snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 25 August 2016, 03:55 PM

I just found out that my old school burned down at the weekend:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-37148332
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ar-after-blaze

(It was called Manhood Community College when I was there in the 1980s, but it's the same school). There was a fire once before while I was there, when part of the changing rooms and the corner of the gym burned down when some roofers set fire to the roof, but that did a comparatively small amount of damage and only closed the school for a couple of weeks. This fire looks to have completely gutted it... (Although it was probably also caused by a workman on the roof).

Luckily it happened during the summer holidays rather than term time. The latest story is that they'll be able to get people back in to temporary classrooms some time in the next term, but it's still going to cause a lot of disruption since it's the only secondary school for miles around.
Old 25 August 2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Have you ever gotten a good look at Sally Jessy Raphael's glasses? Just sayin'.
Now THAT's a look.

I didn't bother getting a new pair of glasses after I lost those until 2014, when I opted to get two new pairs and retire the old ones (Anyone else have an issue where, I don't know if it's oils in the skin or... toxins leeching out from my poor diet, but the area where the plastic of the frame contacts the skin becomes deteriorated and weirdly bumpy? anyway...). One's a little more typical and "business like" I guess you could say, and the others which I am wearing now are actually a bit similar to the red pair in shape/style.

Richard, so sorry to hear about your school. But glad to hear that no one was hurt, that could have been devastating.
Old 25 August 2016, 07:13 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
(Anyone else have an issue where, I don't know if it's oils in the skin or... toxins leeching out from my poor diet, but the area where the plastic of the frame contacts the skin becomes deteriorated and weirdly bumpy? anyway...)
Well, it can't be toxins because toxins don't leech out of your skin. Sweat is water and the oily/waxy stuff your sebacious glands put out, and that's it. And yes, I've had that happen, although it takes a good long while. For me it usually happens on the ear pieces.

I have enough money in my HSA to replace them (my out of pocket is out of rageous), but I'd really rather not have to. I'm a little amazed at how quickly I came to depend on them, since I've never had prescription sunglasses before.

On another note, I had to drive down to Auburn for work. I think it's sad that a 27 mile drive (almost entirely on freeways) took 50 minutes in the middle of the morning (i.e., after rush hour) and that was considered fast. The round trip, less than 60 miles, took almost exactly 2 hours. I do admit to taking a quick trip through a fast-food drive through on the way back, and spending maybe 5-10 minutes at my destination, but still.

Seaboe
Old 25 August 2016, 07:41 PM

Job-landing vibes, please, for my daughter. She's up for a new job that she really, really needs. Thank you.
Old 25 August 2016, 09:46 PM

I recently found out that my old elementary school in Syracuse is now senior housing, run by the same company that manages the complex I live in.
Old 25 August 2016, 10:43 PM

Sending vibes for your daughter to get the job, Lainie!
Old 26 August 2016, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
But glad to hear that no one was hurt, that could have been devastating.
Yes, it was pretty lucky by the looks of things. (Technically, one fireman was slightly hurt, but that was because he was hit by a car while directing traffic rather than anything to do with the fire...)

The previous fire happened during an actual school day, and we were all evacuated to the tennis courts thinking it was a drill until the fire engines turned up. It was certainly nowhere near as dramatic as the film there - I don't even remember seeing smoke. The people who were in games at the time lost their clothes (that they'd changed out of) to smoke damage, and the changing rooms and one corner of the gym and the back of the hall had either fire or smoke damage, but most of the school was untouched; I think it was only closed completely for a couple of days (rather than weeks as I said before) but the gym and changing rooms were out of action for some time. Even that felt quite dramatic at the time, but this looks a lot more so...

Usually my parents would have seen it all happening - especially that massive smoke plume - and told me about it, but as it happens the whole extended family was in Devon for my dad's 70th birthday on the day it happened, and most of them are still there, so we didn't know about it until I spotted somebody talking about it on Facebook earlier today and told them...!
Old 26 August 2016, 01:35 PM

Great webcomic I saw on Twitter today...

Old 27 August 2016, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
My brother is selling a classic car on eBay for about $10,000 and he's had an interstate guy buy it, but he's in the army so he couldn't pick it up until December. Any alarm bells ringing yet? The buyer suddenly had an opening and he can come and pick it up next weekend but instead of bringing a car trailer from interstate he's bought one online which is close to my brother and he's sent the $2,300 to my brother's personal account so he can go pick up the trailer and have it ready when the buyer arrives. Any alarm bells now? Oh and eBay/Paypal haven't cleared the $10,000 payment yet, that'll clear the week after the guy picks up the car.

So that's definitely a scam, right?
Update: I convinced my brother not to pick up the car trailer himself so he sent the guy's $2,300 back. The buyer went and picked up the trailer himself and collected the car from my brother today. PayPal are still holding the payment for the car and it won't clear until Sunday/Monday but my brother is pretty certain the buyer was legit and not a scammer.

I guess we'll find out real soon!
Old 28 August 2016, 01:31 AM

I have been working in vet clinics for many years, so normally I can maintain a clinical detachment when clients bring their pets in for euthanasia. But today a client brought his (dying) cat in who sounded exactly like she was speaking English. In her carrier she was saying "Hi! Hi! Hi!" in the way that little kids do when they see a new person. We literally thought there was a kid in the lobby, that's how human this cat sounded. The knowledge that we were going to euthanize her really tore me up inside. The emotional part of my brain couldn't cope with the idea of killing an animal that could "talk". If she'd been meowing like a normal cat, it would have been a routine procedure, but she sounded just like a human and it really got to me.
Old 29 August 2016, 01:14 PM

Today is my wedding anniversary. I posted on FaceBook "Do you know what you were doing xx years ago? I do," with a photo from the wedding.

An uncle responds, "yup, getting my second divorce."

I just had to laugh.

He later added,"but, congrats on your anniversary".
Old 29 August 2016, 10:17 PM

My first grader's class is going to be on the local news tomorrow. The teachers uses flexible seating which I guess is newsworthy. I hope it goes well. My super shy kid is excited about this and hopes they use her saying what her favorite seat is. Maybe she'll let me brush her hair for once.
Old 30 August 2016, 02:03 PM

Words of wisdom here...

Old 30 August 2016, 07:23 PM

I mentioned to my yoga instructor that I wanted to start working on a headstand, and she devoted a big chunk of our lunchtime class to it (which thrilled my co-workers who weren't planning to be upside down today). In the end I was able to hold a couple good ones, and now I'm all pumped. I can't wait to get stronger.
Old 30 August 2016, 07:47 PM

quink, is that with or without a wall or other balancing support for the feet?
Old 30 August 2016, 08:23 PM

We were going from dolphin pose to wall to get the arm and head positioning right, then moving off of the wall to work on the balance for those who wanted to (it's a small workplace class, so there are different ability levels.) I can only hold for about 20 seconds unsupported so far, so I'm still keeping the wall close until I'm a little more stable.
Old 31 August 2016, 06:23 PM

Local weather report on radio:

"Expect heavy rain and gusty winds today and, well just expect tropical storm conditions for the next couple days."
Old 31 August 2016, 11:36 PM

I closed on the house this morning. I spent the rest of the afternoon discovering all the little annoying things wrong with it that I never noticed during viewings or inspection. (The fans aren't controlled by any wall switches; there's no phone jack in the living room; apparently no one who's lived there has ever been able to install a screw in a proper horizontal position; the toilet is way too close to the bathtub so when you sit on the toilet your leg is touching the tub; the kitchen window won't open even though I swear the inspector opened all the windows to check them. And I already broke the screen door and knocked a closet door off its hinges, yay me.)

I did get all the pee-stained carpets ripped up and out to the trash by myself. The smell is still there though.
Old 01 September 2016, 01:18 AM

Congratulations on your house, Cervus!

-- even if you are learning the truth of the saying, 'when you buy a house, you don't live in the house, you just sleep in the house. You live in the hardware store.'

All of that is fixable*, though (as you probably know, since you put it in the category of "little annoying things".) Try Nature's Miracle** for, or rather against, the urine stink -- you may need a pet supplies store for that.

*warning: the chances that you will ever get everything fixed at once are not large. Overall improvement, however, may well occur.

** uh oh. the web page is now going on about new scents in the stuff. Part of the reason I like it so much is that it isn't scented!! -- maybe the older version will still be available.
Old 01 September 2016, 01:26 AM

The house really needs a good ventilation, but it's simply too hot and humid to open to windows right now (At least, the windows that will open.)

I also discovered that the peephole in the front door is so scratched from the outside, it's completely opaque. Can those be replaced? How?

I guess I should post that in the Home & Garden questions thread.
Closed Thread