snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 06 March 2018, 08:11 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
But keep in mind that not everyone in the Great White North is equally prepared to handle a "dump" of one meter of snow. Everyone here remembers the time that Torontah had to call in the army to help clear the streets...
I was in that army.

I would submit that 1 metre in the Maritimes, where it happens at least once annually, or the mountains of BC, is much less a shock than 1 metre in southern Ontario, or definitely in Vancouver.

I am ready for the winter to end. Expecting 25-30 cm on Thursday with potentially another 15 by Sunday.
Old 06 March 2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Beachlife, congratulations to your daughter and Adolph. Mao?
Adolph was the first one to come to my mind as well, particularly since so many Nazis fled to South America after the war.

Or if we're talking Latin American dictators, Augusto Pinochet was the first one I thought of.
Old 06 March 2018, 10:15 PM

Congratulations Beachlife, Beachlife's Daughter and -- Donald?
Old 07 March 2018, 06:31 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Literally is used correctly, but have is not--you mean half, I assume.

My question is--did they actually mail out the final checks they promised?
Yeah, half. Stupid autocorrect.

Oh, I gave my security guard all kinds of legal advice about his wife's paycheck-like they're having to send it and her W-2s and gave him this link: https://www.employmentlawhandbook.co...-laws/arizona/
Old 07 March 2018, 12:46 PM

Rin, the high-strung tortie, had a bad morning today. She even hissed at my daughter.
Old 07 March 2018, 02:05 PM

Glasses

I am driving to Kent this morning, to work at the Western Processing Site (because it was a good place to have a lot of boxes delivered for relabeling before they're sent into storage). I remember the first time I went there, when there were big scary signs saying "Stop! Superfund Site! No Admittance!" Even then, all the interesting stuff was over, and the site was just a wide green field next to the river.

Seaboe
Old 08 March 2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I would say that you got more than a glimpse.
Well yes, it was the worst I've seen here in all of my life. Records in some places had to go back over 70 years for a precedent.
Quote:
Every house here is equipped to move or displace snow (snowblowers, shovels, salt, teenagers etc), not every house in Ireland is.
This made me chuckle too. We used to have teenagers - they might have been useful this week. But more likely they would have gone up the mountain snowboarding, as they did most winters here when we had just a few inches of snow.
Quote:
The knowledge that if you were really, really stuck, your neighbours and friends would do everything they could to help you out.
Indeed. Most of my neighbours got out on Sunday and dug each other's cars out so we could all go back to work on Monday. A reawakening of our community for sure. We all had a few beers later in the local centre afterwards, swapping memories and anecdotes.
Quote:
That makes you have had more than a glimpse of what it's like elsewhere.
Next winter, you are more than welcome to come my way to experience winter
Not a chance. You're welcome to visit my apartment in southern Spain next winter, where it's almost always summer.
Old 08 March 2018, 12:54 AM

SNOW DAY EPIPHANY: (This is apparently what happens when my brain isn't occupied by my daily duties as a music teacher.)

We know that Lin-Manuel Miranda is in the new Mary Poppins movie. While I love all things LMM, I thought it was a bit of a weird fit, and then it hit me: Dick Van Dyke totally drops a triplet flow break in the middle of "Jolly Holiday" (right before the penguin dance). Mind=blown. (Starts at 4:55 in the video. For some reason I can't get the "start at" function to work when embedding.)

Old 08 March 2018, 06:55 AM

I'm up for a promotion at work, and my biggest competitor just withdrew her application. The position would come with a substantial pay raise and involve new responsibilities that I'm excited but also terrified at the prospect of taking on. (I'd be handling major trials with expert witness testimony, which I've done a little bit of, and emergency writs, which I've done absolutely none of.) Now that it looks like a real possibility, I'm psyching myself out, wondering what made me think I was qualified for this. Stupid brain. You recognize Impostor Syndrome yet you can't seem to do anything useful with that information!
Old 08 March 2018, 09:44 AM

Tantrum

I've been doing a lot of heavy, heavy, cleaning. DD, and her Dh have let their house spiral into something worse than hoarders. He thinks all he needs to do is work his job (yes physical and taxing) and she gets overwhelmed with 4 kids (she also had surgery that prevented her from bending, twisting, or lifting over 10lbs, for six weeks (guess who got to take care of the baby while her DH was at work at night?) and anxiety kicks in, annnd they are both addicted to some sort of battle themed online game. They got a large tax refund and offered me $200.00 to clean the house (I said make it $300.00 and she agreed. I'm way undercharging them), and now they're taking us to Pentatonix in Sept. squeee!! that makes it a bit more even. Anyway, I asked DH if he'd help me. Now I've been in their house frequently; I know it's a hot mess, and have refused for over a year to babysit there because...ugh. It was/is more than I even imagined. My grand kids nor my kids should be living that way.

Anyway, I was so sore and achy after two marathon days of cleaning up old clothes,trash, garbage, pop cans (many full of cigarette butts - won't be returning those), sorting and tossing toys, ect. that I took a Tramadol tonight. I am now wide awake at almost 5:30 am and have been since 3:00. That stuff makes me wake up in the middle of the night, it also makes me itchy. To top it off DH and I will be returning to finish up tomorrow...erm today. We're down to the floors and counters now, and it's time to scrub, mop, vacuum, etc. They have a plumber coming in because when they moved in as soon as the water was turned on the pipes upstairs burst. Recently the hot water stopped working downstairs. DH is responsible for the plumber coming so soon. I was hoping for early next week, but noooo, he sees the guy at bowling and sets it up for Friday. I took two vacation days off work plus my normal days to have four to get it done. Sigh.

I've warned her that it better not get that bad again. I don't want to threaten social services (and I probably wouldn't do it anyway) but seriously it's really bad. More than likely I'll step in again if it gets out of hand again. I'm 59, my job is very physical and taking a toll on my body. They really don't seem to understand how difficult this is for DH and me (he's disabled with a number of physical problems). She is going to be 27 this year and is so dependent on me that I almost think she was easier as an infant. Sheesh.

My dermatologist told me the Lican Planus was caused by stress. No wonder.

TL;dr: I'm sore, tired, can't sleep and have a ton of cleaning to do tomorrow, oops today.
Old 08 March 2018, 10:53 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Yeah, half. Stupid autocorrect.

Oh, I gave my security guard all kinds of legal advice about his wife's paycheck-like they're having to send it and her W-2s and gave him this link: https://www.employmentlawhandbook.co...-laws/arizona/
Oooohhh. Update: they're trying to cheat her out of her unused PTO and they never mailed her her 2017 W-2s. She has contacted the State Labor Board.
Old 08 March 2018, 01:31 PM

There was a knife attack in Vienna, Austria yesterday and now my Mom is fretting because one of the grandchildren is visiting family in England. My mother was a world traveler in her day, she knows England and Austria aren't exactly right next door but she's still fretting. My brother, seeking to be helpful, pointed out that Ottawa has been having more than it's usual share of knife and gun violence lately so maybe Mom should be worrying more about the grandchildren still at home. This did not end well .
Old 08 March 2018, 08:28 PM

France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
This did not end well .
Sorry to say, but the UK has had its own share of attacks, and they didn't even involve knives. We were considering to go to Nice this weekend, and decided against because of the timing. Might go later this year.
Old 09 March 2018, 01:52 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Dick Van Dyke totally drops a triplet flow break in the middle of "Jolly Holiday" (right before the penguin dance).
The video wouldn't play for me (it just continued to show the picture from the album cover). What is a triplet flow break?

Seaboe
Old 09 March 2018, 02:10 PM

Teacher

I'll just copy what I wrote when a Facebook friend asked the same question (please forgive the excess pedantry; this friend had a few specific terminology questions):

Ahem.* (Putting on mortarboard and picking up pointer as he walks to the blackboard.) "Flow" is a term used to describe the predominant rhythmic patterns in rap; "machine gun flow," as one might imagine, uses rapid-fire delivery, typically in sixteenth notes. "Triplet flow" uses a triplet (or 12/8, depending on the interpretation) pattern, and has been very popular in contemporary rap. A "break" is simply a part of a song that interrupts the regular pattern of the song with new material (most often a "drum break;" it's where "breakdancing" got its name - from dancers performing over looped "break beats" sampled from other songs.) In a primarily sung song, a rap solo may sometimes be referred to as a break, especially if the instrumentation becomes more spare (i.e., mainly percussion). Lin-Manuel Miranda is known for using triplet flow extensively (and for being extremely clever in his execution) - it shows up all over the place in Hamilton; Neil Patrick Harris delivers a Miranda-penned triplet flow break in his 2013 Tony Awards opening; Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has one in "You're Welcome" from Disney's Moana (again written by Miranda). In "Jolly Holiday," which had been sung melodically up to that point, Dick Van Dyke (as "Bert") has a rhythmic spoken section beginning "It's true that Mavis and Sybil have ways that are winning..." in a 12/8 or triplet feel, contrasting the rest of the song which is more thickly scored and sung in swing 4/4 rhythm. "Drop" is just a bit of hip-hop slang for "perform," as in "drop a verse" or "drop some bars." Therefore, Dick Van Dyke can be said to drop a triplet flow rap break in "Jolly Holiday," Q.E.D.
Old 09 March 2018, 02:37 PM

Blow Your Top

I do not follow Stormy Daniels on twitter, but someone in my feed sure does and reposts her.

It's disgusting to see the amount of hate and bile that woman is getting because of what's going on in the US. "Luckily", as an adult entertainer, she seems to have a lot of experience dealing with trolls and hecklers, and she seems very stable, but it just feels wrong to see someone getting called "Scank" (one of the reposted tweets where she corrected the user's spelling) "pig" and other graphic insults and twitter does not react.
Old 22 March 2018, 02:29 AM

I have survived a deranged gunman situation (nearby; I was not at the scene) and probably the fourth snowpocalypse in three weeks (ish). I feel like I deserve some sort of prize.
Old 22 March 2018, 08:28 AM

Unhijackably, I own a desk kalender that has a wrongly attributed quote for each day. Most of them are specific to Germany or are based on untranslatable puns, but I though yesterdays quote might amuse some here:

Quote:
"Run, Forrest, run!"

Peregrin Took, to Treebeard
Old 22 March 2018, 01:52 PM

Glasses

Saw another cool car yesterday, a Plymouth Fury. I thought it was a II, but it looked a lot like this picture, which is a III. My mother had a tomato red (with black interior--bad idea) 1974 Fury II, like this one. It was the one and only car my parents ever ordered (as opposed to chose off the lot). It had a 400 ci engine with a trailer towing package. My BIL always regretted not taking it out somewhere and flooring it.

Seaboe
Old 24 March 2018, 04:11 AM

Things at work have taken quite a turn. Rumors are swirling that my boss, a woman I love and respect and tremendously enjoy working for, and my supervisor, ditto all that plus she's my age and I enjoy socializing with her outside of work, are leaving us to go work for the other side. Deep down I knew it had to be true as soon as I heard--a lot of things suddenly made sense--but tonight a group of us went out to celebrate the firm's fourth anniversary and send off two staff attorneys who are leaving, and one of my colleagues cornered my boss and confronted her with the rumours, which she refused to confirm or deny. So we all know what that means.

I'm devastated. These women were both role models to me, and I feel like I still have so much to learn from them. I'm also freaking out about the position I recently applied for, which is a stretch for me professionally, which it looks like I'm going to get, but for which I never would have applied if I didn't think I'd have my boss to train and support me in learning to do writs and prepare for argument before the appellate court. I just wish I could freeze this moment in time and live here forever.