons had no idea just how grateful the woman was. The next day, her daughter visited Simmons' workplace and left a $500 tip on a $0.37 bill.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/server-re...160445928.html
One question I have: what can you order at Applebee's that would get you a 35 cent charge (I assume the other 2 cents were sales tax, though it doesn't really matter). All I can think is that it was for a glass of water, though the few times I have eaten at Applebee's, water was free. Maybe there is a charge when that is all you ask for.
Old 21 August 2016, 01:10 PM

According to a post I saw on facebook, it was flavored water. However, I don't know where that information came from and I can't find an online menu with that on it.
Old 21 August 2016, 06:04 PM

One other option would be if they used a gift card and the thirty seven cents was what was left over after the card was used.
Old 22 August 2016, 02:40 AM

They would still have had to ring her up for something, though; the question is what could it have been?

My WAG is that the customer just wanted to give her the money, and the easiest way was for the server to charge her the smallest amount possible--perhaps something like a side of ranch dressing, which is something people often ask for as a dipping sauce and some restaurants will charge for--and have the customer pay by credit card, then tip whatever she wanted to give. We had a somewhat similar situation occur pretty frequently when I worked in restaurants: a person would come in with free meal coupons but then didn't have cash for a tip, so we'd ring them up for a cheap add-on item so they could pay for that and leave a tip on their credit card. It wasn't a perfect system, but it was better than us getting stiffed.
Old 22 August 2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
We had a somewhat similar situation occur pretty frequently when I worked in restaurants: a person would come in with free meal coupons but then didn't have cash for a tip, so we'd ring them up for a cheap add-on item so they could pay for that and leave a tip on their credit card. It wasn't a perfect system, but it was better than us getting stiffed.
It all sounds great, but the owner of the restaurant gets to pay for the credit card fees. Probably a small price to pay for positive publicity.

OY
Old 22 August 2016, 01:07 PM

Like she said, not a perfect solution. Personally, I'd rather ding the owner (who presumably issued the free meal coupon) the incremental cost of one more charge, rather than stiff the waitstaff.

ETA: Once you've "eaten" the cost of the meal, the cost of one additional charge can't be significant. Especially considering that the customer might have charged a meal if they didn't have that coupon.
Old 22 August 2016, 06:19 PM

If the meal was $20 and they put a $5 tip on the card, the restaurant would be paying maybe 15 cents to the credit card company.
Old 22 August 2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
If the meal was $20 and they put a $5 tip on the card, the restaurant would be paying maybe 15 cents to the credit card company.
That's a $500 tip, that works out to $10 assuming a very low 2% service fee.

OY
Old 22 August 2016, 08:48 PM

I guess the restaurant could talk to the server about it. If it were me, I wouldn't mind covering the $10/$15 fee for a $500 tip. Or they could tell the customer that they needed to pay $510 to cover the fee.

Seeing as it's a one-off situation, I think I would eat the $10 if I were running the restaurant.
Old 23 August 2016, 03:55 PM

A while back there were a slew of "jerk didn't leave a tip for jerkish reason" articles going around and I commented it seemed like happy stories of that nature never made it into the news. I'm actually really happy to see a positive tip story for once! I agree that even if the restaurant owner had to lose a few bucks in the deal that it's unfortunate, but I'm sure they're getting way more than $15 worth of (very positive) advertising out of the deal.
Old 23 August 2016, 04:01 PM

At least on the Federal level, restaurants can deduct credit card fees from a server's tip if the tip is put on a credit card.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/opinion/FLSA...13_01_FLSA.htm