snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 19 June 2018, 02:32 PM

Glasses

I've had Mormons, but not JWs. Being Seattle, lots and lots of environmentalists. They get very indignant when I don't want to talk to them, or even just listen to their spiels.

I'm also one of those rare people who don't think that, just because you knock on my door, I have to answer. I haven't gotten over the impulse to leave the room, though.

Seaboe
Old 19 June 2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I'm also one of those rare people who don't think that, just because you knock on my door, I have to answer. I haven't gotten over the impulse to leave the room, though.

Seaboe
I had someone come to the door in the early evening a few weeks ago, I was home alone and didn't want to answer the door. I wasn't afraid I just couldn't be bothered and assumed it was someone connected to the election. Anyway they would not leave. Rang the bell. Waited a few moments. Knocked on the door. Waited a few moments. Rang the bell. I was upstairs and looked out to reassure myself that it actually was a stranger at the door. It was. I half expected them to start circling the house peering in windows to see if they could see someone. I don't care if they knew for a fact that someone was home (although I don't know how they could have) if I don't answer the door I have my reasons. Go away!
Old 19 June 2018, 02:53 PM

Glasses

Since I don't have blinds or curtains on my living room windows, and the stairs to the door go right past the windows, if I'm in the living room, they'll definitely know I'm home. If they take me by surprise (i.e., I didn't notice them approaching), I usually answer. Otherwise, I ignore them--and leave the room.

I've never had one knock on the window. I have had people argue with me about listening to them, and I once had to tell someone to get off my property (...you young hoodlum!). To their credit, they did leave.

Seaboe
Old 19 June 2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
If I want to show people I care about a cause and gave money I can wear a pin or ribbon or sticker.
That's the opposite of what I do. I refuse to wear pins, badges, or wrist bands to indicate support, especially those "wear-this-to-show-you-are-against-(fill in cause here)" ones that are so prevalent. Being against something terrible like domestic violence or cancer is the default position. I don't need to show it as an option that I chose.
Old 19 June 2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I had someone come to the door in the early evening a few weeks ago, I was home alone and didn't want to answer the door. I wasn't afraid I just couldn't be bothered and assumed it was someone connected to the election. Anyway they would not leave. Rang the bell. Waited a few moments. Knocked on the door. Waited a few moments. Rang the bell. I was upstairs and looked out to reassure myself that it actually was a stranger at the door. It was. I half expected them to start circling the house peering in windows to see if they could see someone. I don't care if they knew for a fact that someone was home (although I don't know how they could have) if I don't answer the door I have my reasons. Go away!
Quote:
Since I don't have blinds or curtains on my living room windows, and the stairs to the door go right past the windows, if I'm in the living room, they'll definitely know I'm home. If they take me by surprise (i.e., I didn't notice them approaching), I usually answer. Otherwise, I ignore them--and leave the room.
That's my rule, too.

If I'm home it might be my quiet time during which I'm not obligated to answer the door or the phone.

And I had an experience too, with two people at the door ringing the bell, and, not getting the hint that I wouldn't answer, just stood there and rang it again a little while later.

I also don't believe someone preaching at my door would be a productive endeavor for me or for them. I have my beliefs; they're not likely to get me to adopt their beliefs; I'm not likely to get them to adopt mine (if I was so inclined).

Thanks.

Bill
Old 19 June 2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

I also don't believe someone preaching at my door would be a productive endeavor for me or for them. I have my beliefs; they're not likely to get me to adopt their beliefs; I'm not likely to get them to adopt mine (if I was so inclined).

Thanks.

Bill

This, this, and this again.
Old 19 June 2018, 10:02 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I also don't believe someone preaching at my door would be a productive endeavor for me or for them. I have my beliefs; they're not likely to get me to adopt their beliefs; I'm not likely to get them to adopt mine (if I was so inclined)...
I just tell them that I know what they are selling and I'm interested.
Old 19 June 2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I just tell them that I know what they are selling and I'm interested.
Is there a "not" missing in that sentence?
Old 19 June 2018, 11:26 PM

Yes, that's 'not interested'.
Old 20 June 2018, 01:15 PM

Icon401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
If I want to show people I care about a cause and gave money I can wear a pin or ribbon or sticker.
That's the opposite of what I do. I refuse to wear pins, badges, or wrist bands to indicate support, especially those "wear-this-to-show-you-are-against-(fill in cause here)" ones that are so prevalent. Being against something terrible like domestic violence or cancer is the default position. I don't need to show it as an option that I chose.
Allow me to stress the "If I want to show people I care about a cause...." I generally don't wear those things either. The only times I will are to show solidarity with a contribution campaign in the office (what we were discussing in the first place) or if it's a cause that needs more publicity and I'm willing to answer the "what's that ribbon for?" questions. In either case, it's short-term only.

Quote:
I'm also one of those rare people who don't think that, just because you knock on my door, I have to answer.
Amen. And the telephone. I just plain do not answer the phone if I don't recognize the number. If it's important, leave a message.
Old 20 June 2018, 02:29 PM

Glasses

Roto-hammering. For the next two weeks, it will be going on from 6:30 to 2 pm every day on the two floors below me (I work 7-3:30, so practically my entire work day). Yesterday, it drove me to work from home. I had tensed up from the noise and vibration so much that my TMJ kicked in.

My jaw aches a little from yesterday, but does not hurt. However, I've already decided that if it starts hurting today, I am going home again--sick leave, this time.

Seaboe
Old 20 June 2018, 08:50 PM

One of our relatively new hires has this habit of sighing loudly and frequently. As in, every few minutes, with vocalization. Usually the office is so loud that I can't hear her, but we both came in over the weekend and I could hear her from several cubicles over. I counted at one point; she sighed three times in five minutes. I put in earbuds (without music, which I often find too distracting) and I could still hear her. I am a self-diagnosed misophone, so this made me absolutely crazy.
Old 21 June 2018, 02:08 PM

Glasses

I wonder if she has breathing issues she's unaware of.

I have a friend who sighs dramatically, grunts (commentary type, not exertion), and mutters to herself. It makes her sound like an old woman. I asked her once if she realized she muttered, and she did not. My question, however, has not made her more aware of (and thus more likely to control) this behavior.

Drives me crazy to the point that I don't like to be in the same room with her for long periods if we're not doing the same activity.

Seaboe
Old 21 June 2018, 11:40 PM

I guess this could also be a TISHTTM. About two weeks ago I decided to cook up a batch of tomato sauce to store/freeze. I was a few drinks in, so I initially burned the garlic (so the sauce turned out quite bitter- not unbearable when it's actually in a dish, and I lessened it with some squeezes of lemon, but still), and then I guess in a desire to balance out that error, very much undercooked the white onion. In recent years I've come around to the mouthfeel of a raw onion, but only in appropriate dishes like in a pico de gallo or as a burger topping.

Well, last week I used some of the sauce to make a lasagna which turned out delicious. But for some reason as I'm eating the heated up leftovers, the crunch of the onion texture is unbearable. Maybe because I'm just cranky and sensitive today but it made the meal a bit miserable as every time I bit down I wondered if I was going to get that crunch again.

LTTAM- undercooked onions in sauce. TISHTTM- don't get plastered before making sauce....
Old 22 June 2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
In recent years I've come around to the mouthfeel of a raw onion,
Say mouthfeel one more time!

ETA: Actually, I don't really care, it just reminded me of that strip.
Old 22 June 2018, 06:49 AM

Ah, Sydney Scoville.

Somehow, I knew that scrip was going to get referenced once I saw that word.
Old 22 June 2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Say mouthfeel one more time!

ETA: Actually, I don't really care, it just reminded me of that strip.
Huh, weird. I read this entire comic when someone posted about it a year or two ago and pretty much never thought about it again but earlier this week it popped into my head and I was going to go check out the latest strips but couldn't remember what it was called. Thanks GY!
Old 22 June 2018, 12:37 PM

I used to read that webcomic...
I don't remember when or why I stopped...

Old 22 June 2018, 05:15 PM

wrong thread

Last edited by Sue; 22 June 2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 24 June 2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
Seeing one of my neighbors walking his dog and not having anything to clean up after it with. I would think it's a requirement for having one in this complex(not to mention simple common courtesy, especially if you're renting).
Update: This weekend, I got a note from the office stating that all tenants with animals are required to clean up after them.