snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > NFBSK

Old 14 May 2009, 04:42 AM

Icon106 Obscenity in McDonalds Happy Meal CD?

Parents steamed over Happy Meal CD lyric
Quote:
Indianapolis - Open up a McDonald's Happy Meal and inside you'll likely find a CD called "Kidz Bop." It's a collection of six songs, sung by kids, for kids.

But some parents haven't been too "happy" with their latest kid's meal gift. Parents in Alabama were the first to complain about a phrase in the first song by Gavin DeGraw called "I Don't Want to Be."

We picked up our own copy to see what all the fuss was about and played the song for some local parents and asked them what they heard.
Before you read the story, here's a link to the song:
Here.

Plus, the news story also says:

Quote:
McDonald's released a statement saying the claim was inaccurate and the lyrics contained no profanity...McDonalds says the phrase is, "I'm tired of lookin' round rooms." But some parents still disagree.
So what do you think? All the "I Don't Wanna Be" lyrics sites say it's "lookin'" too.
Old 14 May 2009, 04:53 AM

Sounds like lookin' to me. Anyway, even if it were "f*ckin' around" the concept of Kidz bops offends me more than bad language.
Old 14 May 2009, 11:47 AM

Icon106

Sounds like "tired of lookin' round" to me.

ETA: I can't stand Kidz Bop either. BLEH!
Old 14 May 2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Sounds like lookin' to me. Anyway, even if it were "f*ckin' around" the concept of Kidz bops offends me more than bad language.

this! We almost never get fast food and have ended up at McD a couple of times over the past few weeks... and my kids don't even WANT the happy meal b/c it's not a toy. And I was happy to not get them a KidzBop cd
Old 14 May 2009, 12:18 PM

I saw a notice in a newspaper the other day about some outraged parent in Norway (I think) who didn't like the her child had got a condom with her happy meal.
Old 14 May 2009, 12:46 PM

Sarcasm that may be offensive! Warning!:

I played the clip, and couldn't understand anything. Could have been "eff eff the n-word b!tch in her c-word," and I would have heard "Lalaaa, na-na, da da da laaaa hmmmmm...."
Old 14 May 2009, 01:11 PM

Not only does it sound like "lookin'", it sounds enough like "lookin'" that I honestly don't see how it could possibly be confused for any other word, profane or not.

Some people have too much time on their hands and not enough to bitch about, apparently.
Old 14 May 2009, 01:31 PM

Never heard the song, but first (and second, and third) playthrough I didn't hear "lookin'". Not sure what I hear, but I can understand the parents getting upset. I think I would side with them on this one. Does sound like "the other word" to me. And no, I wasn't expecting to hear anything else other than "lookin'". I tried, really, to hear "lookin'". Failure....
Old 14 May 2009, 01:33 PM

Ah, the power of suggestion.

Of all the time I've heard that song on the radio (a LOT), I never once thought it was anything other than "lookin".

Quote:
McDonalds says its up to parents if they want to let their kids listen to the CD. The company says it'll continue to hand out Kidz Bop in their Happy Meals while supplies last.
You go, Ronald!
Old 14 May 2009, 01:57 PM
Ameridebi

In the Gavin DeGraw version, it clearly sounds like "lookin round rooms," but the Kidz Bop singers slur so badly, it's no wonder parents can't understand what they're saying.
Old 14 May 2009, 02:08 PM

I thought near the beginning there was an unclear bit that sounded like "I just ****ing well..." something, but I'm not sure if it's the same part of the clip I was meant to be listening to - it goes on for quite a long time after that. (I listened again, and it is.)

Now that I know what it "really" says, I can hear that too, but I did hear the sweary version first. With more context before that, and clearer sound, I expect it would be more obvious what they're actually singing though. Complaining about it seems absurd either way...
Old 14 May 2009, 02:35 PM

I didn't hear anything explicit. I heard lookin.

Although I missed it the first time, I didn't hear it, had to replay it.

I think someone just pulled a Excuse me while I kiss this guy, and just misheard the lyrics.
Old 14 May 2009, 07:47 PM

Maybe I've been listening to too much Angry Video Game Nerd, but it did sound like the f-word to my ears. Not that I think that's what they're actually saying - I think it's just the blending of the "F" sound in "of" with the word "lookin'".
Old 14 May 2009, 11:30 PM

Parents: Get over it. You can't protect your kids from everything. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Stop looking for a phallus or bad word around every damn corner.
Old 15 May 2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I probably agree with you about Kidz Bop, but can I ask what your objection to it is?
Old 15 May 2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigone201 View Post
I probably agree with you about Kidz Bop, but can I ask what your objection to it is?
It's just horrible sounding music. They often take perfectly fine songs, have little kids sing them and then transform them into bland, cloying productions. If I had kids, I'd just play them the music itself. I remember liking the regular versions of songs (oldies songs in my case) that played on the car radio as a child. I don't need to hear the castrati version of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" or "Satisfaction."
Old 15 May 2009, 01:19 AM

Icon204

I don't hear anything wrong, even when looking for the supposed lyric. And I have a history of mondogreenism.

I'm not too fond of kids bop either, decent songs mangled in the name of cute, but this seems like a decent song for kids - one about being yourself despite the pressure to conform. Wouldn't it be better to complain about one with possible innuendo in it, such as first time or something.
Old 15 May 2009, 03:14 PM

I listened to the song before reading the story and I have to say it sounds like, "tired of f#cking around.." to me. I don't think it actually says that, it's just poor quality audio.
Old 15 May 2009, 03:48 PM

Shifty Eyes

I can't trust those looking bastards, so I've checked for subliminal messages.

Backwards, it sounds eerily like; "Fill me up with McShit, and make sure I get a plastic toy."

Last edited by SatansHobbit; 15 May 2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 15 May 2009, 05:01 PM

DD had a toy computer thing that helped teach kids the alphabet and spelling of simple words. One of the words was FOX and the audio was so terrible on it that I would snicker everytime the computer said fox because it sounded like firetruck without the iretr. DD was oblivious. I didn't take it back to the manufacturer as being obscene, though. I might have gotten my 15 minutes of fame that way!