snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 18 December 2015, 03:52 PM

Frying Pan Life's ups and downs

This is a mix between the Little Things That Annoy You thread and the Little Things That Make You Happy thread except it covers the situations which are a mix of both!

For example:
The Good: that huge rat who has been living the high life in my kitchen these last few weeks finally blundered into a rat trap and got killed
The Bad: I didn't notice for a few days and we've had a heat wave and the flies found him a long time before I did so when I finally found the corpse it was all slimy and maggot ridden. GROSS
Old 18 December 2015, 07:38 PM

The good: Chicago was elected to the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame!

The bad: I won't be able to watch the induction ceremony because I don't have HBO(and I'm not getting it just for that).
Old 18 December 2015, 08:14 PM

How about mixing those threads with First World Problems:

The Good: Great weather for running and even biking!
The Bad: Cancel the local(ish) ski trip!
Old 19 December 2015, 02:13 AM

The Good: I have a purring kitty lying next to me
The Bad: In order to keep him purring I have to keep petting him and it's making my arm tired.

Old 19 December 2015, 05:47 AM

Love that paw. It's like a kitty hallelujah.
Old 19 December 2015, 07:52 AM

The Good: We're no longer in a drought!

The Bad: We got more than an inch of rain in 24 hours, it's been pouring all week, and we're starting to get mudslides. Some lady over on the coast was killed in one last night.
Old 29 February 2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
How about mixing those threads with First World Problems:
Yay! Muse are headlining Glastonbury!
Boo! I won't be able to join the scrum for ticket re-sales in April because I'll be on holiday in Hawaii!

(Beat THAT for FWP)
Old 14 March 2016, 10:17 PM

The Bad: Our TV finally gave up the ghost and presented us with sound but no picture. This is the 4th time in about as many years as this has happened.

The Good: Boy that extended warranty plan paid off! We were refunded the purchase price of the TV and used it to get a new one.

The "Holy Crap Boy Were We Lucky": The extended warranty plan ran out on the 29th of March... the TV died last week.
Old 14 March 2016, 10:26 PM

The bad: My 2001 Prius was rear ended 2 weeks ago at a very low speed. The insurance company totaled it as repairs were estimated at $2900 and the value of the car at $2400.

The good: I can keep the car and the insurance company says they are sending me a check for $2000. The only reason the car wasn't driveable is that the trunk wouldn't stay closed and the trunk light was staying on running the battery dead. I fixed that Saturday with a big hammer and am driving the car with no problem today. And due to a technicality in Texas law, I don't have to get a salvage title.
Old 14 March 2016, 10:38 PM

The bad: I'm sick with a cold I caught from my kids, and apparently my body thinks it should react like I'm a kid, too when I get these. Since having kids I've been getting significant fevers from colds, plus several ear infections--my ears are ringing severely from this one, although they have stopped hurting now.

The good: I did drag myself in to work* for a few hours on Friday for a meeting I did not want to miss. The leader of the group I work with specifically tracked me down after the meeting to tell me that she really appreciates my contributions and is glad that I'm here. She even gave an example of a recent contribution, and how she was initially puzzled but once she thought about it, realized how much sense it made.

* I was extremely careful about hand hygiene, and I was not at a sneezing or coughing point in the cold. And I left to work from home immediately after the meeting. I am not someone who thinks it is laudible to come in and expose one's coworkers to one's illnesses when it can easily be avoided.
Old 15 March 2016, 03:06 PM

Glasses

I sympathize, erwins, although my experience with the cycle of trading colds isn't direct. First my sister and my father did it for many years, and then, just when she'd gotten used to not getting so many colds, my sister started the cycle again with one of her sons.

Seaboe
Old 04 November 2016, 08:19 PM

Wasn't sure if this was an upper and downer or a first world problem.

Daughter and I went to the Obama rally yesterday at University of North Florida campus, getting in line about 10AM for a 1:30PM speech. Speaking time was pushed back to 3PM and then eventually about 3:40PM for the main event.

Waiting and waiting, but we did not make the cut for entry to the main event in the arena, so we were shuttled off to the overflow in the field house, with the large projection screen from the main arena.

Bummer.

President Obama spoke first in the field house, a much shorter speech, of course, than the main event, but we were within 20 feet of his speaking position and maybe a foot away from being able to shake his hand as he came along the crowd line.

We stayed and watched him being introduced at the main event and then headed off to the parking lot to beat all the traffic out of UNF and much of the I-295 traffic to get back to Clay County.
Old 07 November 2016, 07:37 AM

Down: a housemate informed me that he wouldn't be able to pay his share of a HUGE bill the day before it was due and I didn't have enough spare cash to cover his share.

Up: I rang the utility company's automated help line and the computer gave me a 2 week extension straight away, and I then spoke to a human consultant to check that my concession details were up to date and it turns out they weren't so the consultant calculated the reductions and backdated them for several months.
Old 07 November 2016, 01:35 PM

My life is currently a tug-of-war between free time and money. I'm not getting a ton of job assignments right now, which means lots of free time to work on creative projects. Hooray! It also means there's not much money coming in. Boo!

Work is supposed to pick up lot crazy over the holidays, though, which will mean lots of money. Hooray! It also means I'll have very little time to spend with my visiting family. Boo!

Last edited by Veruca; 07 November 2016 at 01:35 PM. Reason: grammar