snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 04 October 2016, 11:39 AM

2. ]A should be Aida and C Carmen, but B beats me.
Old 04 October 2016, 11:58 AM

1. What kind of event can have a Plinian phase and a Pelean phase?

Volcanic eruptions.

2. What three operatic standards make up the "ABCs," the three operas performed more in the Met's history than any other?

Aida, La Boheme, Carmen.

3. Despite the show's title, what color is Piper Chapman's regular prison uniform on Orange Is the New Black?

Guessing, tan?

4. What event's winners are presented with the Claret Jug, a tradition that goes back to 1872?

I think that's a golf event, but I'm blanking on which.

5. What word for "daydreaming" derives from a fairly unprofitable peasant occupation in medieval England?

Woolgathering?

6. The Indo-Pakistani "Kargil War" of 1999 was the first war to violate Thomas Friedman's famous maxim that no two countries will go to war if both have what?

McDonalds.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these countries (and no others that I can find)? Fiji, Haiti, Libya, Lithuania, Montenegro, Syria, Wales.

Nothing comes to mind.
Old 04 October 2016, 12:18 PM

TV

Quote:

2. What three operatic standards make up the "ABCs," the three operas performed more in the Met's history than any other?

3. Despite the show's title, what color is Piper Chapman's regular prison uniform on Orange Is the New Black?

4. What event's winners are presented with the Claret Jug, a tradition that goes back to 1872?

5. What word for "daydreaming" derives from a fairly unprofitable peasant occupation in medieval England?

6. The Indo-Pakistani "Kargil War" of 1999 was the first war to violate Thomas Friedman's famous maxim that no two countries will go to war if both have what?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these countries (and no others that I can find)? Fiji, Haiti, Libya, Lithuania, Montenegro, Syria, Wales.
1. No idea
2. Aida, la Boheme, Carmen
3. Uhh... tan? I'm bad at naming colors
4. British Open (Golf)
5. No idea
6. McDonalds
7. No idea
Old 04 October 2016, 02:08 PM

The Open Championship (aka - The British Open)
Old 04 October 2016, 02:17 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Volcanic eruption? I'd assume Plinian refers to gases and Pelean to lava.
Quote:

Being literal, I'd say Aida, Barber of Seville and Carmen.
Quote:

Gray. Don't watch the show, but the colors I've seen look more red than orange to me.
Quote:

The Ashes, since winners is plural (if it were singular, I'd guess the Grand National, but it's not, so I won't).
Quote:

a brown study. Oooh, yuck. ETA: I like Chillas's answer, but now I'm overthinking it and wondering if that was unprofitable.
Quote:

Haven't ever heard of this Friedman guy, so this is a wild, wrong, but heartfelt guess--more to lose than to gain.
Quote:

At first glance, with Haiti, Libya and Syria on the list, I have to wonder if it has something to do with famines. But it can't be that, because China's not on the list. So maybe it has something to do with being conquered, but it has to be an unusual something.

Seaboe
Old 04 October 2016, 02:25 PM

The first thing that came to my mind for this was navel gazing, but whereas I can see that being unprofitable, I can't really see it being an occupation.
Old 04 October 2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Oooh, yuck. ETA: I like Chillas's answer, but now I'm overthinking it and wondering if that was unprofitable.
It refers to woolgathering rather than shearing. The former sounds like gathering up loose bits of wool, perhaps from trees where the sheep would scratch themselves. If so, that would be pretty unprofitable due to the low amounts such a method would produce.
Old 04 October 2016, 02:33 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
It refers to...
Yes, I know. I also know, however (having read a lot about fiber) that they could easily collect enough to stuff their shoes which created a form of sock that kept their feet warm (straw was also used, but wool was not only warmer, it lasted longer and was better in the wet). So I don't know that it was unprofitable.

Seaboe
Old 04 October 2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Enjoy!
1. WAG - a volcanic eruption?
2. Aida, Barber of Seville, Carmen
3. Never saw it so I'll guess purple
4. Kentucky Derby
5. Woolgathering
6. Nuclear arms
7. The terrain of each is listed as 100% mountainous
Old 04 October 2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Haven't ever heard of this Friedman guy, so this is a wild, wrong, but heartfelt guess--more to lose than to gain.

Seaboe
Ahh, Seaboe, I am afraid that has been true of too many wars. So many have been fought when pride or political manipulation has been the real motive.
Old 11 October 2016, 10:34 AM

Ken Jennings writes:
Well folks, I just put on the leather aviator's hat and goggles that I wear every Sunday night when I write Tuesday Trivia. I put my "snacking platter" on the sideboard, took the lid off the bean dip, and bolted my office door. I have my incense sticks lit, my Dusty Springfield: Live at the BBC all cued up, green gels on all my office lights, my ferret Dexter draped over my shoulder, life-sized standees of the entire Deep Space Nine cast placed behind my desk chair, and both my children at boarding school in Switzerland.

My phone is on airplane mode.

Friends, we are ready for action.

And with that ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

Pliny was a Roman author who died in the eruption of Vesuvius; Pele is a Hawaiian volcano goddess. Their respective phases are two different types of volcanic eruption.

Aida and Carmen seem like the easy ones to me. What's B, though? The Barber of Seville? Boris Gudonov? Nope: La Boheme.

Only new prisoners at Litchfield wear the titular orange. Everyone else is in khaki.

The original jug can be seen on display at the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews. It's given every year to the winner of the British Open.

Woolgathering (picking bits of stray sheep's wool off of bushes and fences) is generally about as productive as the other kind of woolgathering.

Friedman's Golden Arches Theory of Conflict Prevention states that nations won't make war anymore if they each have a McDonald's. Sadly, we now have multiple examples (must recently Russia and Ukraine fighting over the Crimea) to show that this "theory" no longer holds.

These countries have each had exactly one king in their histories. Somebody (Idris I!) was the first and last king of Libya. Someone else (Mindaugas) was the first and last king of Lithuania. (Note to nitpickers: there were multiple so-called "Kings of Syria" in antiquity and "Kings of Wales" medievally who didn't actually reign over a unified Syria or Wales equivalent to the modern country.) Did I miss any better candidates?

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What 1504 painting in Madrid's Prado is a triptych with one panel representing Eden, a second the title location, and a third Hell?

2. What digital media company is named for the Japanese word for six, because it was founder Anthony Wood's sixth company?

3. What's the only African country with a flag that's red, white, and blue (and no other colors)?

4. What venerable touring company was purchased by Dorothy Hamill in 1993, but went out of business for good in 1997?

5. Raffia fiber comes from the largest leaves in the plant world, found on a genus of what kind of tree?

6. What late actor, born Jerome Silberman, renamed himself for the protagonist of a novel he loved (Look Homeward, Angel) and to honor his favorite play (Our Town)?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these musical artists, listed in this order? Santana, Aerosmith, Tina Turner, Meat Loaf, Johnny Mathis, Robert John, Steve Winwood, Billy Vera, Bob Seger.

Enjoy!
Old 11 October 2016, 10:46 AM

3. What's the only African country with a flag that's red, white, and blue (and no other colors)?

Liberia

5. Raffia fiber comes from the largest leaves in the plant world, found on a genus of what kind of tree?

Palm tree

6. What late actor, born Jerome Silberman, renamed himself for the protagonist of a novel he loved (Look Homeward, Angel) and to honor his favorite play (Our Town)?

Gene Wilder
Old 11 October 2016, 11:40 AM

1. Bosch?

3. Palm tree.
Old 11 October 2016, 12:53 PM

1. Maybe Purgatory?

3. Liberia
Old 11 October 2016, 01:27 PM

Oh darn! I misread the first question and answered with that I thought the artist's name was!

I still wonder if I'm right about even that, though...
Old 11 October 2016, 01:30 PM

1. is probably the garden of earthly delights, but it's a little weird to call it the title location, since it wasn't titled by the painter. It's just called that.

2 I should know but can't think of it.

3. Liberia

4 must be Icecapades

5 palm
Old 11 October 2016, 02:18 PM

Driver

Quote:
1. What 1504 painting in Madrid's Prado is a triptych with one panel representing Eden, a second the title location, and a third Hell?

2. What digital media company is named for the Japanese word for six, because it was founder Anthony Wood's sixth company?

4. What venerable touring company was purchased by Dorothy Hamill in 1993, but went out of business for good in 1997?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these musical artists, listed in this order? Santana, Aerosmith, Tina Turner, Meat Loaf, Johnny Mathis, Robert John, Steve Winwood, Billy Vera, Bob Seger

1. Purgatory?
2. Roku
3. Liberia?
4. Icecapades?
5. Palm
6. Gene Wilder
7. I don't know
Old 11 October 2016, 02:19 PM

1. What 1504 painting in Madrid's Prado is a triptych with one panel representing Eden, a second the title location, and a third Hell? Gotta be The Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymus Bosch

3. What's the only African country with a flag that's red, white, and blue (and no other colors)? Liberia?

4. What venerable touring company was purchased by Dorothy Hamill in 1993, but went out of business for good in 1997? Must be The Ice Capades

5. Raffia fiber comes from the largest leaves in the plant world, found on a genus of what kind of tree? I'm thinking it's got to be some kind of palm tree

6. What late actor, born Jerome Silberman, renamed himself for the protagonist of a novel he loved (Look Homeward, Angel) and to honor his favorite play (Our Town)? Pretty sure this is Gene Wilder

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these musical artists, listed in this order? Santana, Aerosmith, Tina Turner, Meat Loaf, Johnny Mathis, Robert John, Steve Winwood, Billy Vera, Bob Seger. "In this order?" Wow, I haven't a clue. I can think of a few Hollywood connections for most of these, but nothing that would tie them together.
Old 11 October 2016, 02:22 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Woolgathering (picking bits of stray sheep's wool off of bushes and fences) is generally about as productive as the other kind of woolgathering.
I still disagree, for the reasons buried in the white out above.

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

I can't think of any famous paintings called Heaven, but can think of one called Gethsemene (however that's spelled). That would not be a good fit with the description, however. Maybe Sodom and/or Gomorrah?
Quote:

Acorn. Just kidding. I'll probably have a duh moment when I see the answer, but for now I'm going to say Atari.
Quote:

Liberia?
Quote:

Not Thos. Cook, of Cook's Tours (I swear I've seen them recently). TheIce Capades.
Quote:

Banana? Oops, not a tree. How about Palm, then.
Quote:

I haven't a clue. This is not a good week for me. Oh, I've got it! Gene Wilder.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these musical artists, listed in this order? Santana, Aerosmith, Tina Turner, Meat Loaf, Johnny Mathis, Robert John, Steve Winwood, Billy Vera, Bob Seger.
For some bizarre reason, I initially read this as what visual distinction instead of unusual distinction. I don't know two of the artists, but that's par for the course. Let's see. Santana has have a variety of members, Tina Turner changed her name (as did Meat Loaf, although I seem to recall reading that that is now his legal name), Winwood was a child prodigy, Seger is from Detroit and was well established locally before he started having hits in the 80s. I'm going to say they all hit it bigger during a comeback than they were originally.

Seaboe
Old 11 October 2016, 05:30 PM

No. 2 is Roku.
Closed Thread