snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 04 February 2019, 04:02 PM

I agree using the "Big Game" is stupid, but if a store uses the "Super Bowl", the NFL will send them a big bill.
Old 04 February 2019, 04:13 PM

And IIRC, the NFL tried(unsuccessfully)to trademark “The Big Game” several years ago.
Old 04 February 2019, 04:25 PM

I have a combination carbon monoxide / natural gas alarm plugged into the outlet next to my bed. I bought that one rather than just a regular CO alarm when I first moved into my house because I'd never lived someplace with gas appliances before and was a little nervous about gas leaks. I'm beginning to think having that alarm is more trouble than it's worth, however. The alarm goes off whenever I cook something with alcohol in it (apparently it can't tell the difference between gas and alcohol vapors*). Then last night the gas alarm just randomly went off at 1 am when I was sound asleep. As far as I can tell it was a false alarm; I got up and checked all the gas appliances and couldn't smell or hear any gas. No idea what set it off this time. But that was the last straw. I'm replacing it with just a plain old CO alarm that doesn't have this fancy natural gas detection feature.

*Although after seeing the Mythbusters episode about exploding moonshine stills, I now realize alcohol vapors can be just as dangerous as natural gas.
Old 04 February 2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I agree using the "Big Game" is stupid, but if a store uses the "Super Bowl", the NFL will send them a big bill.
Which they shouldn't pay.

A trademark does not give a company unlimited rights to print or utter the phrase - otherwise we would have to order our Coca-Cola and Heineken as "carbonated cola beverage" and "Dutch pale lager beer" and hope for the best. The game is named the Super Bowl, and that means you can call it that.

If there's any way a reasonable person might assume an actual promotional partnership (such as a bar that invites people to a Super Bowl buffet or an appliance store having a Super Bowl TV contest) then the NFL would have something of a leg to stand on. But acknowledging people have (non-infringing) Super Bowl viewing parties in their own homes and offering to cater them doesn't fall into that category.
Old 04 February 2019, 04:52 PM

Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
Which they shouldn't pay.
Unfortunately, when a big, very powerful corporation sends their lawyers after a small firm, the small firm usually ends up spending a LOT of money even if they are right. So it is easier to let the big corporations just have their way.
Old 04 February 2019, 05:04 PM

Doesn't even have to be a firm smaller than the NFL. The "cost" of making sure all your employees say "the big game" is almost always going to be a lot smaller than the cost of litigating whether your use infringed upon the NFL's trademark.

ETA: The stupidest one I've heard was when the radio station was giving away Super Bowl tickets but instead referred to them as tickets to "the big game".
Old 04 February 2019, 05:25 PM

One of the local radio stations was offering tickets to "The Big Game". I really wanted them to announce afterwards that they Big Game they were referring to was a minor league baseball game or soccer game somewhere.
Old 04 February 2019, 05:39 PM

D'oh!

And that's exactly why it's stupid. They can't restrict speech - even commercial speech - to the point where you can't be clear about what you're talking about. I think we all have to start referring to it as "the annual championship game of the recognized top American football league." The NFL will probably try to say they own "football" and "league", and maybe "American", because it's part of the AFC.

Anyone know what the actual stated limits of the Super Bowl trademark are? I remember when I used to work for the American Lung Association - the Christmas Seal People® - we finally got the rights to "Christmas Seals", but IIRC only in connection to lung-related charities.
Old 04 February 2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I have a combination carbon monoxide / natural gas alarm plugged into the outlet next to my bed.
How old is it? Smoke detectors have a lifespan of years, usually 10 years or less - see the manufacturer's details. And CO detectors have an even shorter lifespan, as they depend on a chemical reaction to function. See if you can find out what the manufacturer recommends for replacement time, and remember when you purchased it - in fact, there may be a date stamped on it. A device with a 5-year lifespan that sat on a shelf for 3 years isn't necessarily going to give you a full 5 years, if it depends on chemical reactions to work.
Old 04 February 2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
How old is it? Smoke detectors have a lifespan of years, usually 10 years or less - see the manufacturer's details. And CO detectors have an even shorter lifespan, as they depend on a chemical reaction to function. See if you can find out what the manufacturer recommends for replacement time, and remember when you purchased it - in fact, there may be a date stamped on it. A device with a 5-year lifespan that sat on a shelf for 3 years isn't necessarily going to give you a full 5 years, if it depends on chemical reactions to work.
It is over 10 years old now, as I bought it at the same time I bought the house in September 2008. I actually did replace it with a basic CO detector without the gas detection function because I was getting tired of the false alarms when I cooked something containing alcohol, but then that one expired so I put this on back thinking it still had some life left since it had been sitting on the shelf for many of those years, but I guess I was wrong about that. Still, sounding an incredibly loud alarm at one in the morning was kind of a rude way for it to tell me that it was expiring.
Old 04 February 2019, 07:54 PM

WildaBeast, better to be annoyed by an expiring detector than to expire yourself.

In reference to the "Big Game", see https://www.commlawblog.com/tags/super-bowl-trademark/ for several explanations.
Old 04 February 2019, 10:10 PM

Baseball

After yesterday, someone should trademark "The Boring Game" and use that instead of the Super Bowl.
Old 04 February 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Sorry for assuming that everybody would get the reference - Brexit is probably more prominent in European (and of course especially British) politics and news than elsewhere in the world.
It's OK, I got it.

And you've reminded me that I had been meaning to renew my passport before the end of March (it expires in November) and now I probably don't have time, especially since I can't find the photos that I had taken. Which is annoying...

I remember putting them in an envelope for safekeeping, some time around the beginning of December, but sadly it wasn't the same envelope that the renewal forms are in. (You may gather from some of my posts that I'm not very organised, but I was organised enough to get passport renewal forms and have some photos taken last year - just not organised enough to fill the forms in and post them, or put the photos somewhere I could find them again!)
Old 04 February 2019, 11:46 PM

A friend of mine posted yesterday "Happy Traumatic Brain Injury Awareness Day!" Might not be the best promo phrase for hot wings, but if that became the new euphemism the NFL might come to regret coming down so hard on everyone who dared utter the word "Superbowl."
Old 09 February 2019, 09:32 AM

My water heater seems to have stopped working. I had enough lukewarm water to wash my hair (but not have a proper bath like I'd wanted) this morning, but now I've got to work out what's wrong with it.

It's odd because there are two separate immersion heaters, one for economy 7 and one booster. They are on completely independent circuits with separate on / off switches and separate fuse trigger switches, and both seem to have stopped working at the same time, over the last couple of days (while I was away for the night on Wednesday). The trip switches hadn't tripped. Maybe the thermostats have gone somehow - those were a bit dodgy. But they're independent systems and I don't see how they could both have failed in the same non-obvious way at the same time.

Now I have to start dismantling bits of the boiler instead of the other things I wanted to do.
Old 09 February 2019, 07:39 PM

Is it possible that the booster had already gone and you didn't notice, or just used more hot water?
Old 10 February 2019, 01:35 AM

Earlier today I got stung by a bee for what I believe is the first time in my life. 6 hours later, my foot is all swollen and red, hot and painful. Fortunately the reaction appears to be localized and nothing else about me feels bad or in distress. I took Benadryl and put a cold compress on my foot but this is annoying.
Old 10 February 2019, 04:03 AM

Cervus, if you're having that drastic a reaction to a single bee sting, you might want to see a doctor and check into getting an allergy kit. A second sting at some other time might produce a worse reaction; or might be close to your airway.
Old 10 February 2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Is it possible that the booster had already gone and you didn't notice, or just used more hot water?
Yes, my dad suggested that. Usually I only have the economy 7 one on (which comes on overnight) and I only use the booster if the water has been off while I've been away and I come back and want hot water during the day. So it's possible the booster had already failed and I didn't notice until I tried to use it when I found that the overnight one hadn't worked either. (I'd noticed my shower wasn't very hot on Friday, but that works on a heat exchanger that takes mains cold water in a coil through the hot tank, and I'd thought maybe the input water was just colder than usual, rather than the rest of the water not being as hot as usual. It wasn't until I tried having a bath yesterday that it was obvious the water wasn't hot at all).

Even then, I would have used the booster in the last few weeks though, as I certainly turned the water off while I was away over Christmas (so I'd have used it at the start of January) even if not since. So it couldn't have failed long ago.

I'm going out to get a multimeter to test the thermostats today - nothing I could see looked wrong at all, and the thermostats were still working as far as the "click" noise when you turn the setting past the current temperature point goes - but I think I'm going to have to call an electrician.
Old 12 February 2019, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Cervus, if you're having that drastic a reaction to a single bee sting, you might want to see a doctor......
I've been dealing with allergies my entire life, and I second TL's suggestion. This sort of thing could be serious. I believe it's worth a cautionary visit with a doctor.

Hope you're feeling better.