snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 06 February 2019, 01:33 PM

Default Police investigating reports Rolf Harris entered a school and waved at kids

https://amp.brisbanetimes.com.au/wor...mpression=true

…what Rolf Harris was doing anywhere near a school is a bit beyond me. You’d think they’d want him as far away from children as possible…

(For you non-Aussie non-Brits in the crowd: Harris is an entertainer and convicted child molester who had a career spanning six decades before it came crashing down. He worked in the novelty music genre, with hits like “Six White Boomers” and “Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport”)

ETA: Um…is this the forum for this? Also: forgot a quote, so here’s one:

Quote:
Head teacher Richard Jarrett told the paper that the school has "two forms of security" and Harris had no access to the pupils "whatsoever".

He told the paper: "We've got a wood sculptor working close to the road at the moment and Rolf Harris lives about three doors down from the school.

"He must have seen him (the sculptor) and come into the school area. He had no access to the children whatsoever.

"I went over and shook his hand and introduced myself. He explained what he was doing - that he was getting some wood from the sculptor. I said, 'You need to go'."

Police were called to Oldfield Primary School at around 3.15pm on Tuesday.

Last edited by Jusenkyo no Pikachu; 06 February 2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06 February 2019, 02:21 PM

I would say it might be better in Police Blotter.
Old 06 February 2019, 07:32 PM

I don't know about Australian law, but IIRC in the US wouldn't it be illegal for him to have even entered school grounds?
Old 07 February 2019, 03:08 AM

I don’t know about the law that applies in this case either (which is actually British law. “Head teacher” is a shibboleth: we call them “principals” or “headmasters” here).
Old 07 February 2019, 03:21 PM

Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I don't know about Australian law, but IIRC in the US wouldn't it be illegal for him to have even entered school grounds?
It would depend on the conditions listed for parole (or, it appears, license, in Britain). I don't think banning from school grounds is an automatic condition for parole in the United States.
Old 07 February 2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of the Mad Bunnies View Post
It would depend on the conditions listed for parole (or, it appears, license, in Britain). I don't think banning from school grounds is an automatic condition for parole in the United States.
According to one of the reports I read yesterday, due to the nature of his offences he was in breach of his licence.
Old 07 February 2019, 10:02 PM

In my jurisdiction, it can be a condition of parole or post-prison supervision, which would be similar to what happened in the OP.

In addition, if a person has a specific designation as a dangerous offender or particular level of sex offender (used to be called a predatory sex offender), it can be an offense for them to go to certain places where children congregate. I'm not sure how widespread laws like that are.