snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 19 December 2018, 02:42 PM

Glasses

Blatherskite,
For over 20 years, my sister had a party for Santa Lucia day (Dec. 13). She baked like crazy for it, and some of the guests brought baked goods as well, but no one ever reciprocated in terms of holiday parties (or even dinner parties). So she stopped doing it. I'm sure people noticed, but no friendships were ruined over it.

Seaboe
Old 20 December 2018, 06:29 PM

Last weekend I paid $3.99 to stream I, Tonya. Today I discovered it was available to watch for free on my flight. I blame Delta for not having an all inclusive list of what movies are available on their flights on their website, at least not that I could find. Instead they only listed a couple of “featured” movies.
Old 20 December 2018, 06:54 PM

Tantrum

I blame Nancy Kerrigan, for not being able to take a hit. Am I right?
Old 20 December 2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Last weekend I paid $3.99 to stream I, Tonya. Today I discovered it was available to watch for free on my flight. I blame Delta for not having an all inclusive list of what movies are available on their flights on their website, at least not that I could find. Instead they only listed a couple of “featured” movies.
Watched that the other day for the first time. Brilliant film.
Old 21 December 2018, 06:28 PM

I found out today that the friend I thought hadn't sent me so much as a Christmas card has, in fact, sent a present.

So my last first world problem got even more first worldly: I was upset because I didn't get a present early enough!
Old 24 December 2018, 09:50 PM

My internet connection (along with my landline phones) was out for three days. And the radio stations have apparently stopped giving decent weather reports; I had to dig out my old weather radio, which only comes in if you stand in the right spot upstairs holding it at just the right angle (I'm just about halfway between two broadcasting areas, and if you get the wrong angle it may give an unintelligible hash made up of both stations.)

Anybody miss me?
Old 24 December 2018, 10:00 PM

Yes. Glad you're okay.
Old 25 December 2018, 05:07 AM

Glad you came back!
Old 25 December 2018, 05:28 AM

Last week my computer started rebooting at random points. The first few times I was playing Overwatch; so, I made sure my video card drivers were up to date, then completely uninstalled the game and BattleNet and re-downloaded and installed it. Worked OK for a day or two, then crashed again. Then it crashed another time when I was *not* gaming. Ran virus and malware scans; nothing. Checked Windows Update and found that it was having trouble installing the most recent update; tried a few troubleshooting options with no luck. So, came home from work this afternoon, figuring I would do a system restore to a point before I stated having issues.

Instead, found that the computer wouldn't power up at all. Checked the relevant cables and switches; nothing. Plugged into a different power strip; no good. Decided not to worry about it till after a nap. A few hours later, the machine powered itself up for no apparent reason, then shut down again; and repeated this a little later, only shutting off faster.

So now it's unplugged and I'm not sure what to do. Seems more likely to be a hardware issue; but what exactly? Need to check the warranty status, but even if I'm still covered, I am *really* not thrilled about the idea of shipping it back to the manufacturer. Guess actually buying a pre-assembled machine for once instead of building my own was not a complete panacea against these kinds of problems. *sigh*
Old 25 December 2018, 04:02 PM

Thanks, crocoduck_hunter and ganzfeld.

Still functional this morning; though only one of my phones seems to be working. That may be a problem on my end, though -- there are assorted wires strewn all around the inside and outside of the house, and some are quite old. I think a connection or two may have worked loose; and anything after it leaves the outdoor box is my responsibility.

In general, my internet connection's unreliable; and the provider takes their time about fixing any problems. Unfortunately, my only alternate choice also has a terrible reputation, so I don't think there's any sense in switching.
Old 25 December 2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Last week my computer started rebooting at random points. The first few times I was playing Overwatch; so, I made sure my video card drivers were up to date, then completely uninstalled the game and BattleNet and re-downloaded and installed it. Worked OK for a day or two, then crashed again. Then it crashed another time when I was *not* gaming. Ran virus and malware scans; nothing. Checked Windows Update and found that it was having trouble installing the most recent update; tried a few troubleshooting options with no luck. So, came home from work this afternoon, figuring I would do a system restore to a point before I stated having issues.

Instead, found that the computer wouldn't power up at all. Checked the relevant cables and switches; nothing. Plugged into a different power strip; no good. Decided not to worry about it till after a nap. A few hours later, the machine powered itself up for no apparent reason, then shut down again; and repeated this a little later, only shutting off faster.

So now it's unplugged and I'm not sure what to do. Seems more likely to be a hardware issue; but what exactly? Need to check the warranty status, but even if I'm still covered, I am *really* not thrilled about the idea of shipping it back to the manufacturer. Guess actually buying a pre-assembled machine for once instead of building my own was not a complete panacea against these kinds of problems. *sigh*
In my absolutely unprofessional (but somewhat experienced) opinion, it sounds like it could be the power supply. If so, and if your computer is a desktop computer, it can be replaced fairly easily and relatively inexpensively - and possibly upgraded somewhat to a higher wattage system, just in case your components are stressing the current one.

Not 100% sure how to test this out to make sure it is the power supply without actually replacing it, though. Probably someone else here on the boards knows better.
Old 25 December 2018, 09:53 PM

After reading a few reviews of That movie because I wanted to know if it was worth forking over 20 bucks for a seat at the cinema, I decided that, even though the reviews were mostly good, I wouldn't like it. (The bad reviews made me go: Wait, what??) Now the news aggregator thinks it's all I want to hear about. Interviews! Trailers! More back story that doesn't add anything that wasn't in ten previous articles! Details about the special effects! More interviews repeating the same stuff! I finally had to find the little button that says "less of this". Yes, less please.
Old 25 December 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
In my absolutely unprofessional (but somewhat experienced) opinion, it sounds like it could be the power supply.
I concur with the power supply theory if only because that’s what it was when my computer had the same symptoms. I don’t know how to test it though; I just took a guess and replaced it and the problem went away.
Old 25 December 2018, 11:39 PM

First cheap thing to try for your computer is to blow the dust out. Dirt build up can cause power supply problems.
Old 26 December 2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
First cheap thing to try for your computer is to blow the dust out. Dirt build up can cause power supply problems.
Oh, absolutely! And you've just reminded me I have to plan to do that for all of our department's computers in about 2 weeks. Ugh, AND all of the portable radio batteries have to be switched out, too.
Old 26 December 2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
After reading a few reviews of That movie because I wanted to know if it was worth forking over 20 bucks for a seat at the cinema, I decided that, even though the reviews were mostly good, I wouldn't like it. (The bad reviews made me go: Wait, what??) Now the news aggregator thinks it's all I want to hear about. Interviews! Trailers! More back story that doesn't add anything that wasn't in ten previous articles! Details about the special effects! More interviews repeating the same stuff! I finally had to find the little button that says "less of this". Yes, less please.
What movie?
Old 26 December 2018, 05:40 AM

I'll give the dust suggestion a try, though I've had far dustier computers that never had this problem. I kind of hope it *is* the power supply, as I know they are both fairly easy to replace and relatively inexpensive. Not quite so inexpensive though that I'm wiling to just run out and buy one and try it without a bit more certainty. (Hmm, though it could be worthwhile to try using the one from my last machine, which probably isn't quite big enough to run this one efficiently, but if it could make it boot up at all, that might be an indicator.)
Old 26 December 2018, 08:46 AM

Icon106

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
What movie?
Well, I didn't want to get into the whole thing about it but since you ask it's the movie about Freddie Mercury. Sounds more like a parody music biopic to me. We have footage of the real thing so I see any point of watching it for the performance, even though I do like the cast. I'm sure we'll get around to renting it on DVD some other year.
Old 26 December 2018, 09:58 AM

I think most of the bad reviews tend to come from the standpoint of “This movie isn’t the one that I wanted them to make”

Whilst the positive reviews review it for what it actually is!
Old 26 December 2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
only one of my phones seems to be working. That may be a problem on my end, though -- there are assorted wires strewn all around the inside and outside of the house, and some are quite old. I think a connection or two may have worked loose
The downstairs phone line has mysteriously fixed itself.

The weather is dryer, which may or may not have something to do with it. I suspect I should still plan on replacing that line at some point.