snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 17 December 2018, 07:02 PM

I've always had a soft spot for O Holy Night.

Love Mannheim Steamroller's Latin "Veni, Veni, Emanual".

Christmas Jug Band's "Santa Lost a Ho"

But it isn't Christmas until you've heard Stan Freeberg's "Green Chri$tma$"
Old 18 December 2018, 12:22 AM

My new favorite Christmas carol can be heard near the end of the credits of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Thanks to Parker for utterly selling out!
Old 18 December 2018, 01:23 AM

I was just thining about listing that.
Old 18 December 2018, 01:53 AM

I'm particularly fond of "The Night Santa Went Crazy."
Old 18 December 2018, 02:20 AM

Mouse

I like some of the more melancholy hymns, the ones that acknowledge, “Y’know sometimes this time of year really sucks.” It’s a nice counterpoint, since the Christmas season, at times, it feels like the culture keeps beating you like a cudgel with the message of “Be Happy, Be Happy!”

WWII songs like “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” and “I’ll Be Home For Christmas” are a nice breath of fresh air, because some years, all you really can do is try to make the best of things and hope that things are better next year.

Though with “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas,” I only like Judy Garland’s version. I will never forgive Frank Sinatra for changing the line “Until then, we’ll have to muddle through somehow.” The song was perfect, because some years all you really can do is muddle through.

And despite the fact that it is attempted by too many people who don’t have the range or the talent, I still love “O Holy Night.” Wikipedia has an article on the song and while it may be a standard part of the holiday repertoire today, I wonder if its lyrics were considered radical at the time. The antebellum South would probably take offense at some of the lines, I’m just saying.

And this thread wouldn’t feel complete without xkcd’s cartoon on Christmas songs.
Old 18 December 2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I was just thining about listing that.
I just read that some of the songs on that "album" have actually been recorded.
Old 18 December 2018, 12:30 PM

That is a beautiful thing, Crius.
Mouse, the XKCD comic is great. My BabyBoomer MIL and I have a lot of debates over how much this country is shaped to please the Boomers, and if that is a good thing.
I think that people don't really pay attention to a lot of the carols we sing, since people think I'll be Home for Christmas is a happy song, and people in the old South wouldn't have gotten what was being said in O Holy Night, since their slaves were DIFFERENT, practically part of the family, and had been freed from the horrors of not being Christian, by being brought here!
Old 18 December 2018, 10:47 PM

How about The Sonics for Christmas?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7XJUeHWePw
Old 19 December 2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Gotta love everything Freberg but it's even funnier when you think of all the ads he wrote and produced.
Old 21 December 2018, 04:13 PM

Icon06

Associations can make a difference. I was more-or-less indifferent to "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," until they sang it on the South Park Christmas special. Why? Because that was broadcast only days after the suicide of Mary Kay Bergman, who had, up to that point, voiced virtually every female character on the show, including in the songs sung on that album (and in South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut, which won her an Annie award). As that song was sung near the end of the episode, when they sing the line, "Through the years we all will be together/if the fates allow..." there is a brief moment where you see many of the regular characters she voiced gathered silently near the Christmas tree. It was a very brief, but for me very moving, tribute. (Her suicide happened to hit me hard for various personal reasons.)

So, since then, that song can get me a little choked up...particularly when I think of friends I don't see often (it at all) any more, and those who have passed on. Damned fates.
Old 21 December 2018, 09:26 PM

Icon106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Though with “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas,” I only like Judy Garland’s version. I will never forgive Frank Sinatra for changing the line “Until then, we’ll have to muddle through somehow.” [/URL]
I also dislike that change, but it was my understanding that Judy herself requested that change, since she knew she'd have to sing it again many times after the movie came out, and thought the original lyrics too depressing. But I have no source for this memory. Edit: other than Wikipedia, that is, and it seems Frank did request that change, but Judy had made them change other lyrics earlier.
Old 22 December 2018, 12:46 AM

The trivia night company I work for has been doing a lot of Christmas/End Of Year functions for various companies this week so I made sure I had a fair bit of Christmas music:

16 hours worth, no repeats.
Old 24 December 2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Here's a nice essay about that track (it's not really a "song" but kind of a micro-musical), including the negative reaction it got from the business world at the time -- including the prediction that Freberg would never work in advertising again, which is about on a par with the famous prediction that 640K of computer memory ought to be plenty for anyone. (Also includes a link to the track on YouTube.)

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...0v8kNeUAvAOARs
Old 25 December 2018, 04:10 AM

Interesting! Thanks EQT. My best present yet this year

Another favorite is the Pogues' Fairytale of New York.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jbdgZidu8