snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 29 January 2019, 11:07 AM

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What 1756-1763 conflict has been called "World War Zero" because it involved every major European power and took place on five continents?
Is this a history question or a math question? The Seven Years' War raged between 1756 and 1763.

2. The two broad types of whales, Odontoceti and Mysticeti, are divided based on whether or not they have what?
Those are the toothed whales and the baleen whales, respectively.

3. What title setting of a 2011 video game is the northernmost province of the continent of Tamriel?
Being up there at the top of the world and all, it's called Skyrim.

4. Before her 2003 retirement, Cathy Freeman won two Olympic track medals for what nation?
Freeman, one of the fastest women of all time, draped herself in both the Aboriginal flag and the Australian national flag after winning her gold in Sydney.

5. What kind of food would you bake by "shirring"?
Shirred eggs are baked eggs.

6. Before The Golden Girls began in 1985, two of the four lead actresses had starred together in what other TV series?
From 1972 to 1978, Bea Arthur and Rue McClanahan played neighbors and best friends on Maude.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. cities, listed in this order? Lexington, Casper, Norfolk, St. Louis, Cleveland, Huntington, Hartford, Miami, Great Falls.
These cities are not the most populous in their respective states. BUT they are the cities that were *most recently* the most populous in their respective states, in the order in which they got surpassed. Lexington got passed by Louisville less than a decade ago, and before that Casper got passed by Cheyenne, and before that Norfolk got passed by Virginia Beach, and so on.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What legendary Texan outlaw had a letter 'g' added to his name when Bob Dylan named an album after him in 1967?

2. What UNESCO World Heritage Site is by far the youngest city on the list, having been founded in 1960?

3. The Parker Brothers board game Sorry! is a version of what much older game?

4. What still-living person was in the direct line of succession to the Danish and Greek thrones until he renounced his titles in 1947?

5. What movie's soundtrack was the only million-selling album of 2018?

6. What name for a part of a car is also used, in calculus, for an equation that relates a function and its derivatives?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these presidents, listed in this order? Obama, Nixon, Lyndon Johnson, Eisenhower, Ford, Truman, Clinton, Hoover.

Enjoy!
Old 29 January 2019, 11:15 AM

1. What legendary Texan outlaw had a letter 'g' added to his name when Bob Dylan named an album after him in 1967?

John Wesley Hardin

4. What still-living person was in the direct line of succession to the Danish and Greek thrones until he renounced his titles in 1947?

Prince Philip
Old 29 January 2019, 11:34 AM

Sam Houstong? Ok, maybe I have no clue.

2. What UNESCO World Heritage Site is by far the youngest city on the list, having been founded in 1960?

Brasilia

A very confused version of chess!

Prince Philip
Old 29 January 2019, 12:55 PM

Baseball

1. The Ridin' Bandit. Dylan added a 'g' to call him the Riding Bandit. Just kidding. Can't think of any Texas outlaw with a name the could have a 'g' added.

2. Disneyworld

3. I believe that is Parcheesi

4. Prince Phillip

5. I need to listen to music or watch movies more. I don't know

6. Distributor? I don't know calculus.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these presidents, listed in this order? Obama, Nixon, Lyndon Johnson, Eisenhower, Ford, Truman, Clinton, Hoover.

I'm only 2 fo 7 this week.
Old 29 January 2019, 01:19 PM

5. What movie's soundtrack was the only million-selling album of 2018? Can't decide if that is Bohemian Rhapsody or A Star Is Born. I'm going to go with A Star Is Born.

6. What name for a part of a car is also used, in calculus, for an equation that relates a function and its derivatives? Distributor????
Old 29 January 2019, 01:24 PM

6. What name for a part of a car is also used, in calculus, for an equation that relates a function and its derivatives? Differential
Old 29 January 2019, 01:38 PM

For 7, I don't know, but I suspect something like fewest vetoes issued.

For last week's 7, after posting here, I Googled, and I noticed that almost all of them were the 2nd largest city in their respective states. But Great Falls, according to Wikipedia, is 3rd, having been surpassed by Missoula in 2000.. I didn't get the connection even with Googling. Well designed question, I guess.
Old 29 January 2019, 02:08 PM

Rough week.

1. Don't know.

2. Don't know.

3. Parcheesi?

4. Prince Phillip.

5. Greatest Showman?

6. Differential.

7. Nothing springs to mind.
Old 29 January 2019, 02:17 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

I have gone totally blank on the names of any outlaws other than Billy the Kid (William Bonney).
Quote:

Brasalia, I presume.
Quote:

Snakes and ladders? Since you can send people back to the beginning?
Quote:

What the heck. Prince Philip.
Quote:

I don't even know for sure what movies came out in 2018, let alone which ones had popular soundtracks. But I'll say A Star is Born anyway
Quote:

6. What name for a part of a car is also used, in calculus, for an equation that relates a function and its derivatives?
It's been over 40 years since I took calculus. I haven't a clue. Axle.
Quote:

Sigh. Again, I don't have a guess. Nor, this time, do I think I care.

Seaboe
Old 29 January 2019, 02:44 PM

2. What UNESCO World Heritage Site is by far the youngest city on the list, having been founded in 1960? Brasília

4. What still-living person was in the direct line of succession to the Danish and Greek thrones until he renounced his titles in 1947? Prince Philip

6. What name for a part of a car is also used, in calculus, for an equation that relates a function and its derivatives? differential
Old 29 January 2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
For last week's 7, after posting here, I Googled, and I noticed that almost all of them were the 2nd largest city in their respective states. But Great Falls, according to Wikipedia, is 3rd, having been surpassed by Missoula in 2000.. I didn't get the connection even with Googling. Well designed question, I guess.
Except I don't get why Columbia, SC wouldn't be on there.
Old 29 January 2019, 05:07 PM

How recently, if ever, was its population larger than Charleston's?

Nevermind--just saw the link.
Old 29 January 2019, 06:35 PM

I should know this. I should know this. Why on earth can't I think of this?

3. The Parker Brothers board game Sorry! is a version of what much older game? Parcheesi, I'm pretty sure.
Old 29 January 2019, 07:00 PM

1. Gah, Bob Dylan albums should be easy but I'm not sure of that one. Wild Bill Ghickock? Bigly the Kid? I'm sure I'll know it when I see the answer.

2. It surely can't be Milton Keynes but I have a weird feeling it might be. Although Brasilia is probably a better guess...

3. Ludo.

4. Might be Prince Phillip. I think he had to renounce them in order to marry Princess Elizabeth.

5. Er, that Disney one, probably.

6. Differential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
Largest number of enemies that they had killed, in descending order? Um, largest distances between their actual birthplaces and the place claimed on the birth certificate? I'm sure I should be able to come up with a sensible guess as well.
Old 05 February 2019, 10:08 AM

Happy trivia day.

Here we go with ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

John Wesley Harding was a friend to the poor. But John Wesley Hardin was an enemy to the letter 'g'.

Brasilia is a little younger than Venice...and in a lot better shape! (Not politically, though.)

Sorry! is just the ancient Indian game of pachisi (or "Parcheesi") in a flimsier and more colorful box.

Prince Philip, the still licensed-to-drive Duke of Edinburgh, was the "Prince of Greece and Denmark" when he married the future Elizabeth II. That geographically unlikely title had been a thing since 1863, when an heir to the Danish throne was chosen by the parliament of Greece to begin a new royal dynasty there.

The Greatest Showman sold more than twice as many copies as the other soundtracks you might have thought of here, like A Star Is Born.

Differential equations have nothing to do with automotive differentials, except that I think I used to understand them both in college and now I don't.

These are all the U.S. presidents born west of the Mississippi--in longitudinal order from west to east.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Over the weekend, LeBron James and Kevin Durant wore jerseys numbered "7" to honor what player from a different sport--who hasn't worn that jersey number in over two years?

2. What was unprecedented about the 1981-82 release of The Visitors, ABBA's final studio album?

3. Which of the 25 districts of Seoul, Korea is home to COEX, the world's largest underground shopping mall?

4. What two-word title is held by the second-in-command on a U.S. Navy vessel?

5. South Africa was, of course, the last white-ruled country in Africa. What country was second to last?

6. What's the only letter of the alphabet that's both a DNA base code and chemical element symbol?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these children's authors? Margaret Wise Brown, Meg Cabot, Lewis Carroll, Louise Fitzhugh, Ezra Jack Keats, Edward Lear, Beatrix Potter, Maurice Sendak, Dr. Seuss, Shel Silverstein.

Enjoy!
Old 05 February 2019, 10:39 AM

1. Over the weekend, LeBron James and Kevin Durant wore jerseys numbered "7" to honor what player from a different sport--who hasn't worn that jersey number in over two years?

Colin Kaepernick
Old 05 February 2019, 10:48 AM

4. What two-word title is held by the second-in-command on a U.S. Navy vessel? Executive Officer, or XO.

6. What's the only letter of the alphabet that's both a DNA base code and chemical element symbol? T.
Old 05 February 2019, 10:52 AM

Baseball

1. I believe that would be Kaepernick.

2. There was no farewell tour associated with it.

3. I don't know the name of a single district in Seoul.

4. Executive Officer, or XO.

5. Rhodesia (or Zimbabwe)

6. I'm spitballing here, but I think it is C

7. Despite their fame being for writing children's books, they all got their start writing material that is offensive to children?

I got 2, up to 4, today.
Old 05 February 2019, 01:38 PM

1. Colin Kapernick.

2. It was the first CD.

3. Don't know.

4. Executive officer.

5. Don't know.

6. C.

7. All got their start writing non-children's literature.
Old 05 February 2019, 01:39 PM

I have no idea who wears what number -- but was it maybe I-can't-think-how-to-spell-his-name-begins-with-a-K who kept right on kneeling?

6. What's the only letter of the alphabet that's both a DNA base code and chemical element symbol?

C.