snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 22 February 2013, 01:50 PM

Icon105 'Doubleheader' funeral service held for NY couple

Norman Hendrickson was known for telling jokes and never wasting money. So when he died suddenly while en route to his wife's funeral, the couple's daughters knew there was only one thing to do: Hold a doubleheader service. The 94-year-old World War II veteran's impromptu wake was held Saturday at the same eastern New York funeral home where his wife Gwen's funeral was already scheduled. She was 89 when she died on Feb. 8. After Norman died just steps from the funeral home, the daughters decided their parents would be mourned together at the same time. The daughters said it was a fitting way to say goodbye to a couple who had been together since meeting in Europe during World War II and who had been married for nearly 66 years.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/news/us/ar...le-4296757.php
Old 22 February 2013, 06:10 PM

Something in my eye.

There was a long married couple in my family who died a month apart. She went first and though he had been in good health it was like the wind went out of his sails.
Old 22 February 2013, 08:32 PM

I thought we were going to have that happen at my grandmother's funeral this last weekend. She passed away about a month ago, and my grandfather wanted to wait awhile before we had any sort of memorial. She died at 93 and he's 94 and in poor health as it is. We weren't sure he was going to make it to the memorial, but he did. He fell asleep about halfway through and we were all a little worried he wasn't going to wake up.

I doubt he'll be around for much longer. He's a fighter, but since they met in 1941, they haven't been apart long and he did everything for her.