Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 29 January 2019, 01:25 PM

I don't get it?
Old 29 January 2019, 02:06 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
a memorial poppy
Gliding over this in the middle of the description, my brain decided you'd written "a ceremonial puppy," and although I instantly knew I had to have read it wrong, I did wonder whether a puppy would fit behind your bedside table.

LTTAM: They need to restripe the parking lot I use at work. There's a spot marked as handicapped, for example, that would not work for a mobility impaired person (it's in a corner by a fence and a sidewalk with a 4"-6" step). It's there because 20 years ago, before they put the fence it, it was near the nice, level door into a building.

Seaboe
Old 29 January 2019, 03:34 PM

Don Enrico, I don't get it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I thought it sounded more like you had a tool that works and you wanted to use it but found it had been (for all intents) replaced with something that at best you're not used to and might not even do the job. I didn't get why that would make you a fuddy duddy (even though I know RichardM wasn't being serious). That would drive me crazy too. We have a neat thermal cooker for slow cooking that's extremely simple to use (zero buttons!) but only I've used it and it will probably take a while for dw or ds to give it a try. She has the tools that work for her cooking so I wouldn't dare lend them out. Nothing about being a fuddy duddy; If something works, it's annoying to have it taken away for something different, even if that different thing doesn't require learning a whole new method.
Indeed.

I like my ancient cast iron frypans. If a housemate wanted to use new ones with whatever's the current nonstick coating, that would be no skin off my nose. If they got rid of my cast iron because they liked the new ones better, I'd be furious. And that wouldn't even require learning new buttons and new cooking times.

And the best tool for one person, in a whole lot of cases, isn't the best tool for somebody else. When I had multiple different people helping do fieldwork, everybody had a different favorite trowel, everybody had a different favorite hoe. I would tell people to try out the selection, and then use the one that fit their individual body best.

Quote:
The nose pads fall off mine too, but those are easily replaceable - opticians here will replace them in a couple of minutes for nothing, usually. And (although it's a bit uncomfortable and sometimes scratches my nose so it bleeds) I can wear glasses without them anyway. I've never had the actual wire nose piece fall off, though.
The optician will replace the nose pads -- but the optician's a forty minute round trip to a village I'd ordinarily only go to every few weeks. Drugstores etc. do sell silicone pads you can pull over the metal nose piece if there's enough of it still there to attach to; those aren't as good as the originals, but it's possible to manage with them for a while.

I haven't had the entire wire piece fall off; but I've had the wire break. That's not repairable short of, possibly, jeweler's soldering equipment. -- that is, as it's possible to make the glasses in the first place, I'm sure it's technically possible to re-make the nose pieces; but I'm certainly not set up for it, and the optician doesn't seem to be either.
Old 29 January 2019, 04:03 PM

Driver

I'm annoyed at car ads that tout their teen-driver tracking technology. I find it insulting that parents don't trust their kids and have this urge to follow them everywhere, even if it's only electronic. Maybe I'm over-reacting. Any parents of teens want to chime in and edu-ma-cate this childless woman?
Old 29 January 2019, 04:08 PM

My kids are too young to drive for the next 5 years, but I agree with you. If I don't trust the kid to use my car, they won't be USING my car. I think there are way too many ways to track kids nowadays, what with tracking in phones. I enjoyed going out and no-one knowing where I was, and I think it was good for me. Now, it is a lot harder for kids to do that.

Of course, these ideas might totally change in a few years if my kid proves to be an idiot (aka, a teenager with friends.)
Old 29 January 2019, 04:16 PM

It may provide a way for kids feeling pressured by their friends to have a face saving out. "I'd love to drive us to the bar where they don't check IDs, but my parents can track my car." I know there were a few times where I used my parents' invented strictness to get out of something I didn't want to do.
Old 29 January 2019, 04:20 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
It may provide a way for kids feeling pressured by their friends to have a face saving out. "I'd love to drive us to the bar where they don't check IDs, but my parents can track my car." I know there were a few times where I used my parents' invented strictness to get out of something I didn't want to do.
Never thought of that. Of course if the kid is driving some beater car, that line might not work.
Old 29 January 2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
D
The optician will replace the nose pads -- but the optician's a forty minute round trip to a village I'd ordinarily only go to every few weeks. Drugstores etc. do sell silicone pads you can pull over the metal nose piece if there's enough of it still there to attach to; those aren't as good as the originals, but it's possible to manage with them for a while.
The optician might be willing to give you a handful of nose pads; mine has done that for me in the past.

Re: repairing metal pieces, in Columbus there's an eyeglass repair place that fixes the stuff an optician can't. I once snapped one of the temples (legs) of my glasses; the optician couldn't put new temples on, but the eyeglass repair place did.
Old 29 January 2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
The optician might be willing to give you a handful of nose pads; mine has done that for me in the past.
It's not at all obvious to me how I'd attach them.

Quote:
Re: repairing metal pieces, in Columbus there's an eyeglass repair place that fixes the stuff an optician can't. I once snapped one of the temples (legs) of my glasses; the optician couldn't put new temples on, but the eyeglass repair place did.
Ah, advantages of living in/near cities!

(I'll still take, personally, the advantages of not living in cities; but there are definitely advantages to doing so.)
Old 29 January 2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
It's not at all obvious to me how I'd attach them.
They usually just slip over the wire piece, assuming it's intact.

Quote:

(I'll still take, personally, the advantages of not living in cities; but there are definitely advantages to doing so.)
I was thinking more of Cervus's issue, actually.
Old 29 January 2019, 09:14 PM

We have an eyeglass repair shop like that here, too. I have no idea how common they are, but it seems worth checking for an issue like Cervus's
Old 30 January 2019, 06:28 AM

United Kingdom

Quote:
And they still take two weeks to arrive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Good thing you ordered them now and not in the end of March...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I don't get it?
Richard ordering the glasses in the end of March would have put the delivery date into the time after Brexit on 29th of March. I was playing on the prospect of a "hard Brexit" without any treaty between the UK and the EU becoming more and more likely, and the expected disturbance in all delivery chains into the UK. Those problems will likely effect everything from fresh flowers and cat food to car parts and medications - and could also postpone the delivery of Richards glasses.

Sorry for assuming that everybody would get the reference - Brexit is probably more prominent in European (and of course especially British) politics and news than elsewhere in the world.
Old 30 January 2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:

I've always said my perfect home would be like the house in Clifford Simak's short story, "The Big Front Yard", where (in my case) one door of my house opens to the large country estate the house is actually situated on, and the other door opens to an urban location, like where I am now, where I can literally walk to almost any place I need to go (including work) in 15 minutes or less.

Related Little Thing That Annoys Me: our pharmacy is closing, and the next nearest one is a solid half hour walk across a very busy main road (i.e., now we gotta drive). So my current location is no longer perfect
Old 30 January 2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Richard ordering the glasses in the end of March would have put the delivery date into the time after Brexit on 29th of March.
Like Richard in two weeks, I see.
Old 30 January 2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
They usually just slip over the wire piece, assuming it's intact.
Those little pads the drugstores sell are designed to do that, yes. Though actually I think they're designed to slip over an intact nose pad; which is probably why they only work partially when trying to substitute for one.

Our glasses must be differently constructed, though; because the pads that come with my glasses are held on by an extension of the pad being held by a small wire clamp with, as near as I can tell, the aid of a very tiny rivet holding the clamp closed, and possibly going through into the pad extension. Nothing just slips over anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
I've always said my perfect home would be like the house in Clifford Simak's short story, "The Big Front Yard", where (in my case) one door of my house opens to the large country estate the house is actually situated on, and the other door opens to an urban location, like where I am now, where I can literally walk to almost any place I need to go (including work) in 15 minutes or less.
Oh that would be lovely! -- would need to be careful not to let the cats out the wrong door, though!

I can walk to work, though -- don't even have to leave the house for some of it. There's an old line about the person who asks the farmer how far they have to go to work, and the farmer says, 'Oh, I don't go to work. I just get out of bed, and there it is, all around me.'
Old 30 January 2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Our glasses must be differently constructed, though; because the pads that come with my glasses are held on by an extension of the pad being held by a small wire clamp with, as near as I can tell, the aid of a very tiny rivet holding the clamp closed, and possibly going through into the pad extension. Nothing just slips over anything.
i just looked at mine -- there is a small extension of the pad, but it just snaps into an open square of wire. That's how my last pair was, too. I think I prefer that -- the nose pads may be more likely to fall off, but they're easily fixed at home when that happens.
Old 04 February 2019, 01:56 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Mouse, you may enjoy this:
RENT - Look Pretty and Do As Little as Possible: A Video Essay.

Itís a long-form (45 minutes) video essay that I think will echo a lot of your feelings about Rent.
Thank you! There are few things in life more satisfying than a good Hate-On, especially when Lindsay Ellis is hosting it. Another thing about the musical's romanticization of poverty: while they are romanticizing poverty, at the same time, the characters in the musical would be appalled if you :gasp: suggested that they should live in poverty. That's for those other people who aren't them, not Artistes such as themselves. Again, the first song is them throwing a hissy because they are being told that after living at a place rent-free for a year, now they have to :gasp: pay for a place to live like plebians.

Though while I'm too young to have achieved Old Farthood, I have acquired one of the more crippling signs of Adulthood in that when consuming media about those crazy kids and their wacky hijinks, I've come to sympathize more with the boring adults who have to put up with their shit, than the kids.
Old 04 February 2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Though while I'm too young to have achieved Old Farthood, I have acquired one of the more crippling signs of Adulthood in that when consuming media about those crazy kids and their wacky hijinks, I've come to sympathize more with the boring adults who have to put up with their shit, than the kids.
Come, join us. Give yourself to the Dark Side. Your hate has made you powerful.
Old 04 February 2019, 01:48 PM

Icon18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Come, join us. Give yourself to the Dark Side. Your hate has made you powerful.
Yeeessssssss. You know you want to.
Old 04 February 2019, 03:48 PM

Icon84

I didn't get around to posting this in time, but my latest annoying thing:

The Big Game

Or rather saying The Big Game instead of The Super Bowl. I understand the NFL has to control its trademarks, but the local eatery avoiding saying "buy some of our megapizza and scorcherwings for your Super Bowl party" because they might be mistaken for actual advertising partners is just stupid.