snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 04 November 2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I think triplets are always triplets, though I think that it might be possible that two of them are identical twins, though I don't know if that has ever happened.
I went to high school with triplets, two of whom were identical twins. We never referred to those two as twins, though, except in the context of explaining the situation.
Old 04 November 2016, 02:49 PM

Icon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
So is "drink like a lush" only American, or even only in parts of America? I keep forgetting not all English expressions are used by the English, or the other colonists.
I got called a "lush" once (I was about 21) by a woman from Brooklyn. I assume it is short for "luscious", and so I was flattered. Do those of us who are particularly good-looking have a reputation for holding our drink well too?
Old 04 November 2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I think triplets are always triplets, though I think that it might be possible that two of them are identical twins, though I don't know if that has ever happened.
Some friends of my parents had them. Identical twin girls, and a triplet boy. I guess they started out as fraternal twins and then one of the eggs split and became twins.

ETA: Ok, I don't know if they had the genetic analysis done, but when I saw them about 6ish, the girls sure looked identical, and the boy...well, was not.
Old 04 November 2016, 03:32 PM

Icon202

Hi All:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I got called a "lush" once (I was about 21) by a woman from Brooklyn. I assume it is short for "luscious", and so I was flattered.
Just a point of interest apropos of nothing in particular, but according to the Online Etymological Dictionary, "lush" comes from a slang term for "liquor."

So while you may indeed be quite luscious, Richard W, it would seem that this wasn't the part of your appearance to which your friend from Brooklyn was referring.

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "Looking lush" ab Arthur
Old 04 November 2016, 03:32 PM

Good point, the apparently identical girls I went to high school probably didn't have that testing done. I don't think it was even available when they were born, in the early 1960s.
Old 04 November 2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Good point, the apparently identical girls I went to high school probably didn't have that testing done. I don't think it was even available when they were born, in the early 1960s.
It turns out that monozygotic twinning occurs astonishingly frequently after assisted reproductive technologies that manipulate the embryos like IVF. Like 10 times more common than normal. So you might have two embryos implanted and end up with 3 babies, two of them being MZ

Nick
Old 04 November 2016, 10:42 PM

How did people kill werewolves before there were bullets, silver or otherwise?
Old 04 November 2016, 10:49 PM

IMS, werewolves have incredibly fast healing and silver prevents that. So any silver weapon would act on them like it would on an ordinary creature.

ETA: So, silver arrowheads, silver quarrels, silver daggers, etc.
Old 04 November 2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Guns caused werewolves, obviously.

Contemporary accounts of werewolves generally allowed that the werewolf was incredibly vicious but quite mortal. It might take a bunch of angry villagers in concert with a bunch of skilled hunters and maybe some army dudes, but they could be killed with clubs and knives. Not sure where the silver came from. Probably Hammer Films.
Old 05 November 2016, 01:30 AM

Why is BBC America showing marathon episodes of the original Star Trek series? I can (sort of) understand them showing TNG, because Patrick Stewart is English, but I can't make a similar connection with TOS.
Old 05 November 2016, 04:24 AM

Quote:
In the Lon Chaney, Jr "Wolfman" the titular character was killed by being struck with a silver headed walking stick.
Old 05 November 2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Why is BBC America showing marathon episodes of the original Star Trek series? I can (sort of) understand them showing TNG, because Patrick Stewart is English, but I can't make a similar connection with TOS.
Because they aired TNG? That's the only serious connection. I won't say it's Scotty, because nu-uh. Beyond that... most likely, marketing forces; perhaps they feel they can draw in more American viewers with a cornerstone of American TV? (<-- pure speculation)
Old 05 November 2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
There probably isn't anything new or recent available to them that'll both fill the schedule and draw viewers.
Old 06 November 2016, 11:58 AM

It could also be related to the recent release of the current Star Trek movie for home release
Old 06 November 2016, 03:49 PM

Baseball

It might also be loosely tied to the 50th anniversary of the original series. It was about 2 months ago that I saw the even commemorated in North America. Perhaps the series showed in the UK a couple of months later.
Old 07 November 2016, 03:32 PM

Wolf

Quote:
If I recall correctly, the werewolf in the original The Wolf Man was beaten to death with a silver-topped cane.
Old 07 November 2016, 04:36 PM

Wolf

Quote:
Beheading, exorcism, medicinal plants such as wolfsbane, etc etc.. The susceptibility to silver thing is relatively recent.
Old 07 November 2016, 07:46 PM

When raking leaves, if one has to collect the leaves in a container is it faster/more efficient to rake inwards to a central pile or rake everything to the edge of the lawn (like you would if you were raking them to the curb) before consolidating into a pile?
Old 08 November 2016, 12:25 AM

I suppose it depends on your leaf-fall distribution! I usually do inwards-to-central pile, the only advantage I could think for that over edge-length pile is that if the pile is immediately higher so it's easier to grab it up to put it in bags sooner. Because you are putting the energy into bringing it into the central pile in one swoop, instead of bringing things "down" and then having to bring them "over" you can just "hypotenuse" them right to the middle of the yard and probably save some time/energy.
Old 08 November 2016, 02:03 AM

Raking into a central pile is usually more efficient unless the majority of the leaves fall on or near the curb. Take a yard 10 meters square; If you rake to one edge, the average length raked will be approximately 5 meters. If raking to the center, the average is 2 1/2 meters.
Closed Thread