snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 25 January 2019, 11:26 PM

Someone did link the other day on Facebook (I think) a Rachel Maddow piece, theorizing that Trump's whole motive for the shutdown (or at least a fringe benefit) is to destroy the FBI. The reason is that the Bureau maintains a credit watch on agents, since those in financial trouble are considered an increased security risk. Stop paying them for a few months, they get into credit trouble, they end up getting suspended, etc.

Not buying it here.
Old 25 January 2019, 11:30 PM

What I saw was speculation of it being an attempt to interfere with the Mueller investigation.
Old 26 January 2019, 01:25 PM

I actually doubt it's anything more complicated than Trump wanting to be able to say that he's getting his wall built. The Democrats weren't cooperating; and he thought this would force them to do so.

All his life until now, I think, if he yelled loud enough he got what he wanted; and he probably never noticed that this doesn't work on everybody, because there was always somebody else who was willing to step in and do whatever it was, because money.

Now he's a big fish in a pond full of other big fish; and he can't just go around them and get his wall built by some little fish he's got leverage over. I think he'll try that next, in the form of his "national emergency"; but I expect that to get tied up in the courts long enough so that, with any luck at all, even if he wins construction won't get started before he's out of office. Or after that, either.
Old 26 January 2019, 09:50 PM

You're probably right. He's made it abundantly clear that complex things confuse him, and his instinctive response to being confused is to lash out.
Old 26 January 2019, 10:04 PM

He's also predisposed to underestimate Nancy Pelosi -- and would (will?) continue to do so no matter how many times she mops the floor with him, I'm guessing.
Old 26 January 2019, 10:17 PM

And I expect Pelosi is entirely aware of that; and is both using it, and chortling up her sleeve about it, though without letting the chortle show.

Look at that public meeting -- it apparently never occured to Trump that he, not Pelosi, might be the one looking like a fool on camera.
Old 27 January 2019, 02:39 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I actually doubt it's anything more complicated than Trump wanting to be able to say that he's getting his wall built. The Democrats weren't cooperating; and he thought this would force them to do so.

All his life until now, I think, if he yelled loud enough he got what he wanted; and he probably never noticed that this doesn't work on everybody, because there was always somebody else who was willing to step in and do whatever it was, because money.

Now he's a big fish in a pond full of other big fish; and he can't just go around them and get his wall built by some little fish he's got leverage over. I think he'll try that next, in the form of his "national emergency"; but I expect that to get tied up in the courts long enough so that, with any luck at all, even if he wins construction won't get started before he's out of office. Or after that, either.
Thatís pretty much Trump in a nutshell. He is Privilege personified. He has never had to be smart, hardworking, or possess any positive traits, because society is structured to not only keep him rich, but make him richer. Trump has spent his whole life getting what he wants by kicking and screaming, because it was made clear early on that this was how things work, and he stuck with it, because it worked. This is the first time in his life where this hasnít worked, where he has been denied something. For the first time, he has to make his case to get what he wants, unlike all his previous years, where the fact he wanted it, was enough to get it.

Iíd wonder if him deciding to end the shutdown is because it finally occurred to him what might happen if all those federal employees go too long without paychecks and get desperate. If it was, Iíd finally be able to attribute a base level of cunning to Trump, but it feels like a stretch.

PRO TIP to Trump and co.: the US is currently experiencing massive wealthy inequalities the likes that havenít seen since pre-Revolutionary France. But donít worry: everything totally worked out for the nobility and everyone lived happily ever after.