snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > History

Old 14 May 2014, 02:04 PM

United Kingdom 10 Evil Crimes Of The British Empire

http://listverse.com/2014/02/04/10-e...ritish-empire/

At its height, the British Empire was the largest to have ever existed. Aside from covering most of the globe, it was responsible for some of the greatest advances in engineering, art, and medicine that the world will ever know. The Empire gave us steam engines, penicillin, radar, and even television.

However, life under the British wasn’t all just incredible inventions. Alongside the good stuff the Empire did sat a whole ream of not-so-good stuff, and alongside that a whole load of other stuff so evil it’d make Dick Dastardly balk.
Old 14 May 2014, 03:21 PM

Baseball

The author has an axe to grind, that is for sure.

He has oversimplified a lot of complex points.

The most obvious from my studies** was about the Bengal Famine.

Much of the area starving close to Japanese lines. So, lionising Churchill as the engineer of this disaster is not exactly correct. Churchill may have been a heartless man when it came to the results of tactical action to achieve operational and strategic aims, but there were far more factors involved than his thoughts on the population.

And, factually, the "well-supplied" British Army was almost anything but. They could not get enough actual supplies to wage the fight they needed that they improvised incredible amounts. Most famously, to air supply the troops that were cut off by the Japanese, the British/Indian forces could not get any parachutes. They then started making them out of paper instead of silk and other materials.

1943 saw the height of the Japanese conquest. The probability of shipping getting to India was moderate to low. With the Japanese Empire pressing on the doorstep, and the risk to lose strategic shipping, and the incompetence of the British and Indian civil servants to assess or account for the starving population, it was a bad situation all around.

Back to the article, much of what the author states in this particular bit of the article is from a book, which is unnamed. And even much of the information that is from the book uses the words "allegedly", which means that either the author of the book has no good evidence, or the author of the article has doubts on the veracity of the book. Given the tone, I submit that the author of the article believes wholesale what is in the book. I would not doubt that this is a fringe book.

Wikipedia has a bit better article on this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengal_famine_of_1943

**For full disclosure, I was awarded a scholarship to attend university from an Indian association based upon my work in high school on India and Burma, which included the Bengal province. Further, during my early professional studies, I was tasked to study and prepare two papers on the WWII battles of Imphal and Kohima, in the area of the famine.