snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 04 February 2019, 05:47 PM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
How often do you take more than one passenger? Do none of those passengers have appropriate vehicles? Do you have ZipCar or a similar service near you? Can you afford to rent a bigger car or pay for delivery when you need something big? I think a lot of child-free folks without equipment-intensive hobbies could get away with a 2-seater as their only car, especially if there's a bit of extra money in the bank just in case an unexpected need arises.
The only times I ever have more than one passenger is when I volunteer to drive when going to lunch with coworkers, and when my family comes to visit at Christmas. But in the former case someone else can usually drive (and having a 2-seater would give me a convenient excuse not to drive ), and my family only comes every three years (we rotate between my parents' place, my sister's place, and mine), and I could afford to rent a bigger car on those occasions. And I do have Amazon Prime, so with them selling pretty much anything you could want nowadays I figure most bulky items I could order from them or other sites offering free shipping. And someone said you can actually carry surprisingly large items in the passenger seat of a Miata if you can drive with the top down. But it definitely won't be hauling furniture home from IKEA. I guess I would want to make sure my bike rack fits on it. Threre's no ZipCar or anything like that around here, although there is Uber and Lyft. One Miata owner mentioned that they can be intimidating to drive on the freeway next to big trucks, but I used to ride a bicycle to work so I may already be desensitized to that.
Old 04 February 2019, 06:17 PM

Sounds like you ought to get a Miata.

I wanted to be able to drive my co-workers for two reasons. One, they're mostly in court while I'm mostly in the office; they'd have to take the shuttle back to get their cars and again after dropping them off since we can't park at the courthouse anymore. It's easier for me to drive over and pick them up. Two, I get carsick, especially in the backseat (sometimes even in the front seat with a really aggressive driver, but of course never when I drive) and offering to drive is a way of calling shotgun while appearing magnanimous.
Old 04 February 2019, 07:37 PM

If you have a Mazda Miata and like to drive fast legally, you will eventually end up driving a pickup as your daily driver while the Miata lives in the garage. Why is this you may ask. That is because to drive really fast you will end up competing in SCCA Solo (autocross). As you improve as a driver, you will want to improve the car by getting stiffer shocks, lowering the suspension etc. Eventually the Miata will become too uncomfortable to drive everyday. Plus the sticky tires you put on aren't suitable for driving in traffic. So you buy a pickup and trailer for the Miata. Hence your every day car is a pickup.
Old 04 February 2019, 09:59 PM

That is a very nice looking car. Hope you have years of faithful running with it.
Old 05 February 2019, 02:03 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
How often do you take more than one passenger? Do none of those passengers have appropriate vehicles? Do you have ZipCar or a similar service near you? Can you afford to rent a bigger car or pay for delivery when you need something big?
These questions are much the same for someone contemplating driving a pickup. A plain, seats-two-people pickup like mine (which has 5 seat belts).

LLTMMH: I had no trouble getting to work today. My street was very icy, but I stayed at about 5mph and had no trouble stopping at the stop sign, nor making the turn onto the arterial.

Seaboe
Old 06 February 2019, 02:52 AM

Crash

Venus and Jupiter came close in the middle of January and were brilliant together in the morning sky. They're still not far apart and it's a nice time for morning sky watching.
Old 06 February 2019, 11:25 AM

I have been enjoying looking at the planets while I am waiting for the bus with my son in the morning, ganzfeld.
Old 06 February 2019, 02:22 PM

Glasses

Ferdinand now weighs 18.3 lbs (down from 19.6). He only has .3 lb left until he reaches my goal weight for him!

Seaboe
Old 07 February 2019, 02:52 AM

Mouse

Boomer had enough energy for a walk. It was a short one, and he didnít move as fast as he used to, but it probably did him some good. I know it made me and my mom happier.
Old 14 February 2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Esprise Me, please post the cite when you have it.

Seaboe
I haven't been ignoring your request; it's just taking a while. It's on Lexis now and can also be found on the CoA website at https://www.courts.ca.gov/2dca.htm. The case number is B290290; I don't know how much longer we'll have to wait for the official cite.
Old 14 February 2019, 06:23 AM

I picked up my new glasses today, new glasses for computer work. Now I can read the computer screen without learning in very close.

I may now be able to read all post and Snopes without getting tired.
Old 14 February 2019, 04:52 PM

Glasses

Thanks, Esprise Me. I'll make a note of the case number.

LTTMMH: working from my sister's house with a warm dog on my lap. My internet is out at home, and my street is still impassable, but I managed to get to the bus stop and come here.

Seaboe
Old 14 February 2019, 06:50 PM

Seeing Orion in the night sky, and going out in my backyard and various times and watching how far he's traveled.

My autumn serviceberry tree is seeing more growth and getting ready for spring budding.

Fresh eggs from my friends' ranch. They bought the ranch almost two years ago, got a flock of chickens, and started selling eggs about a year ago. OMG, these are so good.

Milk delivered from a local dairy in glass bottles. Their salesman came by a month ago giving out free samples, and this dedicated milk-drinker was *hooked*. I thought I loved milk before (I could easily go through a gallon a week on my own), but fresh from the dairy is so much *better*.

(And scrambled eggs made with farm fresh eggs and dairy fresh milk....WONDERFUL!!!!)
Old 14 February 2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I picked up my new glasses today, new glasses for computer work. Now I can read the computer screen without learning in very close.

I may now be able to read all post and Snopes without getting tired.
Nice! I picked mine up yesterday.

Mine aren't new prescriptions - I got them because my previous pair's frame broke - but they are the first varifocals I've had. I don't actually need them to read, but I found I was having to take my previous pair off to read, even computer screens at some distance. So I can use this pair for everything and no longer have to take them on and off all the time, which is nice.

I see what they mean about varifocals taking some time to get used to, though. I think I'm adjusting fairly quickly, but there were times yesterday after picking them up when they were actually making me feel seasick. You learn to move your head differently to adjust, and I think your brain must also start compensating for the way it makes your peripheral vision distort. When I first sat down at my desk yesterday after collecting them, I looked down and moving my head made the desk look like waves were running through it. I can still get that effect today but only when it sneaks up on me at times if I move wrongly - I now have to consciously try to see it, mostly. Yesterday I could hardly avoid it.

The day I had without glasses at all, after my previous pair broke but before I found my spare pair, did make me surprisingly tired and headachy and irritable as well, though. Weird how that works. My glasses aren't even that strong, but I could not have happily managed without them for two weeks, so I'm glad I found the spare pair.
Old 14 February 2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalene View Post
Seeing Orion in the night sky, and going out in my backyard and various times and watching how far he's traveled.
I was delighted to have him accompany me on my walk back from the Pub last night. I really donít look at the night sky often enough, and the immense specacle of Orion on a crystal clear winterís sky never gets boring.

Note to self. Get Dadís old Leica Scope out and point it at pretty things.
Old 15 February 2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Nice! I picked mine up yesterday.

Mine aren't new prescriptions - I got them because my previous pair's frame broke - but they are the first varifocals I've had. I don't actually need them to read, but I found I was having to take my previous pair off to read, even computer screens at some distance. So I can use this pair for everything and no longer have to take them on and off all the time, which is nice.

I see what they mean about varifocals taking some time to get used to, though. I think I'm adjusting fairly quickly, but there were times yesterday after picking them up when they were actually making me feel seasick.
Yeah I have had glasses for short-sightedness since I was 12 and reading glasses for about 10 years but I tend not to use my reading glasses, I just take my normal glasses off. But my computer is in-between reading those glasses and sea-sickness is a concern for me with getting bi-focal or even tri-focal glasses. I will see how I go with three pairs of glasses for a while. (actually it is more like five pairs as I have prescription sunnies and a spare set of normal glasses)
Old 15 February 2019, 02:04 PM

Glasses

I made it out of the driveway! And off the street I live on (without, I admit, quite stopping at the stop sign)! Once I reached the arterial, everything was fine--more than fine, not a speck of snow or ice in sight.

Sadly, this may not last. There are some indications of lowland snow again next week. I still have almost a foot in my front yard (thickened by the snow from the roof, sidewalk and driveway). If it snows again before the street clears, I will be trapped again. But hey, then I can work with a warm white dog on my lap.

Seaboe
Old 17 February 2019, 04:23 PM

I just made plans to attend a 90th birthday party for one of my favorite professors, at one of my favorite buildings in the Athens (OH) area (the UU fellowship). And I found a budget-friendly Airbnb just 10 minutes away.

ETA: here's a picture of the building, which unfortunately doesn't do it justice. The bricks are laid in wavy, swooping courses instead of straight lines. And it's not crooked -- it just looks that way because the deck on the front slopes.
Old 17 February 2019, 04:35 PM

United Kingdom

Are the homeowners and any accompanying pets or other nouns crooked? Say, cats, for instance, or the miles walked?
Old 17 February 2019, 05:50 PM

It's a Unitarian Universalist fellowship; I tried to come up with a joke around that but so far I'm failing.