snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 10 February 2019, 04:55 PM

Yes, that was the gimmick of that toyline.

Didn't do too well, as I remember: the toys were pretty expensive and didn't have much other than that going for them.
Old 10 February 2019, 07:20 PM

I tried the Spot the Skrull game and only got a five.
Old 10 February 2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Yes, that was the gimmick of that toyline.

Didn't do too well, as I remember: the toys were pretty expensive and didn't have much other than that going for them.
Shame, really. The show almost crossed the suckitude barrier. If they had better costumes and better justification for Blastarr…

Also, GenYus234, I only got three.
Old 11 February 2019, 05:30 PM

You can punch the little old lady/skrull that keeps popping up!!

Old 07 March 2019, 01:06 AM

No

So, the reviews for Captain Marvel are finally starting to appear, and I have to admit I’m a little worried. On the one hand, it’s clear to me that there’s a review bomb in progress with user reviews at IMDb. On the other, TLJ has so completely shattered my faith in the meta-data review sites like metacriric and rotten tomatoes that I don’t feel I can trust them anymore, but most especially in the sort of circumstances that might provoke unfair backlash and review bombs (whereas the review bombers dive low, the critics seem to want to skew high—I’ll set aside, for now, why I think that is).

Bottom line: Rian Johnson ruined everything and review bombs suck harder than the bombers in TLJ.
Old 07 March 2019, 02:18 AM

that's one of the reasons I've stopped paying attention to reviews.
Old 07 March 2019, 02:29 AM

Icon05

So, what, you just wait for movies to come out on video?
Old 07 March 2019, 02:34 AM

Mouse

Again, it’s not the SJWs who ruin entertainment; it’s the whiny-ass white fanboys. With any luck, Hollywood will keep adding diversity to entertainment. I figure that either said fanboys will realize “Hey I can relate to this character, even though they’re not a White, Heterosexual Male,” and grow the NFBSK up. Or they’ll scream themselves into an embolism. Either way, the fandoms and the world would be a better place. Here’s a pertinent meme. Dudley eventually grew up, matured, and apologized to Harry for being such an asshole. Here’s hoping some of the fanboys do the same.
Old 07 March 2019, 01:53 PM

They have come up with a legitimate complaint about the Captain Marvel movie.

The actress playing the eponymous character is named after cheese.
Old 07 March 2019, 02:14 PM

Apparently if you like the movie, that makes you a “Brietard”
Old 07 March 2019, 02:25 PM

Tacking "tard" on the end of another word is hackneyed and overused. If g-you are going to come up with stupid portmanteus to make fun of those who think differently than g-you, at least have some creativity. Some quick suggestions:

Brievil
Brienwashed
Brietbart
Old 07 March 2019, 02:53 PM

Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Tacking "tard" on the end of another word is hackneyed and overused. If g-you are going to come up with stupid portmanteus to make fun of those who think differently than g-you, at least have some creativity. Some quick suggestions:

Brievil
Brienwashed
Brietbart
Did you know that the word portmanteau has its origin in the Second Sino-Japanese War, when thousands of refugees from Manchuria flooded into the port city of Shanghai looking from protection from western tradesmen and officials? As many of the westerners had a poor understanding of Chinese, they would sometimes slur words in a common phrase together, effectively creating a new word from the string. Educated English-speaking Chinese then went on to coin the term "portmanteau" to describe their western neighbors, itself coming from a fusion of the words "Port" and "Manchurian" as in, all these new words were common of "Port Manchurians," seeking protection in and around the International Settlement of Shanghai. Portmanteaus.

Steven Spielberg made a movie about it and he got Christian Bale to play the lead.
Old 07 March 2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
So, what, you just wait for movies to come out on video?
Or I get word-of-mouth from people who I know and trust the opinions of. I don't see many movies in the theaters anyway.
Old 07 March 2019, 03:08 PM

Yow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Or I get word-of-mouth from people who I know and trust the opinions of.
General Zod has a word for that:

Heresy!
Old 07 March 2019, 03:26 PM

I have three critics that I have been reading long enough to know that their take is fairly close to mine. Two of them are all around pretty close, and one pretty much nails my taste in sci-fi/fantasy/super hero stuff. They all gave Captain Marvel what would be considered a positive review on RT, but none of them gave it a glowing review. The one that I trust most for these movies gave it a barely passing review. I am going to see the movie this weekend, but my expectations have definitely been lowered.

One thing though - I don't think that the review bombs impact the Metacritic or RT numbers. I have never cared about what user reviews are out there, and unless you are a published critic, you don't get to affect the overall RT or Metacritic number. So worrying about review bombing changing the overall score is misplaced. I am annoyed that RT changed what they show and no longer have an easily seen average score of critics.
Old 07 March 2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Did you know that the word portmanteau has its origin in the Second Sino-Japanese War, when thousands of refugees from Manchuria flooded into the port city of Shanghai looking from protection from western tradesmen and officials?
A different history from David Morgan-Mar, in today's installment of his Irregular Webcomic!

Irregular Webcomic! #3944 -- 2019-03-07

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morgan-Mar
A portmanteau is a word formed by squashing two (or more) other words together. There may be an example or two hidden in the above comic.

The word "portmanteau" itself was first used to describe such words by Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking-Glass. He took the word from its then-current meaning of a piece of luggage, describing the blended words as being "packed into one word like a portmanteau". He used it to describe some of the words he had made up in this way for his poem Jabberwocky, including "frumious", "slithy", and "mimsy". ...
Old 07 March 2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Did you know that the word portmanteau has its origin in the Second Sino-Japanese War...
That was an impressive bit of Cliff Clavinism, right there! I doff my hat to you, sir.
Old 07 March 2019, 08:54 PM

A review I glanced at yesterday summed it up by saying something like, "At last, women get their own mediocre Marvel movie." Well, if that's the worst that can be said about it, I expect to have a good time -- heck, I liked Thor: The Dark World.

(I continue to refuse to have an opinion about Avengers: Infinity War until I see the rest of it...i.e., Engame. Actually, I tried watching Infinity War again when it turned up on Netflix, and found it to be a very odd experience. Seeing it the first time, in theater, I was anxious to see what happened, even knowing it would not have a real ending. Watching it a second time, on the other hand, it really didn't work for me; I felt very disconnected.)

Anyway, I have my ticket and will be seeing it about an hour after I get off work tomorrow.

One interesting note is that, after this, we get Endgame, and then Spider-Man: From Home, and then....nothing till I think May of 2020, which is a pretty long gap for Marvel movies nowadays. Further, they haven't actually told us what the next film after that will actually be, and have kept a pretty tight lid on that; one guesses revealing it might be at least a minor spoiler for Endgame.
Old 09 March 2019, 04:10 AM

And, yes: lots of fun, enjoyed it a great deal. So there.

I can see the point of some of the more valid criticism in terms of the characterization, but nothing that stopped me from having a good time and looking forward to more.
Old 12 March 2019, 08:16 PM

http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/20...e-an-sjw-hoax/

Quote:
As it turns out, there actually ARE some fake positive reviews of the movie out there. Namely 100 or so identically worded reviews up on Google. So of course the Captain Marvel foes — who only a few weeks ago bombarded Rotten Tomatoes with so many “don’t want to see” votes that the site disabled that feature — are now accusing SJWs and/or Disney of fraud.