snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 01 February 2019, 04:56 AM

Certainly seems that way.
Old 01 February 2019, 06:24 AM

When dealing with something the size of the cosmos and/or God, I'd much prefer indifference.
Old 01 February 2019, 03:22 PM

Icon22

From the Babylon Bee: God Unsure How He's Going to Accomplish His Eternal Purposes If Republicans Lose Congress.

I only post the most reliable of fake news.

MusicGeek: great comic!
Old 01 February 2019, 03:33 PM

Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
MusicGeek: great comic!
Only if you want to feel validated engaging in self-delusion. The "better than the alternative" panel really ruins it for me.

ETA: I'll grant that the problem of evil may be a false dilemma, in that it only applies if you hold to the three omnis--which not everyone does--and/or think worldly suffering matters (so I don't mind the "most people don't care" blurb). But it only comes up due to a lack of proper skepticism towards god claims.
Old 01 February 2019, 03:47 PM

People hold contradictory beliefs about all sorts of things. We tend to be untroubled by the ones we ourselves hold. There can be some discomfort when we have to think about them at the same time, but we have tons of strategies for making that discomfort go away without changing our beliefs.

The last panel didn't ruin it for me, I just disagree with it.
Old 01 February 2019, 04:58 PM

I just have a hard time celebrating something that says we should cheerfully reject skepticism if it might lead us to some unpleasant truths. It sounds okay on its face, but so much human misery has its roots in doing just that. If you value human well-being, you should embrace skepticism in all things.
Old 01 February 2019, 06:00 PM

I can't say what the artist's specific intent was, but I read "in fairness... better..." as a means of explaining people's affection for religious belief - i.e., belief sounds more appealing than skepticism.

I also think that the cartoon would have been fine without the last panel.

(This comic also has a "bonus gag button" which sometimes clarifies the author's point, so I went back to the page and clicked it, and it just had a cartoon of the artist looking troubled, saying, "I promise a penis joke tomorrow!")
Old 02 February 2019, 02:16 AM

Glasses

I think it's safe to say that we're all skeptical to some extent. There would be no Snopes Message Board if we were not.
Old 02 February 2019, 02:38 AM

I would say I have to be skeptical about that claim (purely in jest, I assure you), but then I’d hate to play into the false narrative that proper skepticism requires a uniformly high standard of evidence for all claims, no matter how mundane or trivial, or that 'skeptic' is just short hand for 'naysayer.'
Old 02 February 2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I think it's safe to say that we're all skeptical to some extent.
Cite please.
Old 02 February 2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
I would say I have to be skeptical about that claim (purely in jest, I assure you), but then Iíd hate to play into the false narrative that proper skepticism requires a uniformly high standard of evidence for all claims, no matter how mundane or trivial, or that 'skeptic' is just short hand for 'naysayer.'
Sadly, especially online there are a lot of self-professed "skeptics" who are just naysayers.
Old 02 February 2019, 11:18 AM

I can understand humans wanting something. It's harder to imagine all-powerful deities wanting.

The 'skeptic' label is so utterly meaningless. Besides the fact that almost everyone's skeptical of something, and that only weirdos (like me, sometimes) want to be skeptical of everything, why should anyone take the self-proclaimed skeptic's word for it? Heck, even the Flat-Earther's most common argument is "we're skeptics". (And don't get me started on the pejorative "woo-woo".)
Old 02 February 2019, 01:41 PM

Bang Head

And thereís the "skeptics as shorthand for naysayers" position.
Old 03 February 2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Sadly, especially online there are a lot of self-professed "skeptics" who are just naysayers.
That is just not so.
Old 06 February 2019, 12:43 AM

Mouse

Kneejerk response every time I read the thread title: Which is why he didnít win the popular vote, right?

Itís petty, but given that Trump is the pettiest human being ever, I donít feel too guilty for indulging myself. And the information gives me some comfort: no matter how loudly they kick and scream, the people actually wanted Hillary, not Trump.
Old 06 February 2019, 12:55 AM

But did she say which god?

Eris, Greek Goddess of Chaos, Confirms That She Wanted Trump to Be President

Quote:
“I’d been following his career for years,” the goddess of disorder and ruin said. “The bankruptcies, the business failures. There was a lot for me to love.”
Old 06 February 2019, 02:17 AM

That is freakin' great. (Love Borowitz.) I like the Howard Sdhultz dig at the end, too.