snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 22 January 2019, 09:00 PM

Glasses

I'm a left eyed, right handed (can write left handed), number 7.

Also, I can only talk on the phone using my left hand and holding either the cell or receiver to my left ear. It just feels wrong to do it any other way.

One thing I find interesting is that my best friends through childhood till now all are, or should have been left handed.

Morning
Old 22 January 2019, 11:13 PM

I'm right-eyed and left-handed and also a number seven.

And I tend to swap the phone between hands when I'm talking on it. Usually I start left hand/left ear, then go to right hand/right ear, then back and forth for a while as whichever hand gets tired.
Old 23 January 2019, 01:58 PM

Glasses

I'm left-handed, and use a mouse with my right hand, because when I learned to use a mouse, keyboard shortcuts were often much easier than mousing, and this left my dominant hand to do the keyboard shortcuts.

Another random factoid about me is that I love the qwerty keyboard because most of the most common letters are under the left hand.

Seaboe
Old 23 January 2019, 05:51 PM

I use the mouse right-handed as well, in part because mice are almost always stuck on the right side of the computer and set up for right-handed use (and that's not getting into ergonomic mice). So when I learned how to use a mouse there really wasn't another option.
Old 23 January 2019, 06:12 PM

I moused right-handed for years, despite being left-handed, because I'd learned to mouse on other people's computer. But I recently switched to using my left hand because of the bursitis pain in my right shoulder.
Old 23 January 2019, 06:17 PM

Baseball

I haven't written an "x" like the examples in years. Once I learned how to write an x, I adopted that method. In high school, it kept my multiplication and my variables separate. Then, I adopted the dot for multiplication, eliminating the crossed lines altogether.

But, if I were to draw an x as listed, it would be model number 7.
Old 23 January 2019, 11:40 PM

UEL, I would have thought that being in the Artillery, you would have need to mark a location on a map and we all know that "X" marks the spot.
Old 23 January 2019, 11:43 PM

I don't understand the distinction UEL is making. His two examples look like an uppercase and a lowercase x, respectively.
Old 23 January 2019, 11:49 PM

All his (Exes live in Texas..) x's look lower case to me on my computer. But what I think he is saying is that the only time he used x or X was as a symbol for multiplication but then he switched to using a dot for that symbol and therefore hasn't used an x or X since then although I contend he must have.

Please see https://www.dictionary.com/browse/multiplication-sign if I'm not clear.
Old 23 January 2019, 11:51 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
I have always been a #7 man myself. I just don't trust those who are not, and don't want them living near me, or near susceptible children. I am not prejudiced or anything, I just think they are evil, scummy people who should be rounded up and shot. But humanely.
I read this to my father. He stands with you.
Old 24 January 2019, 12:36 AM

Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
All his (Exes live in Texas..) x's look lower case to me on my computer. But what I think he is saying is that the only time he used x or X was as a symbol for multiplication but then he switched to using a dot for that symbol and therefore hasn't used an x or X since then although I contend he must have.

Please see https://www.dictionary.com/browse/multiplication-sign if I'm not clear.
I’m a fan of parentheses myself. As in 5(6)=30. Not to be confused with f(x)=2x-3, which can be understood to refer to a function of x (specifically a line with a slope of two and an x-intercept of 1.5) rather than the factor of f by x equaling 2x-3.
Old 24 January 2019, 02:46 AM

Baseball

Quote:
UEL, I would have thought that being in the Artillery, you would have need to mark a location on a map and we all know that "X" marks the spot.
I found situations where I do use crosses. See example below. And targets are either marked as a cross (often with a dot) or a triangle. For example,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I don't understand the distinction UEL is making. His two examples look like an uppercase and a lowercase x, respectively.
See below for the alphabet. The 'x' (among other letters) was how I learned to write. This is the same way I still use my letter x. The only difference is that I rarely do it in one line. I usually do the first swoop (backwards 'c'), lift the pen and then do the second swoop.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. In this case, it is worth one letter.

Quote:
But what I think he is saying is that the only time he used x or X was as a symbol for multiplication but then he switched to using a dot for that symbol and therefore hasn't used an x or X since then although I contend he must have.
Indeed. From about Grade 9 onwards, I did my multiplication symbols like this:

Below is very similar to the alphabet that I learned to write (my grandfather was Dutch and my Mom taught me handwriting).

This is where I realised today that I make 'X' marks. I use them marking maps for Brigade and Division markings. Not exactly letters, per se, as the other symbols are lines and dots. But I do use them.

Old 24 January 2019, 10:51 AM

I've just discovered something about myself today, after tracing a load of x's in the air with my finger and looking like the world's most ineffectual conductor.

I write the letter 'x' in the number 7 style, starting left to right from the top. This seems to be consistent whether the x is at the end of a word, the start or just on its own. However, I write the multiplication symbol 'x' in the number 8 style, starting right to left from the top. The result looks identical but for some inexplicable reason I flip the way I do it depending on whether I'm spelling or multiplying!
Old 24 January 2019, 12:45 PM

Icon19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I've just discovered something about myself today, after tracing a load of x's in the air with my finger and looking like the world's most ineffectual conductor.

Hmmm, try sticking your finger in a light bulb socket--that will tell you how good a conductor you are!
Old 24 January 2019, 02:08 PM

Glasses

Re the alphabet UEL posted--that's how I write most (internally or at the end of the words) of my lowercase Ts. I find that whether they come out looking like a t or a d depends on the letter that precedes them.

UEL, do you make your Ts like that? Because I've never met anyone else who does so.

Seaboe
Old 24 January 2019, 03:15 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
UEL, do you make your Ts like that? Because I've never met anyone else who does so.

Seaboe
I certainly do. However, they are rarely as neat as that. My "cross" tends to extend further left to cross the upstroke and the main part of the letter.

For most of my hand writing, an upper case letter is the same as a printed letter, except the J and X as well as sometimes the D and S.

For lower case, this is my alphabet except the b and r (which are very similar to printed letters). Oh, and I don't dot my y.

Old 24 January 2019, 03:41 PM

Several of those letters look like nothing I'm used to. The upper case I looks like a J to me.

On the other hand, I was taught and still write a capital F that seems to be highly unusual. -- I just went through a whole page of google images and couldn't find it; this one is closest but isn't the same one -- mine doesn't have a cross piece, the top loop is closed and enlongated, and the bottom of the letter has another smaller closed loop which curves toward the next letter in the word so you don't have to lift your pen. The one I use doesn't look at all like a printed or typed F, but it is massively easier to write in cursive than any of the ones that I do find.

And, which now strikes me as odd since I now know how uncommon it is, it never seems to cause confusion. Maybe people are figuring it out from the context -- "five" on a check, say, isn't going to start with any other letter, really.
Old 24 January 2019, 09:03 PM

This is what I was taught for the first three years of school.

As you can probably see, the lowercase X is some bizarre creation that for some reason is only taught in that state. At least it looks like an X, unlike that form the uppercase G takes in American Cursive.
Old 03 February 2019, 01:16 PM

Forget X... what about N?

Quote:
Just when you thought it was over, Twitter pulls you back in.
Handwriting is about as personal as it gets, so why do we tend to think that every one does it the same way we do?
Maybe because the way you write letters feels so instinctive that any other method seems unnatural.
But as the debate over how people write the letter "X" showed last week, everyone has their own way of doing it.
Now the debate has moved over to "N," after German comedian and comic writer Chaz Hutton asked people about it on Twitter. The number of different ways people can write one letter may surprise you once again.

https://www.comicsands.com/the-press...627376943.html

I do version A, a single line starting at the bottom left.
Old 03 February 2019, 02:04 PM

I can't see most of them; all I can see is C.

What's interesting is that, presuming we're talking about a capital printed N, C is what I do -- but C is also a single line starting at the bottom left, isn't it? or do they mean that C involves picking up the pen/pencil when you hit the bottom right, and then putting it right back down in basically the same spot? I don't see why you'd do that, at least unless you were using a quill and needed to dip more ink.