snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 15 February 2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
I think it goes back further than 20 years.
Yeah, it's definitely goes back further than 20 years.
Quote:
However, some Republican leaders have made a habit of referring to their opposition incorrectly and discourteously as the “Democrat Party.” The reason isn’t entirely clear; it may be meant to imply that the party isn’t sufficiently “democratic” in the general sense, or may just be meant as a petty insult. In August 2006, Hendrik Hertzberg traced this Republican usage, which he termed a “slur” on his party, back to the 1940s. He says it was used by opponents to needle the powerful Pendergast organization in Kansas City, which backed Harry Truman. He also says it was used often by the late Sen. Joseph McCarthy.
https://www.factcheck.org/2007/12/th...emocrat-party/
Old 16 February 2019, 01:29 AM

I stand corrected.
Old 16 February 2019, 08:14 PM

Flame

Not a little thing, but not worth a new thread...

My Uncle (Dad's brother) died in 1976 as a young man. My Grandparents bought a triple plot in the nearby cemetery and put up a nice headstone. I believe the headstone was in place in 1977.

In 1996, my Grandfather died at the age of 87. He was buried with my Uncle. The stone was shortly afterwards etched with his date of death.

In 2010, my Grandmother died at the age of 92, and she was buried with my Uncle and Grandfather. And the stone was completed within a month.

My Aunt (Dad's sister and sister to my Uncle buried) went this past week to visit the cemetery to pay her respects on an anniversary. As she rounded the graves, she was shocked. Whoever was buried in the next row, instead of buying their own headstone, simply etched the back of my family's headstone which has been there since the mid-1970s.

Unfortunately, according to what my Aunt is saying, there is no recourse they can take. The stone is permanently marked with another family's name and details. The cemetery is taking no responsibility for it.

I'm seriously annoyed, but am 2 provinces away. And, my Aunt is a strong and determined woman. She can sort this out. But it still annoys me to no end.
Old 17 February 2019, 01:34 AM

That is terrible, UEL, and I would say that yes, the cemetery totally CAN do something about it, as part of what you paid for is for the stones to be taken care of, or at least guarded.
Old 17 February 2019, 01:41 AM

I also say that is terrible.

I guess they are depending on you putting it in the too hard basket. So I am glad your Aunt is on to it.
Old 17 February 2019, 09:55 AM

Yes, how is that not theft, or vandalism, or something at least? I don't know how headstone arrangements work in cemeteries but I'd have expected you to own the stone, even if the plot was only leased for a length of time.

Even if the stone is only leased, surely the cemetery's terms can't include a provision for third parties to carve things on your own stone without even asking you? That would be ridiculous.
Old 17 February 2019, 11:28 AM

I got the electrician in yesterday to look at my failed water heaters (it's been a week or so since I noticed that they failed, but I've been away in hotels for part of that time, and can also shower at work, so I haven't been as much inconvenienced as I would have been otherwise).

The first thing that annoys me is my own confusion. I've lived here for six years, and for most of that time I've known which is the booster heater and which is the overnight economy 7 heater. I'd been using them properly for ages, but some time over the last couple of months I'd managed to switch them in my head and get them the wrong way round, so when the guy came in I pointed them out the wrong way round and he immediately corrected me, and I was surprised for a while (until I thought about it). But he asked how long I'd lived here and clearly found it funny that (as he thought) I'd lived here that long and not known which way round they were.

That wouldn't be particularly annoying except that the first thing he did was to check the booster heater - easier than the other one, because the circuit for the other one is not live during the day - and it was working. I was sure it had not been working before. I'd had it switched on, and it hadn't heated anything... it wasn't making "heating" noises when I'd switched it on, and it clearly wasn't heating the water. But in conjunction with having got the heaters the wrong way round, clearly the electrician thought I was just being a bit dim. I had been surprised by both of those things, especially by the heater working when he tried it, and said "I hope it wasn't just my getting them the wrong way round...". He said "Probably, mate, but that's OK..." and chuckled and set about finding loose wires and other things that might justify his callout fee.

Anyway, he eventually got round to checking the other heater, which also clearly hadn't been working, and (although the circuit was switched off on the electricity company's timer) he could test it with his multimeter and thought it had failed, because he was getting a reading that he shouldn't. He almost got to this as an afterthought, though.

Apparently they should be able to replace it on Wednesday (my request, as I'm away before that and will be working from home that day anyway) but he was a bit ambivalent as to whether I'd need to - he reckoned it was 50 / 50 whether it would work anyway, and also thought I might well be fine just using the booster. I said I would like it replaced if it wasn't working (which I knew would have to be a different day), but he went off seeming to think he had fixed the problem of my own stupidity, and so I have to ring again on Monday to confirm that it isn't working and actually make the appointment. I was supposed to have hot water through the booster heater.

So anyway, I left the booster on to heat the water during the day, and had the other one on to see if it worked overnight (although I was pretty sure it wouldn't because I am not actually stupid and had already tried both, which is why I originally reported that neither were working).

I tried to have a bath in the evening and the water wasn't hot enough - because the daytime booster heater had switched itself off and is not, in fact, working, as I'd said. It's apparently an intermittent fault, and as is the way of these things, had worked briefly just at the point the engineer came in to look at it. And the overnight heater isn't working at all, again as I'd said. (And, luckily, as the electrician himself had found when he decided to look at it after all, although he still didn't seem to think it mattered or had definitely failed).

So the only thing I was wrong about was a (recent) confusion about which way round the heaters were. Neither of the heaters are working, just as I'd said, and I still don't have hot water, and I still need to make another appointment to get them back in to fix it. At least I'll be able to tell them exactly what's wrong this time - which is the same thing I told them last time, except that I now know one of the faults is intermittent. (It never worked when I tried it).

The more I've thought about it though, the more the attitude of the electrician annoys me. He was perfectly friendly and so on, and kept saying it didn't matter and that he'd rather it was working and wasn't a difficult job and so on, but he clearly decided early on that I was an idiot - even when I said that I'd known which way round the heaters were for years, and must have only just muddled them up. So what did he think I'd been doing for all those years? And surely even if he did think I'd been using them wrongly, he would have realised that something must have changed for me to suddenly have no hot water? He seemed surprised when he discovered that one of the heaters actually wasn't working. And even then he didn't seem to quite believe that it wasn't working - how could he think there was a 50 / 50 chance that it would come on overnight, if he'd just tested it and found it wasn't working?

Bah.
Old 17 February 2019, 07:12 PM

It’s annoying to be caught between the rock and the hard place of having someone either try to avoid you spending money on fixing something that might not be broken or just ploughing ahead and replacing perfectly servicable equipment.

I had a similarly frustrating encounter with a professional who I went to to discuss the leaking seals in my car roof. i had a theory that a loose seal on the windscreen caused water to be forced up a drainhole and into my window seal on the roof. The chap disabused me of the idea “It won’t be that mate, there is nowhere for it to go”

He did acknowledge that water was coming in, somehow, amoungst the roof seals but then said before I “waste any money on it” to run hoses at the roof to diagnose how the water was getting in.

The diagnosis is precisely the reason I took the car in in the first place. I was stood there wondering what the hell I had to do?

“Hello my car is leaking. Can you, as a professional find out why and fix it?”

“no”

I’m willing to pay and everything!
Old 17 February 2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
It’s annoying to be caught between the rock and the hard place of having someone either try to avoid you spending money on fixing something that might not be broken or just ploughing ahead and replacing perfectly servicable equipment.
Yes, when it comes down to it I'm not really annoyed at the electrician. He seemed good. I'm annoyed with myself, for having (at some point in the last three months, I think) mentally switched the overnight heater with the booster, and I'm annoyed with the booster heater for suddenly deciding it was going to briefly work just at the point the electrician checked it, thus making me look stupid again for having said it wasn't working.

It annoys me to feel stupid, is the TLDR summary of both my posts above.
Old 17 February 2019, 09:27 PM

Yesterday, taking out the recycle, I bashed my finger on the recycle basket and split one of my nails cross-wise. It didn't come copoletely off, and when I tried to pull on it, it started to bleed, so I washed it and bandaged it the best I could. I figure I'll leave the bandaid on just to keep the nail there, I'd rather feel the nailo sometimes move than have the bare bed of the nailo exposed. The frustrating thing is I use this finger a ot, as you can see by my typing which either adds or omits the letter "o" seemingly at random and I also use this finger for the backspace key so fixing typos is even more frustrating than normal.

It is also on my dominant hand, and trying to avoid soaking the bandaid while doing dishes and such has proved difficult when using my other hand.

I also use this finger to scroll on the touchpad of my laptop, so I wind up futilely moving the cursor around a few seconds before I realize what's wrong
Old 17 February 2019, 09:31 PM

Get a finger bandage. https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wa...490318-product Probably not helpful when typing or scrolling but definitely good when washing dishes.
Old 17 February 2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I'm annoyed with the booster heater for suddenly deciding it was going to briefly work just at the point the electrician checked it, thus making me look stupid again for having said it wasn't working.
Tell him you're pretty sure it's got mechanic's syndrome: it only works when in the presence of the mechanic/repairperson.

I've run into quite a few car mechanics, electricians, etc. who seemed to recognize the term; though when I tried googling it just now all I could come up with was some medical conditions related to working with one's hands.

I've not only had cars and electrical stuff do it, I once had a cat do something very similar: cat came into the house with no visible wounds but staggering, barely able to stand up, wouldn't eat. We were afraid he'd been hit by a car or something and had internal injuries; I called the vet to come in after hours and drove the cat there, most of an hour one way from where I was living at the time. Cat came out of the carrier looking perfectly fine. Who, me, staggering? I'm not even limping!

Vet. said they'd seen similar things before, and seemed to believe me about how he'd been acting earlier in the evening -- said maybe he had had the wind knocked out of him by something, but wasn't actually much hurt and recovered while resting in the carrier. Still charged me for the visit, though, of course (which was quite reasonable, they still had to come out after hours.)
Old 17 February 2019, 11:45 PM

I had a car once, 1974 Buick Apollo, that I bought new. It had a vacuum leak in an actuator for the heating system. Since it was under warranty, I did not want to fix it myself. First time I took it in, I told the mechanic I hear a hissing from this area of the dash. Mechanic said he couldn't hear it. Second time I told the mechanic there is a vacuum leak in the actuator behind that panel. Mechanic could not find it. Third time I took the panel off, exposed the actuator and told the mechanic to watch as I operated the controls. The actuator did not move because of the vacuum leak. I told the mechanic to use his stethoscope to listen. This time, the actuator was replaced.
Old 17 February 2019, 11:45 PM

Icon24

I can believe that a cat might know when it's being assessed by people and put on an extra effort to behave normally, but not that an immersion heater can do so...

(So I suppose I have to conclude that, because immersion heaters and other inanimate machines frequently do do that, that it's all miraculous. I haven't the time, space or inclination to go into the theological implications of this at the moment. Oh well, good thing I'm an atheist.)
Old 17 February 2019, 11:46 PM

I went to see a PG-13 violent horror comedy (Happy Death Day 2), and there was a British family there with not 1, not 2, but 4 very young children. I think the oldest was around six, and the youngest was probably around 18 months, in a stroller and pre verbal. Old enough to make incoherent noises, but not old enough for their parents to be able to shush them. And they chose to sit in non-consecutive rows, with the stroller and one parent in the wheelchair row, and the rest a few rows back. So the kids would "whisper" between rows at nearly full volume, and the 4 year old would frequently stomp/run through the aisles to demand snacks and drinks. The kids would chatter nervously in tense scenes or after a jump scare, understandably.

Who takes such young kids to a horror movie? You expect disruptive kids when seeing a movie targeted at them, but that's the last thing you'd expect at a movie that their parents had no business bringing them to.
Old 18 February 2019, 01:30 AM

Every so often someone gets on my case about not wanting kids, insisting that you don't really have to give up anything. So, those people.
Old 18 February 2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Whoever was buried in the next row, instead of buying their own headstone, simply etched the back of my family's headstone which has been there since the mid-1970s.
That's truely terrible. I can't imagine why any stonemason would do the work. Etching the back of a headstone must be uncommon enough to properly check whether the person asking for it to be done has the rights to do so. Especially, if the names on the front don't match the one on the back.

Just three thoughts:

A stonemason or some other professional (whoever does the etching of gravestones) might have some kind of stone-paste in the right colour that can be used to fill in the etching on the back, making it invisible.

If that doesn't work, or for as long as your aunt is looking for a way to get rid of the etching, can you plant a laurel or some high-growing grasses or something similar behind the headstone, obscuring the etching on the back?

There must be a owner/leaseholder to the other plot. Can the cemetary give your aunt the names? That are the people I would direct all invoices to.
Old 18 February 2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Every so often someone gets on my case about not wanting kids, insisting that you don't really have to give up anything. So, those people.
Have any of those people ever had, seen, or even thought about kids? Cause yeah, as a long time parent, who was raised by parents, there are few things you DON'T give up.
Old 18 February 2019, 04:08 PM

LTTAM: The terms doggo, puppers, and floof.

Those have surpassed my loathing of the term "furbabies".
Old 18 February 2019, 04:12 PM

I don't mind "floof," mostly because the person I know who uses it the most is this incredibly sweet and dorky individual and it is just a fitting word for them to use. With you on the others, though.