snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 25 January 2019, 10:48 PM

LA is like a 6 hour drive from here. Also I have tickets to see Come From Away in San Francisco this weekend, which I suppose counts as a little thing that makes me happy.
Old 26 January 2019, 11:56 PM

I've made plans to visit with two old friends in early February. I don't think the three of us have been together since high school, which was nearly 40 years ago.

Also, one of those friends and I are planning a road trip to Colorado Springs to visit her grown niece.
Old 28 January 2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Taking a flight on this venerable old lady:

Hijacking the "happy" thread to lament the fact that this plane (seen here while flying over Hamburg, as she did until last year) will probably have to stay grounded from now one unless a new sponsor is found. Lufthansa just announced that they will stop sponsoring.

Old 28 January 2019, 01:23 PM

Hopefully she won't be sent to the junkers.
Old 29 January 2019, 05:26 AM

Pun aside, she is a registered "flying monument", so even if she won't be flying anymore, she will most likely be kept as a museum piece. Hamburg doesn't have an aviation museum, though, so she might end up somewhere else.
Old 29 January 2019, 03:16 PM

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Pun aside, she is a registered "flying monument", so even if she won't be flying anymore, she will most likely be kept as a museum piece. Hamburg doesn't have an aviation museum, though, so she might end up somewhere else.
Perhaps over here in our Air and Space Museum?
Old 29 January 2019, 03:56 PM

Another one?
Old 30 January 2019, 06:09 AM

It's not that we don't have our own museum dedicated to - among others - air and space.
Old 30 January 2019, 01:12 PM

Don Enrico, that museum is very far away. It would be better to be in a more centralized place, one that is a couple of hours from me, like the Smithsonian. I know, we have one there but if we had TWO we could make them fight or something.
Old 30 January 2019, 03:29 PM

Some local theaters are showing The Wizard of Oz (80th anniversary); tonight is the last night. The timing could not be better, so guess who's going out to dinner and movie for her birthday?
Old 30 January 2019, 05:52 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
The Pima Air and Space Museum would love it, I'm sure.
Old 01 February 2019, 06:19 PM

I just saw 12 cardinals, a blue jay, a smattering of sparrows (none of them Jack), and a couple of...other birds eating seeds around my bird feeder. I occasionally see a cardinal in other times of the year, but in the winter I usually see a lot. However this is a new record.
Old 02 February 2019, 09:37 AM

I finally got around to repairing this busted old garden pond that's been gathering dust in my shed for years. I've had a tin of fibreglass resin waiting to go for ages but I hate the smell of the stuff so much I just kept putting it off over and over.

After I patched all the holes I filled it with water for a day to test that there weren't any leaks and it's ready to go! I've been hoarding water plants in smaller ponds for years so I've got a water lily, an Egyptian papyrus, a whole bunch of duckweed and frogbit and two different kinds of colocasia ready to go. That might be a little ambitious, I may have to leave a few of them out.
Old 04 February 2019, 03:10 PM

I finally bought a car!

I've been on the fence about a Mazda 3 or 6 vs. a Prius for... maybe a year now? My 3 priorities, other than cost, were fuel efficiency/small carbon footprint, sunroof, and red paint. That narrowed the field and raised the price considerably; sunroofs are usually only available on the mid-level or higher trim packages, and even red paint can cost $300 or so extra. A sunroof also adds weight, as do all the other accessories it comes packaged with, which tends to reduce fuel efficiency; it also cuts down on headroom in an already small car. I really wanted to be a good lil' treehugger, but as I did more research I became increasingly concerned about hybrid batteries and wondered whether the increased fuel efficiency was worth it. None of the plug-in options met my needs/wants. And I'm just not crazy about the look of the Prius, which seems like a small thing, but damnit, I'm going to be looking at it almost every day for 10-20 years until it falls apart, because that's how I roll: buy new, sell to the junkyard. I love the shape of the Mazdas, and the shade of red they make; I've been doing the creepy old man full-body turn-and-leer every time I pass one.

Now I own one! What sealed it for me was realizing I ought to get a hatchback for scuba gear, and learning the Prius doesn't make hatchbacks with sunroofs. It was kind of a relief. My plans yesterday were unexpectedly canceled due to weather, so I found the one remaining 2018 model with the exact options I wanted in LA County (incredibly, the 2019s aren't out yet!), offered them the Truecar market average, accepted their counteroffer of $300 more since I wasn't financing, and was in and out in less than 3 hours including the test drive. (Worth $300 to me just to get out so fast!)

It. Is. So. Fun! To! Drive! And it doesn't rattle or smell like glue, like the car I've been driving (told you I drive 'em into the ground!) And it's so gorgeous I just want to keep staring at it, possibly while murmuring "my precious!"
Old 04 February 2019, 03:16 PM

Do new cars require pics to prevent 'sploding?
Old 04 February 2019, 03:37 PM

Only if they are Ford Pintos.
Old 04 February 2019, 04:55 PM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Now I own one! What sealed it for me was realizing I ought to get a hatchback...
You forgot to tell us whether you got the Mazda3 or the 6, but I'm assuming the 3 since you said it's a hatchback and I don't think they make a hatchback version of the 6.

Quote:
It. Is. So. Fun! To! Drive!
Yeah, I've heard that Mazda has figured out how to make a small, economical car that really feels like a sports car. I kind of regret not trying harder to find a Mazda3 instead of settling for the Corolla I ended up buying, but I wanted a manual transmission and was only looking at used cars, and used cars with manual transmissions are hard to find.

I'm usually the sort of person who drives cars into the ground, too, but I have pretty much made up my mind that I'm just going to go full on sports car and buy a Miata in maybe a year or so. I'm just getting kind of bored with the Corolla and I want something more fun to drive, and everyone who's owned one says they're an absolute blast to drive, even if they're not particularly fast.

Sorry to hijack the discussion away from your new car, but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to have a car as impractical as a Miata as one's only car. But I don't have kids so having to drive other people around isn't a concern, I live someplace with nice weather most of the year, and it just seems needlessly extravagant to have two cars when there's only one of me. But when I mentioned this on a another site most commenters recommended against having a Miata as my only car, saying I might end up getting buyer's remorse and wanting something more practical, and instead recommended keeping the Corolla and buying an older Miata as a "weekend" car.
Old 04 February 2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Do new cars require pics to prevent 'sploding?
Well, it is awfully cute, so out of an abundance of caution...

ETA: WildaBeast, no need to apologize! Yes, it's a 3, because you are correct; the 6 doesn't come with a hatchback. I wanted automatic as I'm too stoopid to drive stick. And yes, it really feels like a luxury car. My mom bought a new hybrid Toyota Avalon with all the bells and whistles 6 years ago when she gave me this old '97 I've been driving, and I think my new car's interior looks and feels nicer at barely over half the price.

I'm not that familiar with the Miata. I drooled over one in the showroom, but I knew it would be too small for me. I regularly take a carload of co-workers to lunch, and one of the reasons I rejected the Prius Prime out of hand was that it had no middle seat. The 3 is going to be a squeeze too for that purpose, but fine for short trips. My husband and I, both tall but slim, buckled ourselves into the backseat of both the 3 and the 6. We were quite comfortable in the 6 even with the salesperson in there too; in the 3 there was room for 3 butts but our shoulders overlapped, and his head is flush with the roof when he's in the middle seat. (He's 6'2, and like most men sits tall; I'm 4.5 inches shorter but with the same inseam.) I think there's a tiny bit more rear headroom in the hatchback than the sedan.

How often do you take more than one passenger? Do none of those passengers have appropriate vehicles? Do you have ZipCar or a similar service near you? Can you afford to rent a bigger car or pay for delivery when you need something big? I think a lot of child-free folks without equipment-intensive hobbies could get away with a 2-seater as their only car, especially if there's a bit of extra money in the bank just in case an unexpected need arises.

Last edited by Esprise Me; 04 February 2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04 February 2019, 05:42 PM

I'm so jealous! I had a Mazda3, it got totalled and I replaced it with a Subaru Legacy out of a desire to have one AWD vehicle in the family. I regret getting the Subaru so much, and I'm counting down the payments until I can get a 3 again. (I also want a stick, and I think they will get rarer and rarer, so I want to get one soon.) The Subaru is so boring to drive. Ugh.

Congratulations! It's beautiful.
Old 04 February 2019, 05:46 PM

Thanks! Rumor has it the new 2019 Mazda 3 will have an AWD option, and will keep the manual option too...