snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 17 February 2019, 09:39 PM

Absolutely. Can't remember how far in the future the movie was supposed to be, but even if it was far enough ahead that the shapes of the constellations had changed to no longer be visible, the moon would still be visible and an amazingly obvious clue.
Old 18 February 2019, 01:41 AM

I have never seen Planet of the Apes* but I have always wondered about that also.

It took Homer even longer.

*except vague memories of a TV series back in the 70's
Old 18 February 2019, 10:30 PM

It may well be a natural plot hole as in the original story the Planet Of The Apes was not actually Earth. That device was only introduced in the first film version.
Old 18 February 2019, 10:53 PM

Could be willful denial. "Yeah, that moon looks like Earth's moon, but it's just a coincidence."

PS. Wouldn't the fact that the inhabitants of the planet spoke English be an even bigger clue?
Old 18 February 2019, 10:59 PM

I’d put that in the same category of trope as human aliens. Of course the aliens in a 1960s sci-fi film would speak English. Just like the Russian guy in Star Trek: English with a Russian accent, because that makes perfect sense. But since when has there been an established "the moon is only ever new" trope?
Old 18 February 2019, 11:00 PM

It was a 60s Sci Fi movie. Audiences probably weren't supposed to notice details like that.
Old 18 February 2019, 11:29 PM

While we’re on the subject, I’d also like to say I think they got the caste system all wrong. Setting aside the racist implications (I mean, they made the light skinned apes the leaders and the big black beasts the warlike thugs) I really think they got it wrong in making Chimps the peace-loving species.

Have you ever seen pictures of a chimpanzee mauling victim? I’d sooner be put in a cage with a pit bull than an ill-tempered chimpanzee. Law-giver help you if you’re a foreign primate passing through their territory. They’ll straight up tear your body to pieces and EAT YOU. I mean, shit, they actually practice cannibalism. Cannibalism! Gorillas may be big and intimidating, but at least they’re only herbivores.
Old 19 February 2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Absolutely. Can't remember how far in the future the movie was supposed to be, but even if it was far enough ahead that the shapes of the constellations had changed to no longer be visible, the moon would still be visible and an amazingly obvious clue.
The movie gives the date as November 25, 3978. Also itís implied to have been a nuclear war.
Old 19 February 2019, 01:23 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Could be willful denial. "Yeah, that moon looks like Earth's moon, but it's just a coincidence."
As vast as the universe is, itís probably not too far-fetched to believe that there might be a planet with a moon strikingly similar to our moon. As I recall, from my incredibly limited knowledge of astronomy, I donít think thereís anything super unique about our moonís composition/appearance. Any coincidences could be overlooked, due to the bizarre situation Charlton Harris has found himself in. With chimps and orangutans running everything, heís probably too weirded out to notice the craters on the moon.
Old 19 February 2019, 01:50 AM

Saw Glass today; went in pristine (having only seen Unbreakable and Split prior, and no trailers or reviews). Overall, enjoyed it; there were some aspects and elements that I wasn't thrilled with, but nothing I actually disliked. The twist was... interesting, but the final result was predictable. The friend I saw it with said something jokingly about "Unbreakable 4"; I countered with Disney opening up an "Unbreakable franchise" with movies every 18 months.
Old 19 February 2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
While weíre on the subject, Iíd also like to say I think they got the caste system all wrong. Setting aside the racist implications (I mean, they made the light skinned apes the leaders and the big black beasts the warlike thugs) I really think they got it wrong in making Chimps the peace-loving species.

Have you ever seen pictures of a chimpanzee mauling victim? Iíd sooner be put in a cage with a pit bull than an ill-tempered chimpanzee. Law-giver help you if youíre a foreign primate passing through their territory. Theyíll straight up tear your body to pieces and EAT YOU. I mean, shit, they actually practice cannibalism. Cannibalism! Gorillas may be big and intimidating, but at least theyíre only herbivores.
Yeah, but back in the 60s that wasn't really known. Jane Goodall had only just been researching chimpanzees for a few years when the movie was being filmed.

Also, bonobos.
Old 19 February 2019, 11:31 AM

Bobobos turn up in the reboot films and can be a little Tetchy... I think Koba is a Bonobo.

(Koba is one of my all time favourite film villians by the way)
Old 19 February 2019, 12:11 PM

Ponder

Perhaps by the time of the original Planet of the Apes, the common chimpanzees had already eaten all the bonobos?
Old 19 February 2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
As I recall, from my incredibly limited knowledge of astronomy, I donít think thereís anything super unique about our moonís composition/appearance.
I don't know about the moons of exoplanets, but our moon is massive compared to the size of our planet. Compared to its planet, our moon is 5 times as large as any other in the solar system.
Old 19 February 2019, 03:19 PM

Regardless, it has physical characteristics apart from size that would surely stand out.
Old 19 February 2019, 07:54 PM

How do we know it wasn’t changed in the ensuing two millennia though? Remember, the final shot of the movie is on a beach near a cliff.
Old 19 February 2019, 08:12 PM

Itís the moon. It doesnít have active volcanoes, it doesnít have wind and rain to cause erosion. Next to major, major human or other ape meddling (which would also surely not go unnoticed), there is nothing that would appreciably alter itís appearance over a couple thousand years. Unless of course it was bombarded by meteors again, in which case the Earth would also be pummeled and I doubt the apes would be alive to give us a story.
Old 19 February 2019, 08:51 PM

Major human meddling is certainly a possibility. The last remake of The Time Machine had the Moon being destroyed due to mining and had it spread out across the sky. Maybe something like that happened, changing the face enough that one wouldn't recognize it.

How long does Planet of the Apes actually take, anyway? Could it be as simple as the Moon was waning to new as they landed, and the actual time the movie takes was short enough that he never saw the moon? He did have some other things on his mind for a lot of the time.
Old 19 February 2019, 09:00 PM

The Moon is such a massive object that losing enough mass to be no longer recognizable in such a relatively short time (thousands of years) would have catastrophic consequences for Earth. Like "mammals, birds, and reptiles can no longer survive on most of the surface" consequences.
Old 19 February 2019, 09:27 PM

Yeah - too bad the Earth was pretty much the same as it was before, so there is no possibility that this is what happened.

But seriously, if humans were to strip mine the near side of the Moon for titanium for hundreds of years, it could change the face enough to make it look different. Not ridiculously different, but if you look in the sky and see a moon about the size of ours, and kind of similar but with a few different features, you could conclude that it was not the same. Satellite photos of areas on Earth prior to mountaintop removal mining look radically different than after - different colors, different shapes. If humans shaved off most of the mountain tops, and just dumped the worthless rock in the seas it might change the look just enough.