snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 18 February 2019, 06:43 PM

Glasses

As nice as it was to be able to ride a single bus from my house to my sister's, it shouldn't take 45 minutes to travel between houses 2.5 miles apart. This is yet another example of Metro's inability to design routes that actually travel from the east to the west without also going north-south. ETA: btw, I get on a 67 route bus, and get off a 65 route (or vice versa, when I'm going home) despite sitting in the same seat for the entire trip.

Seaboe
Old 18 February 2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
LTTAM: The terms doggo, puppers, and floof.

Those have surpassed my loathing of the term "furbabies".
And another one: pibble.
Old 19 February 2019, 02:06 AM

That's definitely the worst of the bunch. It sounds like something an untrained puppy might do on your rug.
Old 19 February 2019, 01:18 PM

Icon86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
And another one: pibble.

Pibble?!

Who comes up with these names?
Old 19 February 2019, 01:34 PM

Possibly the same people who think that the substance which can perfectly reasonably be referred to as shit, feces, dung or manure should be called, in serious news reports, "poop"; as if we were all in kindergarten.
Old 19 February 2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Who comes up with these names?
Rich Hall?
Old 19 February 2019, 10:56 PM

There's a Ruffles ad playing every commercial break on Spotify that features the sound of people eating chips. ::shudder:: Guess it's back to my iTunes playlists.
Old 20 February 2019, 11:55 AM

In the same vein as crunching chips, I loathe the Betadine commercials, each featuring someone gargling for an extended time. Ew.
Old 20 February 2019, 12:59 PM

The landscapers are at it again. They're never come on a Wednesday before (Wednesday is my day off) so I was jolted out of bed at 8:30 AM by the sound of electric trimmers that I've come to associate with destruction of my garden. There's hardly anything left from last time and yet it's like they're told to decimate all foliage over 3 feet tall. By the time I got my robe on and ran out there, it was too late to save some of my bushes from being whacked. At least I managed to save my new begonia cuttings I just planted. This is one of the things I absolutely hate about a townhouse/condo HOA neighborhood. Most of the people who live here are retired, seasonal, or short-term renters, so they probably see it as a benefit to have the landscaping included. But I love doing my own landscaping, and I want privacy at least around my back patio if I can't have it in front of the house.
Old 20 February 2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
There's a Ruffles ad playing every commercial break on Spotify that features the sound of people eating chips. ::shudder:: Guess it's back to my iTunes playlists.
This reminds me, there's some beer ad playing now that's trying to tap into some kind of ASMR thing and I find it so uncomfortable and unpleasant. That and other chewing/eating sounds commercials put me right off, and I have a hard time understanding who would find it appealing.
Old 21 February 2019, 01:39 AM

Cervus, I think your non-landscapers are more than a little thing.

(they sound more like landscrapers than landscapers to me. Scrape everything off! leave nothing! take it, bit by bit, down to the bare rock!)
Old 25 February 2019, 03:10 PM

It annoys me that I ebay won't filter out audiobooks and kindle editions when I'm looking for a copy of a book.
Old 26 February 2019, 01:35 PM

I have the same issue with my public library website. In fact, it puts e-books first on the list, which is really annoying! Actually, I can filter them out, but it doesn't seem like I should have to do an advanced search just to find regular books.
Old 26 February 2019, 02:18 PM

Glasses

Perhaps they get more requests for e-books, so they put them first. At least you can filter them. It sounds like eBay doesn't have that feature.

LTTAM: Am I getting a cold, or not? Sunday and yesterday my face hurt, especially around my left eye socket. Last night it was feeling much better, and when I woke up this morning, I felt more or less fine. Now I'm at work, and my nose is suddenly running. What is going on? (All pain is mild, or I would go to the Dr. to make sure I don't have a sinus infection; last one I had was over 20 years ago, and it hurt so bad I couldn't sleep).

Seaboe
Old 02 March 2019, 12:14 AM

LTTAM: Political dirty tricks.

There's a special primary election coming up later this month to fill the state Senate seat for my district after it was vacated when the person who previously held that seat ran for and won a different political office in last year's midterms. Under California's primary system, for statewide offices there's a single primary with all the candidates on one ballot, regardless of party affiliation. The top two candidates in the primary move on to the general election, again regardless of party, so there could potentially be two Republicans or two Democrats running against each other in the general election. One of the two people on the ballot as Democrats in the primary is a man who had previously run for the seat as a Republican and just recently changed his party affiliation, reportedly posted some things on his website that sound more like a liberal strawman created by a conservative (particularly the part about supporting "late term abortions up to and including the 25th year."), and has now withdrawn from the race now that it's too late to remove his name from the ballot. It honestly seems to me like his only reason for running as a Democrat was to be a spoiler for the other Democrat running for the seat and insure that only Republicans make it to the general election.
Old 02 March 2019, 12:25 AM

LTTAM:

Ants
Old 02 March 2019, 01:21 AM

We had ants in the house last week, since someone dropped some bread on the floor. I tried to let the ants know that up here, it is still winter, and we had snow on the ground, but they didn't seem to pay much attention.
Old 02 March 2019, 02:13 AM

How popular is that candidate, WildaBeast?
Old 03 March 2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
How popular is that candidate, WildaBeast?
I honestly don't know. Being an off cycle special election with only one race on the ballot, there isn't exactly a lot of poll data or press coverage out there. I have to admit I didn't even realize we were having an election until I got my mail in ballot in the mail last week. I just found out about this candidate while attempting to research all the candidates. I'm guessing he's hoping a certain percentage Democratic leaning voters won't know anything about either of the candidates running as Democrats and will just pick one of the two at random, and thus he will siphon some votes away from the one "real" Democrat on the ballot. I hope most voters are smarter that than and will actually do some research.

This district covers a huge swath of the sparsely populated, conservative leaning, rural area in the northeast corner of California, plus the eastern suburbs of Sacramento. If he cal pull off what I suspect he's trying to do, there's a very real chance of having two Republicans in the general election.
Old 03 March 2019, 09:08 PM

Sounds pretty despicable.